Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat refusing to jump/climb since being ill

• 11-06-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

So I had my cat at the vets last week, she had some kind of gastric bug, was kept in overnight but came home Friday and is back to normal eating, etc.

The thing is, I don't have a catflap so the cats come in and out a small window that I leave open but since she's come home she just refuses to use it. I know she probably was too weak when she was unwell to do it but I feel like she should be capable now but just won't budge. She just sits under the window crying until I open the door to let her in, ditto when she wants to go out (they're indoor/outdoor cats, not litter trained but house-trained to look to go out).

Anyone had this happen to them or know how to get around it? I'm gonna have to consider putting steps up to the window if she keeps refusing to jump up. It's about a 4 foot jump, which isn't huge for a cat I'm thinking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Maybe she still isnt feeling well?

Cats hide it if they are in pain so she may not be "back to normal" despite eating.

Would you not get litter trays for the house so that the cats are not forced to go outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I've tried litter trays but they still prefer to go outside so I gave up as I just ended up with them kicking the litter all over the place. My cats were all originally feral so don't like being confined so it's really not an option to keep them 100% indoors, they freak out if there's not an escape route.

In so far as anyone can ever tell with cats, I really think she is feeling well, she's eating normally and behaving normally in every way other than the window issue. When she was ill she was totally isolating herself and wouldn't come near me or the other cats, all that behaviour has gone since she's recovered. When she wasn't well I suppose I gave her the habit of getting up to open the door to let her in or out and now she's decided she prefers it. I might try leaving her out and try to coax her to jump in the window again. She seems to have no trouble jumping onto furniture or indoor windowsills which are not quite as high as window outside but only about 8" lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

FonE wrote: »
    When she wasn't well I suppose I gave her the habit of getting up to open the door to let her in or out and now she's decided she prefers it.

I think there's your clue :P - Cats are lazy feckers and try their bestest to train their humans to facilitate their comforts.
    Best bet is to let her out through the door but ignore her when she want to come back in other than through the window. If you feel she has problems hopping on the window sill, maybe place a board or some kind of step near it.

Usually, once the desire to go outside becomes too strong they will revert to their old ways - if the human is unavailable :D

Advertisement