Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for the call

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Some They say they will ring and then they never do so try not to be too disappointed. :( it's cruel, it really is.

It's highly unprofessional that anyone would interview someone and not get back to them when they say they will.

Principals/Deputy Principals who do that should be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

Head to the UK guys.

Plenty of jobs on offer and plenty money to be made too

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Head to the UK guys.

Not an option for many with mortgages and young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Head to the UK guys.

The money is crap in the long run unless you go into leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Head to the UK guys.

Already here - just about getting through the year! Turned from a healthy positive person into an extremely unhealthy person reliant on tablets for anxiety!

Money is crap aswell! Would rather be subbing and living at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Guys, I have been reading on this forum and I can get a real sense of your pain. I genuinely feel for you all. One thing that you should be shouting from the rooftops is that it is hugely unfair, unethical and immoral that teachers who have retired are back working in teaching, in some cases the September after their retirement. I heard last week of a DP who "retired" and is now back working in her school as a regular teacher. This seems to be particularly the case in fee paying schools, they take back the retired teacher and pay them privately. I know of another school where a teacher of a practical subject "retired" and was back the following September, not in a private school, teaching his classes so they wouldn't lose the advantage of the continuity of having the same teacher all the way to JC or LC.
    You should be lobbying your TDs, making your voices heard in any way you can, about this practice. Those jobs should be yours, and not for people with mortgages paid off, families raised who got a nice lump sum and are in receipt of a pension. Just another example of unfairness in this corrupt country of ours!

Still no word! :'( I travelled back from England and everything!

Still no word! :'( I travelled back from England and everything!

What a joke. Was it a Dublin school? I wish we could name and shame!

Pm'd you!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Pm'd you!

When was your interview? Stay positive! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Head to the UK guys.

There are "plenty of jobs" for a reason. See Teacher stress levels in England 'soaring', data shows (March 2015)

The money, however, is dire. I was plagued by agency recruiters (how very Thatcherite to create a lucrative group of private teacher recruitment agencies and pay the actual teachers a pittance) until I removed my name from all of them. They were offering the offensive salary of £22k or £23k, and trying to get me excited about getting a few hundred pounds back if I signed up to their company. No recognition for postgrad degrees or anything, and about 6 or 7 weeks more work each year.

In sharp contrast, I started on €38,000 here. The English system is a yellow pack system with teachers turned into burnt-out, creatively emaciated pen pushers filling in form after form. Unlike, say, financial whizzkids in "the City", teachers and their work are not valued in that society. A massive 40% of English teachers quit their jobs within the first year (2015). There will always be jobs for Irish people in such a system.
    I decided to take the hit, stay in Ireland and do subbing wherever I could get it rather than become one of the many Irish people who return from the English system with their mind and self-confidence damaged.

As an old teacher always said to me, in Ireland teachers are drawn from the top 10% of secondary school classes; in England they tend to be drawn from the bottom (or thereabouts) 10%. Pay peanuts, get monkeys, and they'll accept monkey conditions.

Tactically, I'd always tend to think I'd never be called for an interview and, if I was, I'd leave it thinking I didn't get it. None of this reflects on how I did, just on lowering my expectations in order to avoid disappointment. I'd never expect any sort of response to any interview if I didn't get it (although once or twice I have phoned just for feedback on how I could improve), and have long since stopped expecting responses to applications that weren't successful.

That way, if I get offered a job it can only be a pleasant surprise. It's hard but try and move on the minute it's over because you can't get yourself down mulling over it. No room for disappointment! Keep knocking on doors and something will come up (I easily applied for more than 100 jobs before I got my current one).

patriciaf6 wrote: »
    When was your interview? Stay positive! :)

Thursday. I rang the school today and they said they sent out letters today so I presume I've been unsuccessful.

Thursday. I rang the school today and they said they sent out letters today so I presume I've been unsuccessful.

You never know starkystark. I got called for an interview via letter and it wouldn't surprise me if I hear one way or another via letter also. I had an interview today so the wait is back on for me. I hope the post arrives tomorrow for you.

highly1111 wrote: »
    You never know starkystark. I got called for an interview via letter and it wouldn't surprise me if I hear one way or another via letter also. I had an interview today so the wait is back on for me. I hope the post arrives tomorrow for you.

Just got to keep on trying and applying!...and be more positive. The very least I'm going back to Ireland in July and getting out of this hell hole.

Just got to keep on trying and applying!...and be more positive. The very least I'm going back to Ireland in July and getting out of this hell hole. Oh and Good Luck Highly! Rooting for you! (PS I know thats weird - but its good to hear that we're all in the same position and all in support of each other.)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 oneright

I'm in the same position, I've been in London 2 years and just want to go home. I've applied for 30 - 40 jobs now at home and have only heard from 2. Both of these were to say thanks but no thanks, at least one want to keep me on file. Teaching in London is great but the paperwork is killing me and I'm in school from 730am to 7pm most days but money is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Got offered 11hrs but its privately paid hours so hesitant. Theyre wanting me to sign contracts next week

Got offered 11hrs but its privately paid hours so hesitant. Theyre wanting me to sign contracts next week

Of course if you have nothing better you'll take it (don't forget to ask about the likelihood of paid subbing per week, just to put down a marker). I had around that in hours one year, asked the principal to combine them into a four-day week and used my spare time to go back and start another degree at night which improved my employment prospects considerably thereafter. I definitely would see how you could combine those hours with some outlet for career progression in that year. Better to light a candle than curse the dark, as they say.

