Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you sit in the cinema?

• 11-06-2015 2:35pm

I always find people's choices on where to sit in a cinema quite curious. Personally I always sit in the middle seat of the middle row, preferably between speakers if you can. At this seat is when the screen blurs around your peripheral vision, bringing more immersion into what's happening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I always find people's choices on where to sit in a cinema quite curious. Personally I always sit in the middle seat of the middle row, preferably between speakers if you can. At this seat is when the screen blurs around your peripheral vision, bringing more immersion into what's happening.

Most cinemas I go to have two sides of seats (or sometimes 3) so I try to sit on the edge of a row (to be central) and then depending on the cinema I choose either about 6 rows back or about 15 rows back (one cinema I frequent is only begins seat staggering around row 10 so you are craning if you are more forward than this).

Overall it depends on the cinema I am attending but mostly central enough, although I do try for edge seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Always try to sit in the middle; you get the best bang for your buck there.

Only twice have I had the misfortune to end up in the very front row - King Kong and Shame .

Both were unforgettably huge experiences....
    in entirely different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I always try to sit in the middle as well. This system they brought in now in most cinemas where they assign you a seat does my f*cking head in. What was so wrong with the old system where you just bought your ticket and sat where you want? I usually have to book online now to get the seat I want as I can't be ar*ed trying to explain to the spotty student on the cash desk where I want to sit. They never get it right anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In the middle of the fifth or sixth row. The screen will fill my vision without having to crane my neck and there will be less people immediately in front of me able to distract me as they mess with their phones, kick their legs about, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Always in the middle. I don't go to cinemas with assigned seating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

On a seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I kinda like assigned seating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Middle seat, very back row. Wouldn't feel as comfortable and relaxed in the middle row or any row with people behind me. I prefer when I'm beside people I'm with or nobody at all (two empty seats) I don't know why :P I'm not socially awkward or anything like that which is what would make most sense for a reason. It just happens to me 'my place' in the cinema :) always has been since before I can remember, always make sure to arrive that little bit earlier to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

brevity wrote: »
    I kinda like assigned seating.

Me too. I always sit in the middle up towards the back. I always book online though so I can choose my seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Middle row ideally with eye line at around the middle of the screen so how far back depends on the seating layout. We often sit front middle just so its easy to get out again though.

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    On a seat

Pft. Amateur.

I sit on the person next to me's lap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Pft. Amateur.

I sit on the person next to me's lap.

Given your username I'd imagine that's quite uncomfortable for both parties involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Where I can't see anybody on their phone, so most often near the front.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

aisle seat second row from the back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Middle, near the front. I actually hate sitting at the back and find looking up at the screen is more immersive. And like e_e said, there's usually less distractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Middle Middle, me and everyone I've ever known go for that if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Middle in the row with the row being near the middle towards the front. Far enough back so I can look straight ahead at the center of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Depends on the auditorium. Some screens are tiny and yet you can sit miles back.. sitting in the back row then world be terrible. The opposite is then a screen like Screen 2 in Cineworld that is tiny and even in the back row not far from the screen. I have found that the best place to sit in a cinema is to sit whatever the widfth of the screen is, add 50% and sit that distance away from the screen. So if the screen is 40 feet wide, I sit 60 feet away in the middle. Sometimes this could be the middle row and sometimes the back row. This is the distance where you will have the full screen in your vision but won't have to move your neck to following the action on the screen, only your eyes.

I've overthought this haven't I.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I usually go during the day...I'll be the only there and I might move about at the start during the traulers to find my sweet spot

Advertisement