Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was really excited to hear them open here, then I saw the pricing.

Sorry but I don't understand where it started becoming acceptable charging that amount of money for a burger and chips. I know in my general area it was Gourmet burger, and it is an amazingly average burger.

Few people in work were looking forward to going here on Fridays, but we arn't going to bother .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

TheDoc wrote: »

Sorry but I don't understand where it started becoming acceptable charging that amount of money for a burger and chips. I know in my general area it was Gourmet burger, and it is an amazingly average burger.

Few people in work were looking forward to going here on Fridays, but we arn't going to bother .

2 people could easily eat 2 huge burgers (all the toppings etc) for €16 and €4.50 for enough chips for the pair of them. That's cheaper than Eddie Rockets and they've been doing OK business for 30 years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Hanley wrote: »

Disappointed not to see the 1,000,000 different soft drink flavour machine, esp when it's €3.25 for a soft drink (unlimted refills) but if you don't want it then just don't get it.

Thise machines will be coming soon...

...and made in Mayo!

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/28484-coca-cola-to-invest-26m-in-ballina-create-new-jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TheDoc wrote: »

Facebook , Instagram, Snapchat. News feeds telling you how great it is, Boutique burgers not like anything you could cook at home yourself.

All that bullcrap.

Its a burger and fries, the burgers are made from beef meat like most normal restaurants have been making for decades but sure Social Media wasnt around then to promote that stuff.

Is it robbery ? yes
    do people care ? seemingly not.

Dodge wrote: »
    2 people could easily eat 2 huge burgers (all the toppings etc) for €16 and €4.50 for enough chips for the pair of them. That's cheaper than Eddie Rockets and they've been doing OK business for 30 years now

Yep and people still think Eddies are expensive....

So lets make the burgers simpler, slap a red and white wrapper on them Hark back to peoples J1 days and add a tenner on to the price bingo! Profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    They also banned Irish meat for a long time, more a political thing between the US and the EU than actually caring about health.

Was that not over mad cow?!

listermint wrote: »
    Yep and people still think Eddies are expensive....

So lets make the burgers simpler, slap a red and white wrapper on them Hark back to peoples J1 days and add a tenner on to the price bingo! Profit.

They're not simpler. You can make it as complicated as you want.

My point is that you think it's a new thing about burger prices. It's not. Some may complain about Eddie Rockets but more spend their money there (hence their success)

They're not simpler. You can make it as complicated as you want.

My point is that you think it's a new thing about burger prices. It's not. Some may complain about Eddie Rockets but more spend their money there (hence their success)

Their success is social media its also gone on near histeric levels. It's a burger place. It's amazing what social media can do for your business if implemented correctly between pop up shops and claiming to do something that no one else has done before you. It works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Thise machines will be coming soon...

...and made in Mayo!

Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Its a burger and fries, the burgers are made from beef meat like most normal restaurants have been making for decades but sure Social Media wasnt around then to promote that stuff.

Is it robbery ? yes

So you think a burger is a burger regardless of whether it comes frozen from some factory in Eastern Europe with the worst cuts or with prime Irish beef? I know some people wouldn't care and a meal is a meal, as long as the portion is massive and food is cheap. But the fact McDonalds is having issues with sells in the US versus five guys, In-n-Out etc shows a lot of people care about the quality of their food

Its like around €7.50 for a mass produced meal in McDonalds. Is that value? IMO not really. But is Bunsen with the fact it is a restaurant and food is excellent quality, value? IMO yes

Some people care about the quality of their food and will pay a premium for it. Hence the reason why Supermacs isnt super popular in Dublin, as Dubliners are more concerned with quality rather than quantity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Ate in Five Guys the other day. Was OK but overpriced and over-hyped I think. Would not go back.
    newacc2015 wrote: »
    Its like around €7.50 for a mass produced meal in McDonalds. Is that value? IMO not really. But is Bunsen with the fact it is a restaurant and food is excellent quality, value? IMO yes

Some people care about the quality of their food and will pay a premium for it. Hence the reason why Supermacs isnt super popular in Dublin, as Dubliners are more concerned with quality rather than quantity

I think Supermacs is better overall than McDonalds, as far as fast food goes. McD's chips are horrible, skinny artificial things. Staff are generally friendlier in Supermacs. More like genuine Irish food in Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

40 Minute queues at 6pm on Saturday. Seemed a bit nuts for a burger. Every other restaurant in Dundrum was stuffed with people deciding to go for something else after seeing the five guys queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

40 minutes is pretty standard for Bunsen, but then again they take your number so you can go off and have a drink, are five guys doing that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lux23 wrote: »
    40 minutes is pretty standard for Bunsen, but then again they take your number so you can go off and have a drink, are five guys doing that?

Bunsen and Five Guys are completely different in that regard.

Bunsen is a sit down restaurant.

Five Guys is a order & collect fast food joint.

I was very impressed how quickly they handled the initial surge when we were there last week.

