Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Business - Higher Level - June 11th***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

RoRo979 wrote: »
    Well thats that sorted so :D Anyone else find it hilarious that is was 30 marks for a swot analysis which was basically done for us already haha.

It was probobly the biggest waffle exam i have ever seen. Id say if i did no study my grade would of only dropped by less than 10%. All my beautiful business expansion, Identifying oppertunities, Management skills and activities (which yes did come up but feck all, 4 ways to communicate well.....).

Comparing it to last year im left thinking, if it was harder would i have done better? im worried that alot of people are going to get high marks so marks must be stripped from somewhere. There was no real show off area which was a bit irratating. Q7 on the place, price and product maybe.

Q6 though..... Sure thats HL junior Cert there. couldnt believe it when i seen it.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of too. I regret picking question 1 as it's the most answered one on the paper and I'd say it'll be marked very harshly, although I did give it an extra 10 mins or so to make sure that I was happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Magnate wrote: »
    Okay allow me to go one step further. The 2006 marking scheme. This was a part B to an ABQ question identical to ours.

They're all different points, it comes down to how you argue them. If you just put down different headings but said the same thing underneath then you're not going to get all the marks.

Anyway it's behind us, nothing we can do now so there's no point in analysing it. Time to enjoy the summer :D

Yes that's what the marking scheme says, but if you try to flesh out each point for 4 lines on each they will run very close in your explanation. I personally, would feel that I'd be repeating myself. To consult and communicate with someone is by and large the same thing. If they accept them as separate points; good for them and good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of too. I regret picking question 1 as it's the most answered one on the paper and I'd say it'll be marked very harshly, although I did give it an extra 10 mins or so to make sure that I was happy with it.

q1 i looked at it and just though " f*ck me, this is a joke" Didnt know the director of consumer affairs too well and i assumed the whole country was going to do it so i thought id give it a miss.

Im curious, Was q3 the hardest on the paper so because it wasnt as straighforward?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 leavingcert15

Is 2 points under each heading OK for the swot analysis and we didn't have to refer it to the text did we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

q1 i looked at it and just though " f*ck me, this is a joke" Didnt know the director of consumer affairs too well and i assumed the whole country was going to do it so i thought id give it a miss.

Im curious, Was q7 the hardest on the paper so because it wasnt as straighforward?

I barely looked at Q7 as I thought it looked too wishy washy for me as I didn't have enough specifics on that section. 4, 5 and 6 were nice enough in comparison.
    Is 2 points under each heading OK for the swot analysis and we didn't have to refer it to the text did we?

I only did one or two for each because there didn't seem to be a lot of marks going for it? I referred to the text because I think you always have to, never heard of any exceptions.

• Advertisement

You most definately did have to refer to the text for it. It literally had it done

Strength: Manufacturing expertise
    Weakness: Poor ICT/ Lack of cad or something
    Oppertunitis: Growing market in UK,USA and australia
    Threats: Easter eU investment into ICT

dont worry too much, out of 20 marks for the b(ii) id say quotes were around 8 marks alltogether

Im curious, Was q7 the hardest on the paper so because it wasnt as straighforward?

Honestly I didn't mind it that much, I would've thought Q2/3 was harder but that was only because I didn't pick them, or study those topics.

I barely looked at Q7 as I thought it looked too wishy washy for me as I didn't have enough specifics on that section. 4, 5 and 6 were nice enough in comparison.

I did Q7 and it was a dream, I had the specifics so it went well. I liked how it was segmented quite a lot as well, it helped saved me time as I only had 23 minutes to do it and I got it done.

Haven't heard anyone mentioning running out of time actually, which is strange for business being as tight for time as it is.

Honestly I didn't mind it that much, I would've thought Q2/3 was harder but that was only because I didn't pick them, or study those topics.

haaha you must think im an idiot, q7 was a joke of a question.

Q3 ON UNIT 7

my bad :D
    Haven't heard anyone mentioning running out of time actually, which is strange for business being as tight for time as it is.

My friend did an extra question, i was tight for time. Once 10 mins left i was rushing part C of abq and trying to get graph paper to get the line graph done

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

For part B on the ABQ, were we supposed to explain Strengths, Weaknesses etc. separately or explain them within the SWOT analysis?

• Advertisement

Q3 ON UNIT 7

My friend did an extra question, i was tight for time. Once 10 mins left i was rushing part C of abq and trying to get graph paper to get the line graph done

Oh right haha that makes more sense! :)

Yeah I didn't like the look of it, don't really remember the questions though.

They said refer to the text for part A and C, it's stupid loosing 8 marks for something they didn't ask for

Q3 ON UNIT 7

An extra question?! What!? Either that person is very smart and fast or just didn't know a thing haha, I was down to the wire as well, and I'm typically very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PeterT1999966

Does anyone know if I'll lose marks for not doing a line graph on graph paper and also will I lose many marks for not evaluating in the Abq part C

Also, I'll be willing to wager a hell of a lot of people didn't title their bar chart.

