Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending suitcase/box electronics home

Options
  • 11-06-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Howdy all,

Im thinking I might be making the big move back to ireland (probably on a temporary basis) in the coming months.

Im planing on travelling asia for a month or so anyone have any tips for sending a suitcase and a separate box full of laptops/phones/tablet back to ireland on the cheap?

Did a quick google it looks like about $250 for the suitcase by boat and $300 or for the box air mail and insured up to $3k.

Does that sound right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

Hi Wilko,

We did the exact same thing recently and used Seven Seas who were great to deal with. We ended up sending three boxes home (one with bike and golf clubs combined) including iPads an laptops....the more you send the cheaper it becomes. Not entirely sure of the cost but they were quite reasonable and arrived within 2 months.

Where you get stung is Irish customs. There is some ridiculous charge of €150 for them to just check the box to make sure it's okay. I think that cost more than to actually send the boxes from Aus.

Anyway I'd highly recommend them and their customer service is great. Enjoy your travels, we sure did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Used Sevenseas, went traveling for a few months, shipment arrived a week after we did.

We did have one mishap with them, when we were leaving Aus we were't sure where our end address would be, they said that was ok, as long as you had your shipping number I could contact them when I knew.

When I did send them an end address they completely bungled it, they did take my correct address but didn't fully amend the information and kept the Dublin address of their sub contractor as part of my address. Hence although my address was clearly not in Dublin the subcontractor wouldn't deliver until the address was fully amended.

For security reasons I had to go through sevenseas to get them to confirm the address for the subcontractor. The subcontractor messed that up by sending it to their regional branch near me but that regional branch saw that Dublin was still on the address and rather than ringing me on the number printed on the boxes they sent them back to Dublin......who then sent it back down.....and only then did the local subcontractor use the phone number printed on the side of the box.

Dealing with Sevenseas was frustrating, they never rang back when they said they would etc...

Basically keep it simple, before booking with them have a clear end destination address.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Thanks guys, i think i might use that one!

Does anyone have any experience getting stung for VAT or GST sending brand new electronics home in boxes? or even in a suitcase?

A bit off topic, but has anyone looked at getting vaccines for Asia in Aus?
    Does 300$ sound right for hep a+b?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Wilko121 wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but has anyone looked at getting vaccines for Asia in Aus?
    Does 300$ sound right for hep a+b?

Cheers

If it includes the doctors visit/time, I'd say yes.
    I got vaccines for hep b + Typhoid last week for $200 total.
    ($144 for the injection and 60 for the doc).

• Advertisement

I went through bulk billing because I have Medicare.

It was $43 for typhoid and 4x $75 for injections of hep a+b vaccine

Advertisement