Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what honestly happened

Options
  • 11-06-2015 5:17pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ✭✭

Finishing my jynior cert tomorrow and I honestly couldn't be more disappointed. The majority of my exams except Maths, business and Irish were a disaster. Think I got all Cs. I honestly prepared so much for them. I did 5 day a week study classes and studied every weekend and barely anything I studied made an appearance. Thought the papers were horrible this year hope I do better in the leaving :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Finishing my jynior cert tomorrow and I honestly couldn't be more disappointed. The majority of my exams except Maths, business and Irish were a disaster. Think I got all Cs. I honestly prepared so much for them. I did 5 day a week study classes and studied every weekend and barely anything I studied made an appearance. Thought the papers were horrible this year hope I do better in the leaving :(

You'd be suprised how many people feel like this after the exams. The stress of the run-up to the Junior Cert, the exams themselves and then the feeling of being drained after each exam combine to make people feel like they've performed horribly in each exam- even when they haven't!

The key to the Junior Cert (and most exams actually) is practice and preparation. You seem to have done a lot of preparation for these exams so that's already something in your favour.

Even if you don't do as well as you had hoped, just remember that the Junior Cert isn't the end of the world and is a practice run of sorts for the Leaving Cert.

This is easier said than done, but try and put the Junior Cert out of your mind and enjoy your summer. When you go into fifth year (I'm not sure if you're doing TY or not), you will have the experience of finding out what did/didn't work for the Junior Cert on your side and you can apply this knowledge to your Leaving Cert preparation.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your last exam! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would be very surprised if you do not do better than you think you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

I feel the same I got 8 as & 2bs in the mocks & there's no way I got that in the junior... It's so annoying!😓 I studied a lot and I feel as if I've still done badly in nearly everything. Home ec is one of my stronger subjects & ill probably fail it tomorrow...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ✭✭AvrilDoyle2000

Thanks guys but I was really let down especially by History, Geography and French. They were 3 of my strongest subjects in the mocks and I had done huge preparation for them but the thing is I focused on certain areas within them and did lots of past questions. Like in geography I struggle with physical but I prepared very well for it in the short answer questions and I did very well in them in the junior but the longs were a disaster, farming came up and I went blank even though I attempted it and they put two physicals on the geographical mix so I was in trouble for 2 questions altogether. And in question 5 my sketch map was so off scale despite measuring it and dividing by 2. Then history was ok till question 6 when someone thought it would be gas to be celtic Ireland on the paper and that was my weakest so I had to do political developments but I barely remember anything. I should of covered everything so it's my own fault. I was crying my eyes out yesterday it felt like as if I had lost everything. Then french was a disaster the listening was so difficult and I prepared so well listening to the tape and looking up words I didn't know. I bet home ec for me will go down hill as well. There's no way I would do well I know I haven't enough marks to get my mock grades back and an examiners just going to think oh she did nothing when I did. I spent a year studying every day after school till 6;00 and at home. I did easter study classes during the easter break and i came in the week before the exams for study classes and grinds. I haven't missed one day in school in 3rd year. I always listened, did my homework. It's just so unfair it turned out this way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wait till the results come out. Don't let any worrying about 'what might be' spoil your summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

its okay. I felt I did horrible in french aswell. The listening was hard and i'm certain that everybody found it this way. I also thought that quite a lot of the papers were nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Dont worry about your sketch map bring off scale. On the examit and in most books they tell you you need to use a scale, but it isnt necessary. On the syllabus, it says higher level students must be able to draw the map to scale if asked. You werent asked to draw it to scale. Ive had 5 different geography teachers over 3 years (materity leaves) and all of them have said that as long as you mention an approximate scale at the bottom you're grand.

That french exam was more difficult than other years. If a strong student such as yourself found it hard, 90% of the country did. What they will do is allocate lots of marks for the easier questions. They'll probably give 10 marks to each question in section A in the listening, which you more than likely got right.

The History was a b!tch. In my book, theres about 5 lines on burial customs - you were right to choose political. I did social and int. relations. Sure just remember - its 30 marks. Out of that 30, at worst you probably got 15, AT WORST, even for attempting it. You can lose 27 marks and still get an A.

Look on the bright side, you said you did well in Maths, Irish and Business. Think positive, and positive things will come your way. I never did home ec, I go to a boys school and its not offered, but I know theres a project, which is likely to bring you up. I do music, and I know the exam this year will be sh!t and the practical will bring my marks up.

At the same time, I understand how you feel. My mocks really surprised be. I know for a fact I didnt do as well as the mocks. I did study during easter, after school, etc as well. I feel crap about some subjects (english, english, english .... didnt do well in english), but feel grand about others (maths). Just remember you put in the work, and even if the results arnt what you hoped for, the amount of work you put in will stand to you in senior cycle. While others who did nothing will be wasting away at the back of the class, you will be well able to work hard.

But stay positive. GOOD LUCK IN SEPTEMBER ON RESULTS DAY.
    Ps. You always have CSPE ;)

Advertisement