Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for the call

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

Does anybody have any idea how to get your teaching application noticed?? Sent out loads of applications hearing nothing back any ideas how to be noticed????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

hockey21 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any idea how to get your teaching application noticed?? Sent out loads of applications hearing nothing back any ideas how to be noticed????

Go to the school with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure your application follows the instructions in the advert.

Do NOT
    • send it in an envelope that looks like it was addressed by a six year old. If you do not know where on an envelope an address should be written, find out.
    • Send it to anyone other than the person stated in the advert. If it says send it to the School Secretary, do not send it to the Principal.
    • Use an old Principal's name, if you are addressing the Principal.
    • send a paper application if an electronic one is requested (and vice versa)
    • use silly colours of pen to address the envelope

I saw all of the above when helping with applications for jobs in English and Chemistry in the last couple of years.

Jobs are few and far between, some people do themselves no favours at all in how they present their application.

spurious wrote: »

Do NOT
    • send it in an envelope that looks like it was addressed by a six year old. If you do not know where on an envelope an address should be written, find out.
    • Send it to anyone other than the person stated in the advert. If it says send it to the School Secretary, do not send it to the Principal.

I saw all of the above when helping with applications for jobs in English and Chemistry in the last couple of years.

Jobs are few and far between, some people do themselves no favours at all in how they present their application.
    Thanks yeah iv done it all I even find out chairpersons name and address it to that person I type my addresses iv actually done everything except put a massive sticker on it saying please read this I suppose it's a waiting game and a good bit of luck thanks for your reply anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

spurious wrote: »

Do NOT

I second all that is in this post. I wrote on my application in purple pen. Put FAO: Headmaster/mistress/secretary etc (depending on who to send to)

Also write on the bottom left of the envelope what the purpose of the letter is eg Maths Teaching Position. If the school says apply by post or email. make sure you post it. The only job I got an interview for was based on a postal application.
    Furnish your application with proof of Teaching council registration and at least 2 recent references if requested.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Hello everyone,

I hope people are enjoying their summer holidays. Quick question - I'm feeling a little worried: there seems to be very little jobs being advertised for secondary schools at the moment. Is it still too early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hello everyone,

I hope people are enjoying their summer holidays. Quick question - I'm feeling a little worried: there seems to be very little jobs being advertised for secondary schools at the moment. Is it still too early?

I think the school principals and deputy principals escape to their villas for the month of July. They should be back in schools around the 2nd week of August and another batch of jobs should be up on educationposts.ie then (a number of teachers decide for certain at the end of the summer that they're not returning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I think the school principals and deputy principals escape to their villas for the month of July. They should be back in schools around the 2nd week of August and another batch of jobs should be up on educationposts.ie then (a number of teachers decide for certain at the end of the summer that they're not returning).

Villas?

I presume you were posting that in jest.

A teacher cannot decide at the end of the summer whether they're returning or not. If I decide I'm not returning next month . . . I'll be unemployed in Sept.

Timetables have been made out in virtually all schools at this stage and some schools do recruit when management return in mid-August.

Thanks for your reply! Gosh I wish I had that much time to decide whether I was returning to England or not. I really hope I didn't give up my position there for nothing here. :o:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

Thanks for your reply! Gosh I wish I had that much time to decide whether I was returning to England or not. I really hope I didn't give up my position there for nothing here.

Most jobs are sorted in June some will be left till August. Afraid there still aren't that many positions around but hang in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Villas?

I presume you were posting that in jest.

A teacher cannot decide at the end of the summer whether they're returning or not. If I decide I'm not returning next month . . . I'll be unemployed in Sept.

Timetables have been made out in virtually all schools at this stage and some schools do recruit when management return in mid-August.

I would presume they were referring to teachers who may decide to retire at the last minute, or have found another job somewhere else in August themselves thus opening a slot in their original schools

seavill wrote: »
    I would presume they were referring to teachers who may decide to retire at the last minute, or have found another job somewhere else in August themselves thus opening a slot in their original schools

I've never heard of a teacher deciding to retire in August.

The vast vast majority of teachers don't leave teaching jobs in August to pick up new ones.

The jobs that are available are one that have become available in schools since May and Principals have decided to wait until August to advertise as they know by then the number of hours and subjects on the timetable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I got two jobs from people retiring in August.

The vast majority don't leave no but if there are jobs up in August a number of those will be taken by people who are in jobs currently opening up more vacancies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Anyone else found that the amount of jobs advertised this year are fairly bleak. I remember there were a lot more advertised this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

You never know what's going to happen.

Some of my colleagues have been very amorous over the summer it seems, maternity leave jobs will be going up soon!

You also have people who might retire or take some form of leave, a months notice is all that's needed for retirement. If you add to that a teacher wh moves job in june - probably wont be refilled until august unless it happens early.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Got offered a job yesterday for the first time, still slowly sinking in but delighted. How long does it normally take for written confirmation to be sent? I ask because I'd like to get that before I hand in my notice, I'm currently in an office at the moment.

I note from this BBC article, that some major companies in Britain are now not looking for academic and educational details in their application forms:
    The findings come after accountancy firm Ernst and Young (EY) announced it is removing all academic and education details from its trainee application process.
    EY will choose which applicants to interview based on their performance in online tests, in an attempt to improve workplace diversity.

Any chance of that type of career-specific application process transferring to teaching in Ireland? There could be a lot of merit to it. At least in my case, in my Dip year I have to say I found it challenging to switch from academic intelligence to developing a new type of creative, interpersonal intelligence which relied on a fair smattering of psychology. I was one of those people who at the start of the Dip was focused on teaching the subject rather than focused primarily on teaching the students.