The queue was to the door and we'd ordered in < 10 minutes and had our food in 7-8 after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭radharc

But the fact McDonalds is having issues with sells in the US versus five guys, In-n-Out etc shows a lot of people care about the quality of their food

Eh McDonald's had US sales of $48 billion last year, Five Guys and In n Out both have less than $1 billion. The McDonald's growth rate is smaller but that is to be expected when they are 50 times bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Is it robbery ? yes

So you think a burger is a burger regardless of whether it comes frozen from some factory in Eastern Europe with the worst cuts or with prime Irish beef? I know some people wouldn't care and a meal is a meal, as long as the portion is massive and food is cheap. But the fact McDonalds is having issues with sells in the US versus five guys, In-n-Out etc shows a lot of people care about the quality of their food

Its like around 7.50 for a mass produced meal in McDonalds. Is that value? IMO not really. But is Bunsen with the fact it is a restaurant and food is excellent quality, value? IMO yes

It's the meat good quality in 5 guys, I can't find any information on the origin of the beef?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

GingerLily wrote: »
    It's the meat good quality in 5 guys, I can't find any information on the origin of the beef?

Would be interested to know the origin of their beef too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Apparently, they use Irish beef in their British operations, so I'd be surprised if they weren't using Irish beef here.

You could ask them on Twitter.

I've always enjoyed their burgers anytime I've had them in the US. They would be my preferred choice for a burger. Looking forward to trying them out here soon

I read that too, but there doesn't seem to be any offical source - they may not be using only irish beef etc.
    I don't have a twitter, I may need to get one to ask!

If it's not 100% irish beef I think I'll stick with Bunsen or Eddies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

GingerLily wrote: »
    I read that too, but there doesn't seem to be any offical source - they may not be using only irish beef etc.
    I don't have a twitter, I may need to get one to ask!

If it's not 100% irish beef I think I'll stick with Bunsen or Eddies!

Pretty sure there's a sign instore saying 100% irish beef. Could be wrong tho.

• Advertisement

I went in and sat down and looked everywhere and couldn't see it, if it's there it's not in an obvious place.

It took 25 minutes between ordering and getting food so I had a long time to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I asked on Twitter and they confirmed to me that they use Irish beef.

Five Guys make a big deal of having no freezers on site, and using only fresh produce. I really would have been surprised if they were not using Irish beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Felipe Broad Mosquito

dudara wrote: »
    I asked on Twitter and they confirmed to me that they use Irish beef.

Five Guys make a big deal of having no freezers on site, and using only fresh produce. I really would have been surprised if they were not using Irish beef.

I get a bit bemused by this. Supermacs in particular have been advertising heavily with the never frozen thing, but is their chicken free range? I'd rather a defrosted free range chicken then a fresh battery farmed one for any number of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I get a bit bemused by this. Supermacs in particular have been advertising heavily with the never frozen thing, but is their chicken free range? I'd rather a defrosted free range chicken then a fresh battery farmed one for any number of reasons.

I doubt it.
    Costs would be far too high.
    Only in finer restaurants have I ever seen 'free range / corn fed' line.
    For a couple of quid, you're lucky it's Irish!

Sorry just seen this ridiculous nonsense right now.

Explain to my in full detail where i said a frozen burger is the same ?

And what restaurants that are non fast food are using frozen burgers.

You just went on a rant about frozen burgers despite me not saying a word about them.

Five Guys are doing nothing different than any decent burger place has been doing in 2 decades here. They are not 'new' or 'fresh' they are heavily driven by social media.

Theyre prices are heavy because the social media demand has driven that, oh also coupled with what i can imagine is huge rent in dundrum.

Anyway i never said frozen burgers you are wrong.

Also they arent new nor fresh or doing something uniquely cool.

'Hype'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I ate there last night. There was a 40 minute queue but I didnt mind as I was kinda expecing the best burger of my life the way people were going on

I got the bacon cheeseburger all the way and chips.

It was grand. The chips were chips, nothing special.

The burger, while nice, certaintly wasnt worth queueing for 40 minutes. I dont get the hype. Ive had nicer burgers elswhere.

Would I go again? Yes, if I was passing by and there was no queue.

Theyre prices are heavy because the social media demand has driven that, oh also coupled with what i can imagine is huge rent in dundrum.

Social media is not the reason for people paying more than you would for a burger. As I (and others) have said already, Eddie Rockets have been charging similar prices for years and years.

The 5 guys prices in Dundrum are cheaper than those in the UK. The'll likely be the same in their other locations too. It has nothing to do with Dundrum rent

Would I go again? Yes, if I was passing by and there was no queue.

I wouldn't queue anywhere for 40 minutes. Even if it was free.

(I was no more than 10 minutes queuing last Thursday evening FWIW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

I was also less than 10 mins on Friday evening. They're very quick

Social media is not the reason for people paying more than you would for a burger. As I (and others) have said already, Eddie Rockets have been charging similar prices for years and years.

The 5 guys prices in Dundrum are cheaper than those in the UK. The'll likely be the same in their other locations too. It has nothing to do with Dundrum rent

Five Guys is more expensive, i know because i compared both with similar offerings.

- Five guys is cheaper than the UK .. So what who cares ? is this the UK ? it should be cheaper the meat comes from down the road.

Social media has driven a hysteria around Five Guys for the last 2 years with teasers and 'pop' up shops for a burger...

So yes it has driven it, its hype nothing more nothing less.

• Advertisement

It's marketing. Same as every single company in the world.

Advertisement