Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Bunsen could do up their gem though, there is a burger place in Portland that's almost identical to bunsen. But there sauce and cheese is top class. Goats cheese, chev and blue are on the menu. Bunsen uses horrible american style cheese.

Is it just me that finds it odd that apparently Bunsen could do with upping their game because there’s a place in Portland that apparently does a better burger??!

That would Portland, Oregon, United States of America – nearly five thousand miles away.
    Why does location matter? Why shouldn't we want better. Bunsen's cheese does not taste good, its the only negative about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I've eaten at 5 guys a couple of times and found their burgers to have far more flavour. Certainly nowhere as good as In-n-out or Habit but pretty good compared to most chains.

In-N-Out burgers (and fries) have always underwhelmed me tbh - and I've given them a go in a few states. Despite what their west coast acolytes fervently appear to believe, their fare is like a slightly more upmarket version of McD's. Five Guys offering is far closer to what I'd expect a proper burger to deliver in terms of flavour, texture and visual appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Yamanoto wrote: »
    In-N-Out burgers (and fries) have always underwhelmed me tbh - and I've given them a go in a few states. Despite what their west coast acolytes fervently appear to believe, their fare is like a slightly more upmarket version of McD's. Five Guys offering is far closer to what I'd expect a proper burger to deliver in terms of flavour, texture and visual appeal.
    CAn someone explain this so called "proper" burger that gets mentioned a lot on boards. In-n-Out are never frozen just like Five Guys so the only difference is the size and overloaded burgers that are impossible to actually get your mouth around, the likes of which are sold almost everywhere in Dublin, are not really for me. They defeat the original purpose of the burger, to be a food that is easy to eat with your hands.
    Anyway I'm straying off topic, still looking forward to five guys and in the meantime looking for a halfway decent burger to eat in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

CAn someone explain this so called "proper" burger that gets mentioned a lot on boards. In-n-Out are never frozen just like Five Guys so the only difference is the size...

Being a significantly smaller burger, the In-N-Out patty isn't nearly as succulent & can't stay on the griddle long enough to develop anything approaching a distinctly seared flavour. So size tends to make a difference. Though the option is there in theory, I've also found it can't be cooked to order in any meaningful way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Had In N Out burger in Hollywood in the drive through and it was nice but not spectacular.

I've got 5 guys burgers and fries many times in vancouver and it was incredible everytime.

Bunsen is decent but I think Wowburger and Counter burger are nicer.

5 guys is still the nicest I've had (I also love the cajun fries :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CAn someone explain this so called "proper" burger that gets mentioned a lot on boards. In-n-Out are never frozen just like Five Guys so the only difference is the size and overloaded burgers that are impossible to actually get your mouth around, the likes of which are sold almost everywhere in Dublin, are not really for me. They defeat the original purpose of the burger, to be a food that is easy to eat with your hands.
    Anyway I'm straying off topic, still looking forward to five guys and in the meantime looking for a halfway decent burger to eat in Dublin.

Everyone has different tastes don't forget. I agree with you on the big thick burgers, I hate them. Lovindublin had top 10 burgers in Dublin, half of them were the big thick burgers.
    Counter is the nicest I've had in Dublin, but it will depend on the toppings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How do people order their burgers in places like Bunsen etc?

Like who for example asks for it well done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

RasTa wrote: »
    How do people order their burgers in places like Bunsen etc?

Like who for example asks for it well done?

Have tended to have it well done in there alright as it added slightly more flavour to their meat patty. Medium just didn't make all that much difference flavour-wise with the veg and condiments in the burger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

How big are Five Guys portions and what do they put in them?

I ask because a Bacon Cheeseburger & Fries provides your full daily amount of calories :eek:

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu/nutrition

Then again, maybe all burger places do!

Passenger wrote: »
    Have tended to have it well done in there alright as it added slightly more flavour to their meat patty. Medium just didn't make all that much difference flavour-wise with the veg and condiments in the burger too.

How does cooking the juice out of it add more flavour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Passenger wrote: »

How does cooking the juice out of it add more flavour?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    How big are Five Guys portions and what do they put in them?

I ask because a Bacon Cheeseburger & Fries provides your full daily amount of calories :eek:

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu/nutrition

Then again, maybe all burger places do!

The burgers are double by default, they are quite big. I've only been once, there's one near(ish) us in Lakeside, I didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. It wasn't cheap but we'd know not to order as much next time. T'was bloody loverly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I work with a number of dining brands here in the Middle East & the Head Chef from one of the major chains tells me that the best burger from any of these casual dining chains is The Counter... It has the most meat content and best flavour...

