Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Cienciano wrote: »
    Boojum has gone to shíte imho, I wouldn't bother with it anymore

I find it depends which one you go to. The Abbey Street one is not great at all, the Millennium Walkway and Kevin Street ones are still the best. Smithfield is good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

threein99 wrote: »
    I find it depends which one you go to. The Abbey Street one is not great at all, the Millennium Walkway and Kevin Street ones are still the best. Smithfield is good too

I usually go to the kevin street one. I'd give the Millennium Walkway one a go still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Do these guys use palm oil in their ingredients?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Wash your mouth out :eek:

I wanted to after eating it.

I have to go there after work today too. I think mexican's not for me. I like all the individual ingredients but when they're rolled up together it just becomes bland to me.

Also the spicing of the spicy items I find unimaginative. Anything hot appears to me to just have chilli added without a consideration of how the other flavours are going to react to chilli. There's no flare or deftness to harmonise the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Very overrated place. I dont know how they manage to get such publicity about new openings when bunsen and eddie rockets and several other venues that are essentialy the same in my mind are around too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

humberklog how would you rate their burger vis a vis others like Bunsen, Wow, etc? If 5 Guys are around 30% more expensive is their burger that much better?

I think 5 Guys Burgers are better than Bunsen, they are way over priced though considering its just a burger. I am usually disgustingly hungover whenever we have it so that maybe influencing my decision.

I tried a 5 Guys in New York and it wasn't as night as the one here

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Its overrated but still very very nice and high quality ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

humberklog wrote: »
    I wanted to after eating it.

I have to go there after work today too. I think mexican's not for me. I like all the individual ingredients but when they're rolled up together it just becomes bland to me.

Also the spicing of the spicy items I find unimaginative. Anything hot appears to me to just have chilli added without a consideration of how the other flavours are going to react to chilli. There's no flare or deftness to harmonise the ingredients.

Get a bowl in Boojum instead, I find them far preferable to the inevitably soggy burrito. It's actually delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Any love for the burger in the Generator Hostel, Smithfield?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Passenger wrote: »

I'm no burger expert but I do love the Generator burgers. Haven't been for quite a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

Passenger wrote: »
    I haven't tried it. But the burger from Smokin' Bones is up there too.
    As the OP I'm looking forward to trying the new Five Guys in George's St! :)

Birneybau wrote: »
    Get a bowl in Boojum instead, I find them far preferable to the inevitably soggy burrito. It's actually delicious.

I had the bowl yesterday evening. I've also had the 3 hard tacos and the tortilla wrap in Boojoom. I've tried a half dozen or so different taco places now.
    It's just not for me, I find the quality of produce and the spicing and seasoning to be found lacking.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    humberklog how would you rate their burger vis a vis others like Bunsen, Wow, etc? If 5 Guys are around 30% more expensive is their burger that much better?

Going on the one burger from 5 guys I'd put it up pretty high in taste and quality. I like Bunsen too and it's about up there with taste and quality of ingredients. But the prices are that bit higher and the atmosphere is just uncomfortably noisy I'd go Bunsen (or other higher end burger places*) before it.

*not GBK or Jo'burger or Bobo's- 5 guys is better than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

El Grito is the best Mexican place in Dublin. Very small so take away better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks humberklog, tis as I was thinking really. Will try it for novelty sake though doubting I will return at their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭lorcand1990

RasTa wrote: »

Tried El Grito for the first time last week & was seriously impressed. Very authentic tasting & a lot more different flavours than Boojum, although I am a big Boojum fan in general

I'll probably be heading into 5 Guys George's St over the weekend so will report back! Bunsen is my favourite burger place so 5 Guys has a tough task to beat it :)

Had 5 Guys in London last year & wasn't overly impressed, but could have just been that location, it was along the same standard as WOW Burger from memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

RasTa wrote: »
    I love El Grito.

Give the supper club a go at Picado Mexican.
    Holy feck its good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

What's the average price for Burger-Fries-Drink in Georges St.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Oh dear, hope Daddy Desmond doesn’t read the IT! :rolleyes:

‘My worst ever meal as a restaurant reviewer’

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/restaurant-reviews/catherine-cleary-my-worst-ever-meal-as-a-restaurant-reviewer-1.3521284?mode=amp

• Advertisement

I popped in for a 2nd time during the week. Lunchtime again.
    Having figured out how to order from the first time there I was insistent on being heard when ordering. So shouted pretty loudly at the person taking the order.
    I had to shout so loudly and repeatedly that I had to shout my apologies for having to shout.

This time was a messier and more bland affair than the 1st. All the ingredients mushed together into a pretty bland gloop. The bacon helped keep some of the structure of the burger but because of that the RSJ acting bacon was inedible.

But here's a thing- both times I've got pretty bad indigestion afterwards. I've asked others who've eaten there and all 3 have also said the same.

That's me done with it. As the IT reviewer said: there's plenty of other ways to spend considerably less for better in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/restaurant-reviews/catherine-cleary-my-worst-ever-meal-as-a-restaurant-reviewer-1.3521284?mode=amp

1st world problems stink off that
    Its an expensive greasy burger takeaway,what do you expect

She got a veggie sandwich ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

She got a veggie sandwich ?

Yes I like her reviews generally but how can you order a veggie sandwich when reviewing a burger joint. It's not what anyone would go there for so it makes the review pointless.

Yes I like her reviews generally but how can you order a veggie sandwich when reviewing a burger joint. It's not what anyone would go there for so it makes the review pointless.

Yeah it was a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That was one stupid review, what's she reviewing next the salad in FX Buckleys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Review is accurate. There were two people, a beef burger was also purchased - and if the veggie option is meant to be so bad it shouldn't be bought why the hell do they offer it?

Burgers are nothing special, if anything they're below par. Insane portion sizes try to make up for lack of quality, prices are pretty steep.

There are better chippers in housing estates in suburban Dublin; that probably mange to keep the store tidier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

An IT review won't hurt this place the same way a coffee connoisseur reviewing tepid Starbucks coffee won't hurt them. As long as the millenials keep hash tagging Five Guys on their social feeds, this place will be packed regardless of price or quality of food. They've announced a 3rd Dublin restaurant for Swords already! I find their burgers fine but would prefer Wowburger or Eddie Rockets

L1011 wrote: »
    Review is accurate. There were two people, a beef burger was also purchased - and if the veggie option is meant to be so bad it shouldn't be bought why the hell do they offer it?

Burgers are nothing special, if anything they're below par. Insane portion sizes try to make up for lack of quality, prices are pretty steep.

There are better chippers in housing estates in suburban Dublin; that probably mange to keep the store tidier too.

The reviewer didn't have the main food type they sell , what's the point of that?

It's a greasy burger chain if she wants fine dining she shouldn't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭trellheim

that is a wonderfully catty restaurant review. Not nearly as fun as AA Gill though, pity, try harder next time. I bet she didn't like the music.

Advertisement