Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You mad? A tenner for a cheese burger and a fiver for chips? I'll go and try it out but I certainly wont be making frequent trips to Dundrum for it, not when Bunsen is so close to me.

While not cheap, I am surprised that the prices aren't scandalous - although €1.50 for some cheese did make me happy I'm not a fan. I will stress that the burgers are double by default, the 'little' option is a single burger. We also learned quickly that one regular portion of chips is more than enough for 2 people. The food is excellent.

Either way, it's not enough to make me want to visit that Dundrum hellhole. Were I already there, it would probably be my 1st choice for grub (although I'm struggling to remember what else is there!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Smokers and Jokers?

I got a large fries the last time I was in one in the US. First time ever that I wasn't able to finish the fries.

Will they have the self service / free refill touchscreen soft drink dispensers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Hanley wrote: »
    much more reasonable than I expected tbh!

It costs €18.50 for a burger, chips and drink wrapped in paper. "Reasonable" or "aren't bad" are not words to describe those prices

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

A fiver for chips is nuts. But a tenner for the burger is pretty much standard now I would have thought?

I won't be making any trips to Dundrum just for this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

a regular fries in five guys typically services at LEAST two people, FYI

five guys definitely is not cheap but its no more expensive than eddie rockets and is way nicer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's all relative. If you were expecting €14 a burger, it's cheap. If you were expecting fast food prices, it's not

Don't think I'll be trying them at the prices but it's always good to have options

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't think €8-€10 for a decent burger is too expensive, and if those fries serve two, not bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I went to one in the uk the burger was tasty, not the best I've had ever but good, the fries though were gross triple baked or something. Whatever happened to them it was a mistake. I wouldn't go back it was just a treat for that day but I'm priced out of making it a regular thing, nor would I want to because I can get two decent chinese take away meals for the same price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cienciano wrote: »
    It costs €18.50 for a burger, chips and drink wrapped in paper. "Reasonable" or "aren't bad" are not words to describe those prices

The burgers are double as standard.

The chips serve two.

The drink... you could always just have water.

I'd rather pay €13-14 for a double burger and chips in Bunsen than €10 in MaccyDs.

The food quality doesn't compare either.

And tbh - €12-18 is basically the standard "not fast food, but not quite fancy restaurant" price for most meals now anyway.

...and this is coming from somone who isn't even Five Guys biggest fan.

I got a double burger in Bunsen a while ago for 9.45 I think - definitely worth it as it was probably the nicest tasting burger I've ever had (although I've probably only eaten "fancy-ish" burgers in about 10 places before). As someone said, it's all relative - if you asked my younger self who had only ever eaten mcdonalds etc. I would have thought "no way am I paying a tenner for a burger" but these days a tenner for a large, high quality burger seems about right. I'll probably try out five guys at some point regardless of what it costs just to try it out and if the trade off of quality to price doesn't hold up I won't go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The burgers are double as standard.

The chips serve two.

The drink... you could always just have water.

I'd rather pay €13-14 for a double burger and chips in Bunsen than €10 in MaccyDs.

The food quality doesn't compare either.

And tbh - €12-18 is basically the standard "not fast food, but not quite fancy restaurant" price for most meals now anyway.

...and this is coming from somone who isn't even Five Guys biggest fan.
    Fair enough if it's a massive portion of fries and a double burger. It's a bit higher than average, but I'd still pay it to see what it's like

A burger, fries and drink in in-n-out in America costs €5, so just some perspective on the word "reasonable" here.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fair enough if it's a massive portion of fries and a double burger. It's a bit higher than average, but I'd still pay it to see what it's like

A burger, fries and drink in in-n-out in America costs €5, so just some perspective on the word "reasonable" here.

I'd much rather eat at in and out man, it's just the €600 commute that's a killer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    How big are Five Guys portions and what do they put in them?

I ask because a Bacon Cheeseburger & Fries provides your full daily amount of calories :eek:

http://www.fiveguys.com/menu/nutrition

Then again, maybe all burger places do!
    Dodge wrote: »
    Burgers and chips aren't healthy, what a shock
    I use the calories to compare portion sizes. Many places wrongly presume everyone wants low calories and so will falsify their numbers, they can easily send off a small burger to a lab to be tested.

I would look at the UK figures before the US ones, ours are probably closer in size to theirs.
    https://www.fiveguys.co.uk/download/nutrition.pdf

I used to count calories and have weighed chips from an italian chipper before and they are usually about 450g, I have gotten bags over 800g which is unusual. The 5 guys chips are small/reg/large 227/411/567g. So the regular should be like a standard bag of chips, which may well be enough for 2 people.

A big mac is 490kcal a "little hamburger" is 505kcal

Eddie rockets still do have meal deals, 4.50 extra for reg chips & reg drink with any burger

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How many oz is a single/double burger?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Huntelaar

I've been to Five Guys once before, and it was in Belfast.

Tbh I was absolutely disgusted with it, had work not been paying for it I think I would've had a little cry in the corner afterwards!