The group he works for owns some of the other brands, but he doesn't rate them. They might be positioned as high quality, but may not actually be...

Personally I find most American food is either loaded with sugar or salt. 5 Guys is loaded with salt; I don't mind their quality, but the salt turns me off...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There is no "best" when it comes to food. There's only taste. That Chef may prefer one over the other but he's just a dude working with a franchise. He isn't the oracle.

There's no wrong answer to which burger people prefer. As long as we have choice, we're good

Dodge wrote: »
    There is no "best" when it comes to food. There's only taste. That Chef may prefer one over the other but he's just a dude working with a franchise. He isn't the oracle.

There's no wrong answer to which burger people prefer. As long as we have choice, we're good

Actually that's not correct. This guy is almost a food scientist, one of his kitchens is almost like a laboratory. When he discusses the quality of a burger, he is talking about the quality of the meat, the percentage of meat in the patty, how it is prepared, how much bacteria and additional ingredients it has, where the herd of cow is from, how fresh the food is, is it organic or are there chemicals in its production, what are the health benefits or otherwise... He is college educated & has served a lengthy apprenticeship, he takes food quality very seriously. So he is something of an oracle...

Your point of what burger you prefer to eat is moot... as I say, some chain load the burger up with sugar, send your taste-buds and hormones into overdrive, provide you with short term satisfaction & may even extend that satisfaction by adding various chemicals... That may be the burger you chose to enjoy most, but that does not make it the best burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KyleMurt15

It's opening in Dundrum in the next month, I have a mate who got a job there.

You don't need to go well done to get a Maillard reaction.

You don't need to go well done to get a Maillard reaction.

Yeah, afaik, the maillard reaction is just the outside where it touches the pan/heat.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Actually that's not correct. This guy is almost a food scientist, one of his kitchens is almost like a laboratory. When he discusses the quality of a burger, he is talking about the quality of the meat, the percentage of meat in the patty, how it is prepared, how much bacteria and additional ingredients it has, where the herd of cow is from, how fresh the food is, is it organic or are there chemicals in its production, what are the health benefits or otherwise... He is college educated & has served a lengthy apprenticeship, he takes food quality very seriously. So he is something of an oracle...
    He can analyse it all he wants, he can't tell someone one enjoys one burger that they're wrong.

He can provide the basis for what most people enjoy, but it doesn't really matter.

Dodge wrote: »
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    He can analyse it all he wants, he can't tell someone one enjoys one burger that they're wrong.

He can provide the basis for what most people enjoy, but it doesn't really matter.
    I don't think you understand my point... Each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 emerec

KyleMurt15 wrote: »
    It's opening in Dundrum in the next month, I have a mate who got a job there.

as a crew member? I went for an interview and I'm waiting to hear back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Jesus. Counter have some of the worst beef burgers I've had in "gourmet burger shops" in Dublin. I won't go near the beef in there.

The other meats are great, but I can't believe people are raving about their beef.

Hanley wrote: »
    Jesus. Counter have some of the worst beef burgers I've had in "gourmet burger shops" in Dublin. I won't go near the beef in there.

The other meats are great, but I can't believe people are raving about their beef.

I've been twice, quality both times. Did you get a dodgy one? I went to Darwins Steakhouse which is supposedly one of the best steakhouses in Dublin and got the worst steak ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I tried Wowburger for the first time when I was in Dublin earlier in the week. Really good, in fact the best burger I have had in Ireland, but they couldn't have ripped 5 Guys off any more if they tried, the whole setup is almost identical.

So, basically, there's already a 5 Guys in Dublin imo, it's upstairs in the Bison Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Lucas Hood wrote: »

You mad? A tenner for a cheese burger and a fiver for chips? I'll go and try it out but I certainly wont be making frequent trips to Dundrum for it, not when Bunsen is so close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

You mad? A tenner for a cheese burger and a fiver for chips?

Yeah, but a cheeseburger & chips will give you enough calories for the whole day :eek:

http://www.fiveguys.com/en/menu/nutrition

Do they have a good plus-size range in Hollister?

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Yeah, but a cheeseburger & chips will give you enough calories for the whole day :eek:

http://www.fiveguys.com/en/menu/nutrition

Do they have a good plus-size range in Hollister?

Burgers and chips aren't healthy, what a shock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cheaper than the UK branches by at least the sterling rate. Much more competition here than the UK for that specific market though - Eddie Rockets are more common than the UK identical Eds (no idea who copied who) and they really are targeting the same people.

If eddies brought back their old 9.95 deal the five guys prices would have to fall further.

Advertisement