Got offered a job yesterday for the first time, still slowly sinking in but delighted. How long does it normally take for written confirmation to be sent? I ask because I'd like to get that before I hand in my notice, I'm currently in an office at the moment.

Written notice?

Never heard of that in teaching. . You just turn up on day one and off you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭annejohn91

Congrats btw :) I received my contract and confirmation about 5 days after I was offered the position :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Written notice?

Never heard of that in teaching. . You just turn up on day one and off you go.

I mean my current job, where I work in an office.

• Advertisement

Gosh I'm so anxious. Been on 2 interviews - one was a preliminary interview. It was awful - one of them basically kept on asking me questions and then talking over me whilst I was answering them and asking me another question through my answers. He had his watch out in front of him - its like he couldn't wait to get me out. :(

Had another one yesterday - came away quite positive from it - but haven't heard anything yet. As one poster commented already these interviews do nothing for ones confidence. I really really don't want to go back to England with my tail between my legs. :(

I've another interview tomorrow - yet another "preliminary" interview. Easy to know that they have such a huge choice if they can have two rounds of interviews for the one position to start in the matter of a few weeks.

Gosh I'm so anxious. Been on 2 interviews - one was a preliminary interview. It was awful - one of them basically kept on asking me questions and then talking over me whilst I was answering them and asking me another question through my answers. He had his watch out in front of him - its like he couldn't wait to get me out. :(

Had another one yesterday - came away quite positive from it - but haven't heard anything yet. As one poster commented already these interviews do nothing for ones confidence. I really really don't want to go back to England with my tail between my legs. :(

I've another interview tomorrow - yet another "preliminary" interview. Easy to know that they have such a huge choice if they can have two rounds of interviews for the one position to start in the matter of a few weeks.

It's not clichéd at all to say this experience of interviews will stand to you and, in all truth, sometimes in an interview it's OK to think that guy on the panel is a prick and that, now that you're seeing it, you wouldn't like to work for him. It's not too unusual for a member of an interview panel to be obnoxious because he wants to secure the job for somebody else. I've had two experiences of interviews where I left the room thinking I wouldn't like to work for them. You are always interviewing them too, and don't ever forget that (after all, you don't want to spend so much of your life in a job where the management are not up to it).

Best of luck tomorrow.

It's not clichéd at all to say this experience of interviews will stand to you and, in all truth, sometimes in an interview it's OK to think that guy on the panel is a prick and that, now that you're seeing it, you wouldn't like to work for him. It's not too unusual for a member of an interview panel to be obnoxious because he wants to secure the job for somebody else. I've had two experiences of interviews where I left the room thinking I wouldn't like to work for them. You are always interviewing them too, and don't ever forget that (after all, you don't want to spend so much of your life in a job where the management are not up to it).

Thanks Gaiscioch for your reply - that is very true. I would certainly not like to work for him. Fingers crossed. Trying to stay positive.

Gosh I'm so anxious. Been on 2 interviews - one was a preliminary interview. It was awful - one of them basically kept on asking me questions and then talking over me whilst I was answering them and asking me another question through my answers. He had his watch out in front of him - its like he couldn't wait to get me out.

First of all best of luck with everything positive thinking and you will get something. Secondly excusebmy ignorance but have never heard of second round interviews in teaching. Ive been on the job hunt each summer for years and never had that. Also I agree totally if they arent bothered with you at the interview then it shows lack if manner s and you prob wouldn't want to work for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

This happened to me recently. I found the interviewers really argumentative for no reason. I knew they were trying to throw me off and maybe they didn't want any learned off answers. I didn't appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

janes1234 wrote: »
    First of all best of luck with everything positive thinking and you will get something. Secondly excusebmy ignorance but have never heard of second round interviews in teaching. Ive been on the job hunt each summer for years and never had that. Also I agree totally if they arent bothered with you at the interview then it shows lack if manner s and you prob wouldn't want to work for them.

Had 2 ETB interviews this summer that consisted of a preliminary round and a second round. Its a weird situation because they end up asking you many of the same questions they asked in the 1st round so you feel like you're repeating yourself.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Had 2 ETB interviews this summer that consisted of a preliminary round and a second round. Its a weird situation because they end up asking you many of the same questions they asked in the 1st round so you feel like you're repeating yourself.

Hey just wondering if anybody can help when teaching jobs are advertised and they request your cv and the teaching application form is your cv supposed to read different from teaching form? What exactly are they looking for or is the job gone and hoping people wouldn't go to the trouble of filling out the two forms?Can anybody help advice from principals on this matter would be great thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

hockey21 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if anybody can help when teaching jobs are advertised and they request your cv and the teaching application form is your cv supposed to read different from teaching form? What exactly are they looking for or is the job gone and hoping people wouldn't go to the trouble of filling out the two forms?Can anybody help advice from principals on this matter would be great thanks

It just makes it easier for them to distinguish between candidates as CVs may be formatted and laid out differently. Whereas if everyone has to complete the same standard document its much easier to compare like with like. However, I agree it is a pain for us candidates!!

highly1111 wrote: »
    It just makes it easier for them to distinguish between candidates as CVs may be formatted and laid out differently. Whereas if everyone has to complete the same standard document its much easier to compare like with like. However, I agree it is a pain for us candidates!!

So should my cv be saying something different I've the same info on both cv mite have few new bits? But sure my second page is my referees I'm afraid to put them separate as I know principals can bin cvs with more than 2 pages but if referees are in teaching application could I leave them out of cv and have whole new 2nd page of info on cv??? I dunno I just really need a job ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

OP is this fir primary or secondary?

Advertisement