Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astronomy talk at Dalkey Book Festival (June 14th)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Lough Gur Dark Sky Park initiative
    Congratulations to Frank Ryan Jr, Albert White, members of Shannonside Astronomy Club, and staff at the heritage centre for driving the proposal to declare a new Dark Sky Park in Ireland. Apollo 15 Command Module pilot Al Worden officially launched the Initiative on June 8th. Lough Gur will also be hosting a Summer Solstice Festival this month and you can read more details about the Centre and the event at http://loughgur.com/2015/summer-solstice-2015/
    2hrs 18mins from Dublin says google maps, so probably close to 3 in reality when you hit the country roads. Jaysus, it's an eternity in a Car.

I was thinking whats the point it's so close to the Kerry one but it's actually another 2hrs 30 to get there.

I wonder did anyone ever check around leitrim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I'm liking the newsletter, you pack alot in!! Take abit of time to get through.

Maybe stick them all in the one Thread and keep bumping it?? Be easier to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Many thanks for the kind words about the newsletters _Tombstone_ .... good idea about updating the thread during the month. Maybe to just title it "June's astronomy news and events" or something and just keep adding details.

I guess the potential new dark sky area will be more convenient for those in the Mid-West of Ireland. There are a number of other initiatives currently being considered and I think there's four locations countrywide with sky quality meters installed that are logging conditions. Not sure if Leitrim is one but I know there's a meter set up in Mayo. Myself and a few others have explored virtually every back road of Wicklow at this stage in pursuit of that perfect observing location close to Dublin!

John

Advertisement