Tables wrote: »
    Also, I'll be willing to wager a hell of a lot of people didn't title their bar chart.

I wonder how many drew histograms :P

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

Tables wrote: »

Or label the axes!

Does anyone know if I'll lose marks for not doing a line graph on graph paper and also will I lose many marks for not evaluating in the Abq part C

You won't lose marks for the graph unless it's really inaccurate, and ruled paper tends to allow perfect accuracy anyway, graph paper just ensures accuracy.

The evaluation should be worth around 9 marks, 3 of which will be for a quote so if you quoted you will get them 3, losing out on only 6/30 marks.

I titles it like "Project sales for next 6 moths" that do?

not on grapgh paper, hmm i dont know actually
    not evaluating, depends on if it was required for every point or at the end, id say 2-8 marks.
    Yeah I didn't like the look of it, don't really remember the questions though.

very weird, worried i did it the wrong way

a) reasons for MNC's coming to ireland - Easy peasy
    b) discuss standerdised and adapted marketing mix in relation to global marketing

WTF!?!?!?! I did global product, then price etc and talked about both in each
    20 marks

C) Discuss the coming up with and implementing of regulations and directives.
    What structure is supposed to be followed here now, this is the main one im worried about. I did
    - European commission
    - European parliament + council of Eu
    - Directive
    - Regulation

First 2 point basically thinking of them and approving, last 2 implementing them.

I titles it like "Project sales for next 6 moths" that do?.

Sounds perfect to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

I titles it like "Project sales for next 6 moths" that do?

not on grapgh paper, hmm i dont know actually
    not evaluating, depends on if it was required for every point or at the end, id say 2-8 marks.

very weird, worried i did it the wrong way

a) reasons for MNC's coming to ireland - Easy peasy
    b) discuss standerdised and adapted marketing mix in relation to global marketing

WTF!?!?!?! I did global product, then price etc and talked about both in each
    20 marks

C) Discuss the coming up with and implementing of regulations and directives.
    What structure is supposed to be followed here now, this is the main one im worried about. I did
    - European commission
    - European parliament + council of Eu
    - Directive
    - Regulation

First 2 point basically thinking of them and approving, last 2 implementing them.

I did the process of new laws which could be wrong. But as long as you have key words like co-decision and stuff we'll be ok i hope

are ye telling me I lost about 2% for not linking the SWOT analysis back, did everyone link it back

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Paper's up on examinations.ie now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DexterXX

For q4, how many principles of good communication did you have to discuss? I figured the bar chart would be 10 marks and 3 points at 5 for part ii?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Ag_science2015

So happy over all with my paper. was hoping for a b2 but now feel im at around an A1 or A2. however for my bar chart i think i forgot to label months axis and for a title i put "bar chart". probably lost 2-3 marks there

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

are ye telling me I lost about 2% for not linking the SWOT analysis back, did everyone link it back

Max 1%, 4/400 but yeah you're always supposed to link it back.

n6ZKgPt.png
    So a is (10000), just previous closing stock
    B is (30000) (90000-120000) right?
    Ok now for C

Net Cash + Opening Cash = Closing Cash right?
    -45000+C=-25000
    C=20000....

But if you just add 20000+A+5000 (total) you get 15000...

Kremin wrote: »
    Max 1%, 4/400 but yeah you're always supposed to link it back.

n6ZKgPt.png
    So a is (10000), just previous closing stock
    B is (30000) (90000-120000) right?
    Ok now for C

Net Cash + Opening Cash = Closing Cash right?
    -45000+C=-25000
    C=20000....

But if you just add 20000+A+5000 (total) you get 15000...

If you remember back to JC business total closing stock + total opening stock doesnt work that way. Add up all the closing stock and you wont get (20000) youll get (25000) which is clearly wrong.

Opening cash total = opening cash of first month
    Closing cash total = closing cash last month

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Barry1000

Did a histogram instead of a bar chart, many marks lost?

Barry1000 wrote: »
    Did a histogram instead of a bar chart, many marks lost?

only 10 going for that question, im not sure if they would be cruel about it and give 0.

although histogram is similar to bar chart is still a different form.
    Think of it as it asked for bar chart and you drew a pie chart.
    But i assume many made that mistake so fingers crossed your all good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

only 10 going for that question, im not sure if they would be cruel about it and give 0.

although histogram is similar to bar chart is still a different form.
    Think of it as it asked for bar chart and you drew a pie chart.
    But i assume many made that mistake so fingers crossed your all good :D

How could it be a histogram with the months not being ranges or whatever?

Advertisement