For a double bacon cheeseburger, regular chips and regular coke it came to over €22 (after conversion) which is a disgrace.

Obviously looking at the Dublin menu its a little bit cheaper but I still think €18 is waaaay over the odds.

In relation to the food I had in Belfast, the burger was horrendous. It was literally not even a step above McDonalds quality. It had the same vile cardboard texture and for €18/22, I think I'd expect a lot more!

I have to say I thought the chips were quite nice, especially with the cajun stuff on them and the free refills for drinks is nice, but overall I would never go back after that experience.

Bunsen is still comfortably king in my books and for a far more reasonable price given what you get for your buck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How many oz is a single/double burger?

going by the calories looks like they are 4oz (1/4lbers), possibly 5

A whopper is 611kcal, a double whopper is 840kcal so 229kcal more for the extra pattie. Don't think there is anything extra on them.

http://www.whopper.ie/menu/flame-grilled-burgers/

The 5 guys little burger is 505 and double is 750, so 245kcal more.

Whopper patties are 4oz, and I reckon the 5 guys might have a bit more fat and so be a little higher,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 coq au vin

Was there today - savage burgers and Cajun chips really nice

coq au vin wrote: »
    Was there today - savage burgers and Cajun chips really nice

presume no stupid queues?

Ate in Five Guys today.

More impressed than I expected to be.

Definitely better than the UK ones I've eaten in.

Bill total was €26 for 2 burgers, a regular fries (shared between 2) and a bottle of water.

Pretty reasonable for what we got in my book - if it was served on a plate with silverware no one would give out about the price.

Disappointed not to see the 1,000,000 different soft drink flavour machine, esp when it's €3.25 for a soft drink (unlimted refills) but if you don't want it then just don't get it.

We'll be back for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

So they don't have the touch screen soft drink dispensers?

Pity, I have eaten in 5 different ones in the last couple of years including one of the London ones last week, all had the touch screen soft drink dispensers, I hoped they would have it in the Irish ones also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Baffled that people expect some American food chain to be a step up in quality compared to what we are used to. Their beef is banned from sale in Europe so presumably they're sourcing it locally.

Subway has touch screen soft drink dispensers. I don't like all drinks coming from the same nozzle, but it's not a special thing either way surely?

Went yesterday. Really enjoyed it. €8 for a big hamburger is definitely a good price. We got the large fries and absolutely enough for 3 of us. I like that ordering your toppings is standard and not seen as you being awkward.

Subway has touch screen soft drink dispensers. I don't like all drinks coming from the same nozzle, but it's not a special thing either way surely?

Went yesterday. Really enjoyed it. €8 for a big hamburger is definitely a good price. We got the large fries and absolutely enough for 3 of us. I like that ordering your toppings is standard and not seen as you being awkward.

It is special when you can get lime coke, strawberry coke, raspberry coke and mix them etc

It is special when you can get lime coke, strawberry coke, raspberry coke and mix them etc

I genuinely can't think of anything worse to drink. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

crushproof wrote: »
    £14.50 for a Cheeseburger, fries and coke......F%$k me, that's even more than when I had it. And that's in Manchester which is probably the cheap city in the UK for food.

So works out at €20..... wow. :rolleyes: The 2 course early bird menu in FX Buckleys is €20 I think, I think I know what I'd be going for....

+1
    Way over priced food.
    I was in the dundrum one and when I saw the prices I just walked out.
    I will pay that for a decent meal, for a burger and spuds - no way

A real turn off rad the noise of the place as well, 250 people talking loundly, no thanks

I genuinely can't think of anything worse to drink. :eek:

Fair enough, but you are missing out, big time!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

maximum12 wrote: »
    Baffled that people expect some American food chain to be a step up in quality compared to what we are used to. Their beef is banned from sale in Europe so presumably they're sourcing it locally.

not entirely true, only beef that has a certain hormone added is banned but not all. They also banned Irish meat for a long time, more a political thing between the US and the EU than actually caring about health. Also, nothing has been proven that the hormones in any way adversely affect humans when eaten.

On another note, I do think that Five Guys is a big step up compared to what people have gotten used to. It actually tastes like a burger should and not an overcooked hockey puck under a pile of tasteless veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Pretty reasonable for what we got in my book - if it was served on a plate with silverware no one would give out about the price.

This is what bugs me about people moaning about the price of five guys - most of them will happily pay more for a much poorer version of the same kind of food when its dished out on a plate with a knife and fork and someone brings it down to your table, just because some place markets itself as a 'gastropub' or other similar nonsense.

If people want a burger and chips for a fiver and turn their nose up at five guys then, fair enough, you can always eat the stuff that is passed off as food at McDonalds instead.

You're missing out in Dundrum not having the drinks mixer machine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

They are opening a branch in limerick soon so I would say there's plenty more planned for Dublin, be interested to see the locations they pick

• Advertisement

Big fan of Five Guys for a few years now, but Bunsen Burger beats them all. Hands down. And is similar price to Five Guys.

Advertisement