Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christopher Lee 1922 - 2015

• 11-06-2015 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Just breaking.

One of the most prolific actors ever has died.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Wow! Some career & life he had. RIP.

Aw, no. But then again, he was 93, so is anyone surprised? Incredible career, one of the only LOTR cast to get Tolkien's blessing personally to star in the movie, if one would ever be made, I believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

What a life and career, will be watched for generations to come. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

he'll be back surely

legend

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He had a good run of it, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That's sad to hear. When I was small, just looking at pictures of him in movies would scare me! Great career he had.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Genre cinema is suddenly a little less respectable.

*salute*

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Aw, no. But then again, he was 93, so is anyone surprised? Incredible career, one of the only LOTR cast to get Tolkien's blessing personally to star in the movie, if one would ever be made, I believe?

Rightly so. I flew the white hand of Isengard in my heart for years...stupid hobbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Fantastic actor and career. A great life too getting 93!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Died last Sunday, awful news. :(

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One of my Lee favourites is The House of Long Shadows which is a sort of variation on the stage play Seven Keys to Baldpate. Made by *eek* Cannon of all people the film was notable for bringing together the surviving four greats of horror cinema - Lee, Vincent Price, John Carradine and Peter Cushing along with the wonderful Sheila Keith under the direction of her frequent collaborator Peter Walker. If you enjoy a charming old shaggy dog story its well worth seeking out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I am genuinely saddened by this news :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

That's 2 bond villians in their 90s gone the last few months after Louis jourdan.
    rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

An epic actor, and one of the few highlights of the woeful Attack Of The Clones, just because he was so badass.

11392794_771006459664209_3333388091772386562_n.jpg?oh=4dc3b7811eb9bf772fe826e2dcac8972&oe=55ED947A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

One of my favourite actors. Fascinating character. As described above he had a hell of a lot of strings to his bow. I watched a documentary about him on a Hammer movie dvd recently. The best bits were when he was alone speaking to the camera about various adventures he had making different movies. At one point he leaped out of his chair and grabbed an epee sword off his wall to illustrate the correct sword fighting technique he employed while making the Muskateers movies and the fallacy of some other movie fencing. Naturally, he had been an accomplished fencer in his youth. As is the way with polymaths like Lee, he was probably pretty damn good at everything he turned his hand to(apparently an ace golfer too).

On a slightly selfish note, I now have an empty seat at my ultimate dream dinner party table.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

93's a hell of a run & I think most of us would hope we have as long and varied a life as Lee managed. RIP to an actor who had charisma and dignity in spades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Great Actor that will be sadly missed.had an amazing career.... Dracula,Lord of the Rings,Star Wars ,scaramanga in James Bond etc,etc.
    His Dracula films used to scare the hell out of me as a kid.Introduced my son (17) to his hammer films when he was 12 and he now has a huge Dvd(hammer) collection and loves Christopher Lee.

RIP Mr Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

A true talent, and probably a great sense of humor too. RIP

Christoper Lee and Ron Moody both gone in one day, really is a sad day for cinema. Lee is one of the all time greats and his performance in The Wicker Man is one of my favourite performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Very sad. He seemed like a real gentleman and so much talent. Sleep tight, Sir Christopher Lee!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I remember reading somewhere that he was such a prolific actor that it was reckoned he had more sword fights in films than any other actor in history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was a big fan of Tolkien's I think - read LOTR regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Christoper Lee and Ron Moody both gone in one day, really is a sad day for cinema. Lee is one of the all time greats and his performance in The Wicker Man is one of my favourite performances.

It's been a rough few months for the movie (and music) world, some genuine giants gone to the big set in the sky.

RIP.

Just wait for the attrition of the next 10 years - a whole generation of popular actors and musicians will be dying off.

Anyway, Horror Channel are showing Dracula - Prince of Darkness 1966 Friday night/Saturday morning at 00.45 am, which was the first horror film I saw as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Are the Hammer Horror film worth watching?

I don't think I've ever seen one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The Christopher Lee movie that sticks with me most is "The Devil Rides Out" (1968) saw it as a young kid and it scared the bejaysus out of me.
    He was the good guy who understood the dark side in that one.

R.I.P. Mr. Dracula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

What a man.

I absolutely love 1966's Dracula: prince of darkness and '59's Hound of the Baskervilles. First films I saw that starred the imposing Mr. Lee. Been a fan ever since.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

I've been reading up a bit on him in the last few days and while I always thought he was great I hadn't quite realised how great he was and he really was and in so many was. Polymath seems like a very fitting description but with all truly great people he had a deep, warm sense of humour as this article and clip shows

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/behindthescenes-hobbit-footage-reveals-christopher-lees-humour-and-humility--ZyWp2qLNEZl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

MfMan wrote: »
    Was a big fan of Tolkien's I think - read LOTR regularly.

I think I read somewhere before hes the only person Tolkien gave his blessing to play Gandalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I think I read somewhere before hes the only person Tolkien gave his blessing to play Gandalf

I think he's the only cast member who actually met Tolkien. Bumped into him in a pub and was starstruck for the first and only time in his life. A starstruck Dracula makes for a funny image.
    RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Are the Hammer Horror film worth watching?

I don't think I've ever seen one.

I'm a big fan of the Hammer films & 60's/70's British horror films in general.
    There used to be loads of them on TV in the late 80's & early 90's, that's how I got into them. They are very much of their time & to most young people would seem very quaint & slow moving & not very scary. For me it is about the atmosphere the films evoke. I love them but having said that there is not one perfect film in all them I've seen. There are after all B movies. The strictness of the censors at the time as well, meant a lot of the films ended up nurtured.

My favourite Hammer films would be:

Dracula (1958)
    The curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The hound of the baskervilles (1959)
    Dracula: Prince of darkness (1965)
    Quatermass & the pit (1967)
    The Devil rides out (1967)
    Blood from the mummy's tomb (1971)
    Vampire Circus (1972)
    The satanic rites of Dracula (1974)
    Hands of the Ripper (1971)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The original Dracula, great actor and legend, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

iomega wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Hammer films & 60's/70's British horror films in general.
    There used to be loads of them on TV in the late 80's & early 90's, that's how I got into them. They are very much of their time & to most young people would seem very quaint & slow moving & not very scary. For me it is about the atmosphere the films evoke. I love them but having said that there is not one perfect film in all them I've seen. There are after all B movies. The strictness of the censors at the time as well, meant a lot of the films ended up nurtured.

My favourite Hammer films would be:

Dracula (1958)
    The curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The hound of the baskervilles (1959)
    Dracula: Prince of darkness (1965)
    Quatermass & the pit (1967)
    The Devil rides out (1967)
    Blood from the mummy's tomb (1971)
    Vampire Circus (1972)
    The satanic rites of Dracula (1974)
    Hands of the Ripper (1971)

Prince of Darkness was also very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I believe his favourite role of all was Lord Summerisle in The Wicker Man.

Bump for Christopher Lee on BBC Two (not sure about regional variations)

13.30 Talking Pictures
    14.05 The Mummy (1959)
    00.45 Dracula (1958)
    02.05 The Curse of Frankenstein (1958)

Advertisement