Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Business - Higher Level - June 11th***

• 11-06-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭

Claiming !!

So what did you guys think of it?

Thought it was fantastic myself. Short Qs were really easy, ABQ was very nice, Long Qs very good too. Did 1, then 4,5 and 7 if I remember correctly.. Was a bit annoyed at q1 where it asked to explain "specific performance", wasn't sure if it meant ending a contract since the deed is carried out, or a judge ordering the contract to be carried out.. Besides that, most very really nice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Thought it was grand, a lot of people in my year hated it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

That was beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

My daughter just texted thought is was a lovely paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Everyone in my year thought it was beautiful. Going to get crucified by the marking scheme though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

For what should have been a relatively easy paper my exam was p*ss poor.

How many points did you need part C of the ABQ (30 marks)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

What LQs did ye do?

I did Q3, 5, 6, and 7.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Magnate wrote: »
    That was beautiful.

So, no funny business going on, no? :cool:

Sorry, yeah, I'll just leave :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Jijsaw wrote: »
    What LQs did ye do?

I did Q3, 5, 6, and 7.

I did 1,4,5 and 6. Q6 was delightful, my teacher said the first part could've easily been on a JC HL paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

That was kinda meh. Was far too tired for it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Ways to segment the market??? Just guessed field research and desk research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    Ways to segment the market??? Just guessed field research and desk research

god damnit.. Said by Demographic and Physiological needs of consumers... Your's probably right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    god damnit.. Said by Demographic and Physiological needs of consumers... Your's probably right though.

No, you're right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Taught it was grand hopin for C2 answered everything well so here hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I only realised this at the very end and just wrote those two headings in brackets where my original points were, ha.

Did anyone else do the cashflow question? Was there a mistake with the numbers? I added the entire row to the left for C and got 15000 but then doing it solely from the total tab was 20000.... someone else had this problem too because he called the examiner to ask if his script had a misprint...

So no marks for field and desk research then? Oh man

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

nice exam. Did Q3,5,6,7.

Short questions weren't too bad but the space they give you is small enough for short questions.

My only worry was for the SWOT for the ABQ. How many did everybody give? I did one for each strength/weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Barry1000

Are the headings for reducing bad debt with credit control system :
    Technology- EDI
    Credit Worthiness
    Standard Cut off point
    Reduce credit transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Kremin wrote: »
    I only realised this at the very end and just wrote those two headings in brackets where my original points were, ha.

Did anyone else do the cashflow question? Was there a mistake with the numbers? I added the entire row to the left for C and got 15000 but then doing it solely from the total tab was 20000.... someone else had this problem too because he called the examiner to ask if his script had a misprint...

whether there was a misprint or not it didnt matter as far as i know :D A was opening stock so just take from previous year closing, B you just take the receipts away from payments and C it is just the opening stock of the first month.

Off the top of my head

a = (10000)
    b = (30,000)
    c = 20000

Onto the paper anyway. It was fair but i am not happy. I did a good bit of study, expansion, indentifying oppertunites, ratio analysis didnt or barely come up which are pretty big topics.

Management skills and activities also barely came up, 4 benefits of functional, 4 ways reduce bad debt, 4 principles of good communication.

Unit 4: good bit came up i suppose from it but they were ****ty pieces imo, I had tqm done all managing change and hrm done but wasnt chance to show off my knowledge.

Short questions: easy tbh, didnt have an example of a merger and the "factors of production are recources for production of good" i said true, but enterprise isnt a recource, but it could be seen as one i suppose. But think i did well in the rest:

ABQ: part a) sure everyone knew that was coming
    b) 30 marks on swot....... i suppose 20 marks went for the defination so 2 points were needed.
    c) 30 marks so i threw down 4 titles. Communication, employee participation, lead by example and train employees.

Long q's:
    q3) no matter what came up i had to do it, b and c where very weird questions. From a point of view as in what point do they want. for part c it was describe implementation and thinking of directives and regulations:
    so i did point 1)EC 2) EP and council of EU 3) Directive 4) regulation.
    however one of my friends just talked about the decision making process. Business is generally a strict marking scheme so one of us are losing marks, not for lack of knowledge, but for not writing it as its wanted.

q4) grand
    q6) grand
    q7) had to bs on the product part of part a. but overall wasnt too bad.

