Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League in Danger of Losing 4th Champions League Spot

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

kksaints wrote: »
    How does teams from the same country playing each other affect the coefficient?

Just means only 1 team can score points unless it is drawn

Quarter final will be 1 team from England and 1 from Italy

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Chelsea and Juventus will have a big say on how the rest of the points for the season pan out. If Juve can get past Bayern and Chelsea are knocked out it will be 2/6 for Italy and 3/8 for England which isn't a huge difference when you take averaging into account.

That Europa league draw was kind to Lazio, while United v Liverpool and Spurs v Dortmund is not so good for the English teams.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

One loss in the CL, two losses in the EL and one win too, I can't see this looking too good for English clubs.

What exactly needs to be done to stay ahead of Italy?

Mushy wrote: »
    One loss in the CL, two losses in the EL and one win too, I can't see this looking too good for English clubs.

Keep ahead of Italy who had one loss and a draw this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Mushy wrote: »

Keep ahead of Italy who had one loss and a draw this week

So essentially City have to get further than Juve and Liverpool have to get further than Lazio
    Juve and going to Bayern with 2 away goals against them, city are pretty much already through.
    Liverpool are goals up against United, who are English if they turn it around so makes no difference and Lazio drew with the Czech team.
    I think they will fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The Danger for England is not necessarily this year, but the next 2 years.

Italy will loose 4 points less then England next season, which brings them pretty much even. So next season England will have to do much better, as in 2 years Italy will again loose 2 points less then England.

I think they key is for English teams to take the Europe League more seriously. I can't understand the English mentality of getting to the last 16 and then to literally give a tie away by fielding a second string, like Tottenham yesterday.

What is hurting England is there number of spots this season with West Ham getting in through the fair play

England currently have 97 points divided by 8 gives them 12.125

Italy have 69 points but only 6 teams so divided by 6 gives them 11.500

If England had their normal 7 spots they would have 13.857

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

DubDani wrote: »
    I think they key is for English teams to take the Europe League more seriously. I can't understand the English mentality of getting to the last 16 and then to literally give a tie away by fielding a second string, like Tottenham yesterday.

I can in the case of Spurs. Challenging for a league for first time in donkey's years, probably going to qualify for champions league next year. Europa League is not a priority for Spurs and shouldn't be. Liverpool and United should take it seriously since their season is over in all other ways

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I can in the case of Spurs. Challenging for a league for first time in donkey's years, probably going to qualify for champions league next year. Europa League is not a priority for Spurs and shouldn't be. Liverpool and United should take it seriously since their season is over in all other ways

Plus they were playing Dortmund who'd just beat them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Those who known much more about how this is progressing than me - is there much realistic chance of this happening over the next few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Paully D wrote: »
    Those who known much more about how this is progressing than me - is there much realistic chance of this happening over the next few years?

With Spurs and Leicester in the Champions League next year it'll likely cost the Premiership points because both will be pool 4 teams and will struggle to progress past the group stages as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Jayop wrote: »
    With Spurs and Leicester in the Champions League next year it'll likely cost the Premiership points because both will be pool 4 teams and will struggle to progress past the group stages as a result.

Leicester would actually be seeded in Pool 1, as English champions. New CL seeding, which puts all the major champions into Pool 1, disregarding their co-efficient.

DubDani wrote: »
    Leicester would actually be seeded in Pool 1, as English champions. New CL seeding, which puts all the major champions into Pool 1, disregarding their co-efficient.

Ah yes, I had read that but forgot about it. So that will give them some chance avoiding the really big dogs in the group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is that eventual loss for Juventus good news for the EPL

Any Italian teams going out of either Euro Comp is good news for the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Twitter says 4th place safe for another year. Man City result better than Juves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What about in the unlikely event that Lazio win the Europa league?

Edit: Just read there that the absolute maximum amount of points Lazio can accrue is 2.5. England is 3.97 points ahead, which means it's safe for now.

Interestingly, it's next year things may become hairy as the scores from 11-12 will be removed. This will leave Italy and England next to level, so Italian teams will only have to roughly match the results of English teams to affect the coefficient for the amount of teams in Europe from 2018-2019 onwards. This year they had to do marginly better.

Martin Atkinson saves 4th English CL place

Arghus wrote: »
    What about in the unlikely event that Lazio win the Europa league?

Edit: Just read there that the absolute maximum amount of points Lazio can accrue is 2.5. England is 3.97 points ahead, which means it's safe for now.

Interestingly, it's next year things may become hairy as the scores from 11-12 will be removed. This will leave Italy and England next to level, so Italian teams will only have to roughly match the results of English teams to affect the coefficient for the amount of teams in Europe from 2018-2019 onwards. This year they had to do marginly better.

England score next year will be divided by 7 and not 8, and hopefully those in the Europa league will not give up like 2 teams did this year

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lazio 2 down early on at home to Sparta Prague, so not looking like they will progress either which would be good for English clubs as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement