Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Saipanne wrote: »
    Exactly. But I'm open to being proved wrong. So there's an air of mystery to it.

When you try it will you report back here with your impressions? I'd be really interested to know whether it lived up to your expectations or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Washout wrote: »
    5 squids for a large fries? your having a giraffe arent you?

That's always the way with these 'luxury' burger places. They serve you deep fried potatoes, but then sprinkle dried rosemary on top and leave the skin on so they can charge double the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Saipanne wrote: »
    That's always the way with these 'luxury' burger places. They serve you deep fried potatoes, but then sprinkle dried rosemary on top and leave the skin on so they can charge double the price.

Don't forget the fact that they serve it on a plate and give you a knife and fork to use. That's got to be worth the extra tenner you're paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

5 guys are not a luxury burger place, nor do they have plates or cutlery.

Why are you people moaning about something you have no idea about.

I will happily drop into Five Guys a couple of times a year, they do good burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

When you try it will you report back here with your impressions? I'd be really interested to know whether it lived up to your expectations or not.

Are Byron in Dublin? They do a much nicer burger than Five Guys if you are looking for a fast food burger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

5 guys are not a luxury burger place, nor do they have plates or cutlery.

Why are you people moaning about something you have no idea about.

I will happily drop into Five Guys a couple of times a year, they do good burgers.

My comment was in reply to a comment about 'luxury' burger joints

My comment was in reply to a comment about 'luxury' burger joints

And I was referring to 'luxury' fries. Before he jumps in again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: I'm not sure what was in the air last night, but this and the other burger thread have gone to pot a bit with some posters really losing the run of themselves and making themselves look silly. This will stop one way or another. Easy way is for posters to reread the charter paying particular attention to: not being a dick/behaving like children; reporting trolling/posts in the correct manner instead of back-seat modding; derailing; personal abuse; and generally realising that your opinions are just, that opinions and behaving accordingly. The other way, the hard way, will involve cards and bans from now on. Your choice. Think harder before you post.

(ditto/crossposted on the other thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Five guys food is far nicer than Eddie rockets imo

Having had both within a 24 hour period (Birmingham and Dublin), the difference is marginal at best. Eddies was actually vastly quicker service too, somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

When I lived in the states myself and the missus would go to the Five Guys on state street once every few weeks before heading out for the night. It was like a tradition, stop by Five Guys on the way to meeting people in the Brocach.
    We'd order a hamburger each, a regular portion of Cajun fries (it's way too much for one person) and 2 cokes.
    It cost us about $17 total and we'd leave the $3 as a tip. So $10 each.

I think that's decent value for what you get in the states. But looking at the UK prices that same order would have been closer to $30 without the tip. That's ridiculous. You'd be way better off walking the extra 5 minutes in either direction to either Bunsen of WowBurger for a better burger at about half the price.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Having had both within a 24 hour period (Birmingham and Dublin), the difference is marginal at best. Eddies was actually vastly quicker service too, somehow.

I await my let down with glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looking forward to trying them but they'll have to be something very special to beat Bunsen or Jo'burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Looking forward to trying them but they'll have to be something very special to beat Bunsen or Jo'burger.

If they go in with prices above Bunsen, I simply won't be bothering.
    They may get a lot of initial custom, but repeat purchasers could be hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pitbull_19

If you want to taste five guys and fries in Dublin, go to wow burger upstairs in the workmans club it's open during the day 12-9 having been to 5 guys in New York after a week of being in wow I can safely say they are identical there fries are very different tho, get the bacon cheeseburger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I spotted a 5 guys over in Dubai and, having read this thread, thought sweet - I gotta check this out.

I had a cheeseburger with a milkshake and chips. The service was excellent, it is in most places there. The portions were big but I've enjoyed other burger joints more I think. Overall, they do a good job of giving a wholesome impression. There were sacks of potatoes ( not actually filled I'm sure ) dotted around the place and the chips were well prepared and cooked in nut oil. I left slightly disappointed, although I couldn't fault the food I realised that past a certain point, the experience of which burger joint is better than another is subjective and is influenced by other elements such as the environment, hype and cost, perhaps more that we might realise. The bill was 85 dirhams which is just over 20 euro.

There's still a lot to be said for Burger King to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

i have been to 5guys a couple of times in the States. I have to say for fast food it's top notch. I noticed about fifty bags of potatoes which meant that they're done fresh on site and are pretty good especially the cajun. Burgers are good, meat is fresh and tasty. I have to stress that it is very good fast food, so don't expect top notch culinary.

I have a link below with pics to the new shop in Liverpool, it will probably give an idea of what a potential Dublin place would look like.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/five-guys-liverpool-exclusive-first-10554314

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Is it open already?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Is it open already?

Your unlikely to miss the press in the run up to its opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Washout wrote: »
    5 squids for a large fries? your having a giraffe arent you?
    I can see them getting that in certain parts of Dublin no bother if everything else is right.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Is it open already?

Is this the one on St Stephens Green?
    How's it coming along?

I heard Bunsen are opening soon on St Annes Street also.
    Are we about to hit 'peak burger'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bunsen on

Bunsen on Sth Anne street would be very welcome. Two people can have a burger, fries and drink there for €22. If more or less the same thing costs nigh on €40 in Five Guys just up the road in Stephens Green I'd imagine it'll be Bunsen that has the queues coming out of it. No doubt some people with more money than sense will still go to Five Guys but it is hard to justify that kind of price differential for very similar products. Theres a reason why Bunsen are so popular- they offer a premium burger that even a student can afford.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bunsen on Sth Anne street would be very welcome. Two people can have a burger, fries and drink there for €22. If more or less the same thing costs nigh on €40 in Five Guys just up the road in Stephens Green I'd imagine it'll be Bunsen that has the queues coming out of it. No doubt some people with more money than sense will still go to Five Guys but it is hard to justify that kind of price differential for very similar products. Theres a reason why Bunsen are so popular- they offer a premium burger that even a student can afford.

True, but I reckon 5 Guys will bank a lot on grabbing the tourist trade with such a prime tourist location.
    It didn't work too well for Planet Hollywood though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Muahahaha wrote: »

So much of this. I still get surprised every time I get a bill in Bunsen because its so cheap.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    True, but I reckon 5 Guys will bank a lot on grabbing the tourist trade with such a prime tourist location.
    It didn't work too well for Planet Hollywood though!

Yeah I'd say 5 Guys will do alright in that location. I think though that a unit on Stephens Green will mean their rent will be so big that it might not leave them for much wiggle room to drop their prices if they do find that they're been outstripped by Bunsen, Counter, Bobo's, etc who are all within a 1km radius of them producing a similar product for less money. Five Guys will get a good tourist trade in that location for sure but come October to March they'll need a steady local clientele to fill tables and pay nearly €40 for two burgers, chips and drinks. I can see them struggling in the winter months and won't be too surprised if I see them ending up on Groupon doing Monday-Thursday discounted offers just to fill the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I'd pay triple for Five Guys over Bunsen purely because I don't rate Bunsen at all.
    Five Guys would be most welcome in a city that is littered with sub par burgers. Agree that it is over priced in many places though especially the likes of London where there are superior burgers like Honest and Patty and Bun that are cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I'd pay triple for Five Guys over Bunsen purely because I don't rate Bunsen at all.
    Five Guys would be most welcome in a city that is littered with sub par burgers. Agree that it is over priced in many places though especially the likes of London where there are superior burgers like Honest and Patty and Bun that are cheaper.

What is wrong with Bunsen? They literally changed what it means to get a burger in Dublin. I have been to restaurants three times the price of Bunsen and the burger is half as nice. Bunsen is about a great simple burger. But a greasy burger with a ton of rotten fillings like most people like

Thinking a Franchisee of a chain is going to be better than Bunsen is naive IMO. You are going to be paying for the "brand" with Five guys and not the quality.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    What is wrong with Bunsen?
    Thinking a Franchisee of a chain is going to be better than Bunsen is naive IMO. You are going to be paying for the "brand" with Five guys and not the quality.
    Bunsen don't season the meat enough, the cheese wasn't melted properly on both occasions and didn't seem like proper american cheese, not sure what it is. The bun is a potato roll which i just plain don't like and their in-house version is one of the worst versions I've had. Being honest, all I could taste from the burger was mustard. They did cook it rare though so thats a plus.

I've eaten at 5 guys a couple of times and found their burgers to have far more flavour. Certainly nowhere as good as In-n-out or Habit but pretty good compared to most chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Bunsen don't season the meat enough, the cheese wasn't melted properly on both occasions and didn't seem like proper american cheese, not sure what it is. The bun is a potato roll which i just plain don't like and their in-house version is one of the worst versions I've had. Being honest, all I could taste from the burger was mustard. They did cook it rare though so thats a plus.

I've eaten at 5 guys a couple of times and found their burgers to have far more flavour. Certainly nowhere as good as In-n-out or Habit but pretty good compared to most chains.

They deliberately dont over season their meat. It is on their website I think. They also formulated their own cheese for the burger. It is not eazy singles like some places. They list the whole reasoning for their burger on the website

In-n-Out Burger is supposed to be reasonable cheap and good quality. Five Guys is pricer and often not considered as good

• Advertisement

newacc2015 wrote: »
    They deliberately dont over season their meat. It is on their website I think. They also formulated their own cheese for the burger. It is not eazy singles like some places. They list the whole reasoning for their burger on the website

They just say that they season before cooking, and I'd just like a bit more salt because I think its bland. THey also use regular american cheese apparently but that may have changed since I was there as they tested their own blend apparently, the bun is also made in a bakery in Tallaght now so that might be better also. When i went they were made in-house and awful.

Advertisement