Im just worried the points i put down were different to what was wanted, some were phrased weird imo.
    Are the headings for reducing bad debt with credit control system :
    Technology- EDI
    Credit Worthiness
    Standard Cut off point
    Reduce credit transactions

wont know until marking scheme is out :( I did however:
    Discount early payment
    Take out insurance on bad debt
    Limit credit transactions
    Research credit background

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

For the ABQ what people say for that third part about adapt to change evaluate it how how it was effective.

I mentioned consultation, empowerment, teamwork, training and tqm and evaluation. That many wasn't necessary though. I think 4 is enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    For the ABQ what people say for that third part about adapt to change evaluate it how how it was effective.

Said it was effective - he trained the employees, acknowledged technology by setting up a website, rewarded the employees and motivated them well, and then that he set up 'quality circles' and took the opinios of employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

Said it was effective - he trained the employees, acknowledged technology by setting up a website, rewarded the employees and motivated them well, and then that he set up 'quality circles' and took the opinios of employees.
    Yeah I said communicated about change to employees,trained and upskilled them,brought in new efficient equipment and he introduced new range of products cause of the change in industry.are they ok

What's the business marking scheme like? If they wanted four points for that (C) part of the ABQ and you put down three are you automatically docked the marks? I thought that was far worse paper than the mocks

Also the question on discrimination, what is that tribunal? I just made up about how it apoints equality mediators and officers and works woth the DEI. Can enter premisis and runs an advisory service hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

For the ABQ part (c) was that not, lead by example, train employees, communicate, reward employees, allow employees to participate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Johnjoeboy wrote: »

The answers were:
    Training - the company had sent staff on a training day.
    Communication - He spoke to them all about the SWOT analysis that the woman did.
    Embody change - He showed that by accepting all the woman's suggestions how change was good.

They were the 3 I did, you could replace one with Employee Participation if you wanted, I couldn't find the quote for it but I'd be certain it was there.

The last question of the ABQ, when worth 30m is always 3 answers for 10m each, 4+2+1+3 (heading, first point, second point, evaluation)

The paper I felt; was very fair. A lot of my own predictions came up, the shorts were an absolute breeze, I did them all, completely filling up the space given (and then some) in 20 minutes.
    I did questions 2, 5, 6 and 7.
    All questions were completely fine, nothing unexpected.
    I found myself waffling a bit for the woman starting a buisiness making the cutlery, i said Staff, Production method (job) and Finance.
    Also the Product, Place and Price question was fairly waffle-friendly but the evaluation bit allowed for easy gain of marks so it evens out if what I said for each in a general sense wasn't what they wanted.

Overall I'll be hoping for a A2 but won't be surprised if they have a very tight marking scheme for an easy paper and I walk out with a B1-B2.

If you just give one evaluation at the end is that alright for ABQ part c?

Tables wrote: »
    The answers were:
    Training - the company had sent staff on a trading day.
    Communication - He spoke to them all about the SWOT analysis that the woman did.
    Embody change - He showed that by accepting all the woman's suggestions how change was good.

They were the 3 I did, you could replace one with Employee Participation if you wanted, I couldn't find the quote for it but I'd be certain it was there.

The last question of the ABQ, when worth 30m is always 3 answers for 10m each, 4+2+1+3 (heading, first point, second point, evaluation)

The paper I felt; was very fair. A lot of my own predictions came up, the shorts were an absolute breeze, I did them all, completely filling up the space given (and then some) in 20 minutes.
    I did questions 2, 5, 6 and 7.
    All questions were completely fine, nothing unexpected.
    I found myself waffling a bit for the woman starting a buisiness making the cutlery, i said Staff, Production method (job) and Finace.
    Also the Product, Place and Price question was fairly waffle-friendly but the evaluation bit allowed for easy gain of marks so it evens out of what I said for each in a general sense wasn't what they wanted.

Overall I'll be hoping for a A2 but won't be surprised if they have a very tight marking scheme for an easy paper and I walk out with a B1-B2.

There was an evaluate on the price/product/promotion question?!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

I don't think there was an evaluation you had to connect it with a product of your choice

I don't think there was an evaluation you had to connect it with a product of your choice

I didn't even see that. I thought that was just for the product life cycle question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Tray1234

Just wondering if anyone did the 2nd question of the long questions. Was the answer to the second part Economic Variables where it asked how employment effected something? TIA

Advertisement