Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virginia creeper growing wild

Options
  • 11-06-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We have just moved into our house and need a bit of advice. Does anybody know what the law is regarding virginia creeper growing in the neighbour's garden, which is now growing up the sides of the house and by the end of summer will be into the roof. I am unable to get to it.
    As far as I was aware its their responsibilty to keep it in check and I just wanted to know if this is correct before I speak with the neighbour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Whilst you haven't specified, I'm assuming that it's growing on "your side" of the house?

I can't say for sure, but I found this which may be of use perhaps? http://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/ You can see there's a section in there on 'encroaching roots'.

So the law says you can just cut it back without any need to notify the neighbour (at least according to my reading of that link, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable may be able to verify).

However, if it was me, I would say the best thing to do is not to bring up any laws initially at all and just have a very casual "Hey how are you? We've just moved in, nice to meet you.... so, the virginia creeper?" sort of conversation. "I'm just going to cut it back from growing too far up the house, just to let you know".

Perhaps someone else will know more about the legality side of things and will post, but I guess you don't want to be jumping straight in with a "law saws it's up to you" initial conversation. Just have a casual chat about it and gauge the sort of person they are first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Georgeof the jungle

Thanks Banta, No I wouldn't go in all guns ablazing, but iI just wanted to know just in case. Whats the saying? "You catch more flys with honey than you do with vinegar" Its just I've been told the landlord of the neighbours has caused trouble with other residence, and while this is only hearsay I just want to get my facts right.

Will go on the tread you send, thanks again :-)

Advertisement