Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

also "the worst ever review"

There is very little info in it. Most here already know what to expect, but if you read it again you will see it is totally lacking. All this shite about francis brennan, beekeepers etc.
    No mention if the roll is brioche, baked there, or otherwise unusual.
    No mention what the chips are like, are they mcdonalds fries, chipper style, most mention the fact there is skins on them.
    Zero mention about the stupidly large portion size, which is brought up in all other reviews/articles.
    Are the burgers thick? cooked medium like bunsen?
    Can you customise the burgers? choice of toppings?
    No mention of the fact they serve alcohol -unusual for burger places.
    L1011 wrote: »
    if the veggie option is meant to be so bad it shouldn't be bought why the hell do they offer it?
    It is more that people are unlikely to be interested in a review about it. A new chipper opened near me that does a chicken curry with rice, I have no interest in hearing about it.

I imagine I would get the same look ordering the chicken curry as she did ordering a sandwich.

If I was a vegetarian (or just did not fancy meat that day) I reckon I would be going to a sandwich bar and not a hamburger joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

threein99 wrote: »
    The reviewer didn't have the main food type they sell , what's the point of that?

It's a greasy burger chain if she wants fine dining she shouldn't be there.

It is likely (and the text implies) that she ate both. It is normal for a reviewer to go with someone, order totally different things for both people and try all of them. So they can get a good idea of the entire product range

The beef burger is described as poor in the review, for those who think it's the only thing worth mentioning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

L1011 wrote: »
    It is likely (and the text implies) that she ate both. It is normal for a reviewer to go with someone, order totally different things for both people and try all of them. So they can get a good idea of the entire product range

The beef burger is described as poor in the review, for those who think it's the only thing worth mentioning

"The actual burger is fine, in an “it’s not rocket science” beefy, meaty kind of way"

That's the only mention of the burger in the whole review and it's on paragraph 6 or 7. It's not not clear whether she actually has eaten it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It think it's normal for a reviewer and her mate to get different things. I still reckon she should have got a normal burger though. As for a veggie option in a burger obviously being shíte, I was in My Meat Wagon with vegetarians who got the veggie burger and they said it was really good. If you can't do something right, don't put it on the menu, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have only been to five guys once here in Dundrum....it was overpriced rubbish...greasy...wouldnt have it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’ve had 5 Guys in dubdrum; it’s alright. What I don’t get is why Desmond Jr pays (presumably) huge franchise fees while McKillen Jr effectively creates the same menu (Wowburger) without that added overhead.

Cienciano wrote: »
    It think it's normal for a reviewer and her mate to get different things. I still reckon she should have got a normal burger though.
    a burger and a hot dog would have made more sense, and both types of chips.
    My Meat Wagon with vegetarians who got the veggie burger and they said it was really good
    the reviewer got a veggie sandwich, there is no veggie burger in 5 guys.

i.e. there is no "patty" in them. Seems to be just a burger without the beef patty.
    VEGGIE SANDWICH
    Freshly grilled onions, mushrooms, and green peppers, layered with lettuce and tomatoes, on a soft toasted bun. Or, start with the bun and build your own from scratch. Not a veggie burger.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I’ve had 5 Guys in dubdrum; it’s alright. What I don’t get is why Desmond Jr pays (presumably) huge franchise fees while McKillen Jr effectively creates the same menu (Wowburger) without that added overhead.

because Desmond Jr still thinks it's the 1980's and that all Irish people think that all things from the US of A are automatically super cool and amazing.
    thankfully that inferiority complex has largely dissipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We went last week, and I honestly don't understand the fuss, I would have been happier with McDonald's.

Lux23 wrote: »
    We went last week, and I honestly don't understand the fuss, I would have been happier with McDonald's.

Its like a more filling McDonalds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was in My Meat Wagon

Havent been in there in ages, in fact I forgot they were there till you said it. How was it?

A little cheeseburger in 5 guys is €6.95. In mcdonalds you would get 3 double cheese burgers and 1 regular burger for that.

So its sort of like saying going to that german beer festival in dublin gets you more drunk or "is more filling" than a regular pub, since they only sell 1L glasses.

McDonalds is relatively small portion sizes, low calories, this is why it is not particularly filling. People go on like there is something odd about the food.

