Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheque clearing process

Options
  • 11-06-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I find it hard to understand why it takes so long for a cheque to clear in this day and age.
    I lodged a cheque on the 5th June and it still hasn't cleared.
    I know it supposed to take 5 working days, so it wouldn't be due to clear until the 12th allowing for the weekend. Its from a financial institution so there is no doubt about the funds being available.
    I know I could have brought it to the relevant branch and cashed it.

I just think this process should take 48 hours max, and the banks are obviously delaying this process on purpose to hold on the funds for an extra 3 days in their system.
    Shame on them, this need to be addressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Its Paper, no funds are as you say available. Its a donkey years old process, can't really make it go any quicker. The UK had planned a few years back to remove chi's but decided not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I used to be faster in the past - 3 working days. Further, if you were in good standing with your bank, they didn't mind you drawing uncleared funds without penalty. But that was when a smaller proportion of the people had bank accounts, and bank customers were, on average, more reliable.

Those good old days will never return.

Advertisement