I'm getting more and more disheartened after each interview. Teaching interviews aren't great for the confidence when you don't get offered the job! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I'm getting more and more disheartened after each interview. Teaching interviews aren't great for the confidence when you don't get offered the job! :(

In June just say to yourself that you were brilliant but the job was long gone to someone already in the job! I travelled almost two hours for an interview yesterday to be made wait for about 40 mins before interview and to be back in my car ten minutes later. Two of the panel didnt even look up when I was answering the first question

So I got another call - mixed results.

I wasn't offered the fixed term as its going to the teacher currently employed. Shocker. However the principal offered me a maternity due to be advertised in sept. Don't know if I'll take it as its a chunk of a commute away and between that and childcare it may not be financially viable but its good to have options.

Also if anyone has geography with business, let me know.

That's harsh! It's tough! I just keep telling myself that practices makes perfect! A recent interview was for a job I really wanted and it suited my experience! P and VP made me so welcome and seemed really interested but I just felt the subject teacher wasn't impressed at all!

Was it much longer after the interview that you got the call highly1111?

That's harsh! It's tough! I just keep telling myself that practices makes perfect! A recent interview was for a job I really wanted and it suited my experience! P and VP made me so welcome and seemed really interested but I just felt the subject teacher wasn't impressed at all!

Was it much longer after the interview that you got the call highly1111?

It was the following morning. She was pretty quick in fairness. She was nice. Honestly, I'd take it as a last resort but the commute isn't ideal. I'd do it for a salary but with hourly pay I'll need to do the numbers. It would need to be at least 20 hours a week.

Just as an fyi the interview I had last week was on Tuesday and I got the no call that Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭annejohn91

Just as an fyi the interview I had last week was on Tuesday and I got the no call that Friday.

What annoyed me greatly, I did an interview last Friday and received no call or email since. I obviously knew I didn't have the job after 3 days but it would be nice to receive an email because for a few days I was waiting around hoping.

However good news came yesterday, I received a contract for 12 hours plus resource. I was told it would be more than 20 each week which is good because I am only starting out teaching so i'd take 6 hours tbh.

I think if you don't hear in 2 days after an interview, then the job is gone

annejohn91 wrote: »
    What annoyed me greatly, I did an interview last Friday and received no call or email since. I obviously knew I didn't have the job after 3 days but it would be nice to receive an email because for a few days I was waiting around hoping.

However good news came yesterday, I received a contract for 12 hours plus resource. I was told it would be more than 20 each week which is good because I am only starting out teaching so i'd take 6 hours tbh.

I think if you don't hear in 2 days after an interview, then the job is gone

Huge congrats. I got a PFO email this morning. You know things are bad when you're grateful to just get any email though!

Thanks for the replies on when you usually hear back! Got a phonecall this morning and I've been offered the job! I'll get a written contract early next week and if I sign it is that it? If a job in my old school came up could I take it? Or once you sign on the dotted line? Extremely grateful to be offered a job but when it's away from home there's always that chance that something closer to home might arise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Thanks for the replies on when you usually hear back! Got a phonecall this morning and I've been offered the job! I'll get a written contract early next week and if I sign it is that it? If a job in my old school came up could I take it? Or once you sign on the dotted line? Extremely grateful to be offered a job but when it's away from home there's always that chance that something closer to home might arise!

You have to give notice of a few weeks once it's signed but seeing as its during summer it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

gaiscioch wrote: »
    There are "plenty of jobs" for a reason. See Teacher stress levels in England 'soaring', data shows (March 2015)

The money, however, is dire. I was plagued by agency recruiters (how very Thatcherite to create a lucrative group of private teacher recruitment agencies and pay the actual teachers a pittance) until I removed my name from all of them. They were offering the offensive salary of £22k or £23k, and trying to get me excited about getting a few hundred pounds back if I signed up to their company. No recognition for postgrad degrees or anything, and about 6 or 7 weeks more work each year.

In sharp contrast, I started on €38,000 here. The English system is a yellow pack system with teachers turned into burnt-out, creatively emaciated pen pushers filling in form after form. Unlike, say, financial whizzkids in "the City", teachers and their work are not valued in that society. A massive 40% of English teachers quit their jobs within the first year (2015). There will always be jobs for Irish people in such a system.
    I decided to take the hit, stay in Ireland and do subbing wherever I could get it rather than become one of the many Irish people who return from the English system with their mind and self-confidence damaged.

As an old teacher always said to me, in Ireland teachers are drawn from the top 10% of secondary school classes; in England they tend to be drawn from the bottom (or thereabouts) 10%. Pay peanuts, get monkeys, and they'll accept monkey conditions.

You must have started on the old pay scale because the starting salary here is now nowhere near €38,000

Advertisement