When the large big mac was released all over social media people were saying "its not big at all", as people are just used to bigger burgers nowadays.

rubadub wrote: »
    A little cheeseburger in 5 guys is €6.95. In mcdonalds you would get 3 double cheese burgers and 1 regular burger for that.

So its sort of like saying going to that german beer festival in dublin gets you more drunk or "is more filling" than a regular pub, since they only sell 1L glasses.

McDonalds is relatively small portion sizes, low calories, this is why it is not particularly filling. People go on like there is something odd about the food.

When the large big mac was released all over social media people were saying "its not big at all", as people are just used to bigger burgers nowadays.

I'm talking one meal from Five Guys v one McDonald's meal be more filling. I know how much both cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

It think it's normal for a reviewer and her mate to get different things. I still reckon she should have got a normal burger though. As for a veggie option in a burger obviously being shíte, I was in My Meat Wagon with vegetarians who got the veggie burger and they said it was really good. If you can't do something right, don't put it on the menu, simple as.

they were also gargled at the time.

I'm talking one meal from Five Guys v one McDonald's meal be more filling.
    I think everybody knows this, which is a real downside to five guys for me. You appeared to be making out like it is possibly an advantage.

five guys do not even have "meals" anyway.

Just buy the amount of food you want in mcdonalds, you can not just pop into five guys for a sneaky small burger, the smallest is big. McDonalds is great as you can buy lots of different things, current eurosavers

Hamburger
    Hamburger - €1

Sugar Donut
    Sugar Donut - €1

Apple Pie
    Apple Pie - €1

Mayo Chicken
    Mayo Chicken - €1.50

Cheese Burger
    Cheeseburger - €1.50

Double Cheeseburger
    Double cheeseburger - €2

Chicken Bacon
    Chicken Bacon Burger -
    €2

Twisty Fries
    Twisty fries - €2

Six Chicken McNuggets ®
    Six Chicken McNuggets - €2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The burgers are definitely bigger, but I would be just as satisfied with the medium sized meal from Maccers. Maybe with a couple of chicken nuggets thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Havent been in there in ages, in fact I forgot they were there till you said it. How was it?

A few years ago, but really good. Hopefully standards haven't slipped

I havent been to my meat wagon in maybe 2/3 months but always found it really tasty, though the portion sizes are huge so I just tend to go for the box now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

gmisk wrote: »
    I havent been to my meat wagon in maybe 2/3 months but always found it really tasty, though the portion sizes are huge so I just tend to go for the box now.

How can you eat cardboard?

Passenger wrote: »
    How can you eat cardboard?
    Id say you just chomp away on it...

Its served in a box....I dont think you are meant to eat it...though the box might be tastier than a five guys....

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Id say you just chomp away on it...

Its served in a box....I dont think you are meant to eat it...though the box might be tastier than a five guys....

Meat in a box?! What a time to be alive. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The veggie burgers in Jo'Burger are so good that despite being a meat-eater, it's my usual order.

The veggie burgers in Jo'Burger are so good that despite being a meat-eater, it's my usual order.

That the franchise in Smithfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That the franchise in Smithfield?

Not sure if there's one there but the have one opposite Grogans off Grafton Street.

Meat in a box?! What a time to be alive. :pac:
    Well it makes about as much sense as having it on a wooden board (with a shopping trolley filled with chips...) and probably a lot more hygienic....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not sure if there's one there
    There is, opposite the Jameson museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

glasso wrote: »
    because Desmond Jr still thinks it's the 1980's and that all Irish people think that all things from the US of A are automatically super cool and amazing.
    thankfully that inferiority complex has largely dissipated.
    It's just been replaced by the insta and Snapchat narcissistic generation where such branded outlets are perfect photo / post opportunities.

I've only been once in Dundrum.
    Burger was ok, but I'd get better in Eddie's.
    Bunsen still best for me.
    The chips in 5 Guys were vile! Far too much salt / seasoning. Had to smoother them in kethcup to make them edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

We've only ever ordered the junior burger in Five Guys and it's more than enough (similar to a standard quarter pounder).  I think I'd get sick or be bloated for hours if I tried their normal size one combined with the overloaded portion of fries you get.  I agree with the reviewer in that quantity does not compensate for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Response doesn't address anything other than basically admit their veggie option is sub-par. If you don't want to do something right don't do it

Advertisement