Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys (burgers) dublin locations?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Visited Five Guys in Dundrum this afternoon when out in the area with work. Busy enough, but no problem getting a seat. I wasn't that impressed. The burger was grand in that messy burger style, the chips ok and plentiful. Way too expensive for what it is. I understand there are very high costs with renting a unit in such a place, but there's a real air of gouging going on.

Would definitely prefer the burger in Bunsen. That said, I'm slightly sceptical about the whole fetishisation of burgers that is going on. The 5oz burger that is cooked to order in Supermacs isn't that much different to what is being offered in these places. It's greasy fast food at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

but there's a real air of gouging going on.
    It's really not gouging when they are charging prices that people are willing to pay. Blame people for paying the ridiculous prices. Including yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's really not gouging when they are charging prices that people are willing to pay.
    +1, if this was the airport and once you went through security the only food you could buy was five guys then it would be gouging.

There are plenty of other places to go in dundrum.

I'm surprised BK or mcdonalds have not cashed in and done "super premium" burgers or something, maybe it would be seen as admitting their regular ones are run of the mill. Its not like these other places have some secret skill that nobody else can come close to replicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's really not gouging when they are charging prices that people are willing to pay. Blame people for paying the ridiculous prices. Including yourself.
    There's a difference when you go somewhere to try it out and realise it was completely overpriced. You're "willing to pay", but you don't really have much option if you're trying it out for the first time. You learn your lesson and don't go back. Now, if Rumpy Pumpy went back knowing what it was like for the price it would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

any movement on a city centre store opening? Its been a long time since the unit on Stephens Green fell through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's a difference when you go somewhere to try it out and realise it was completely overpriced. You're "willing to pay", but you don't really have much option if you're trying it out for the first time. You learn your lesson and don't go back. Now, if Rumpy Pumpy went back knowing what it was like for the price it would be different.
    1. They have things called menus I imagine.

2. Most people are returning. Otherwise the business would not survive.

1. They have things called menus I imagine.

2. Most people are returning. Otherwise the business would not survive.

Well, if you're going to be smart:
    1. A menu is words. You cannot taste words.
    2. It opened 2 months ago. How do you know people are returning? It's not exactly getting great reviews on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Visited Five Guys in Dundrum this afternoon when out in the area with work. Busy enough, but no problem getting a seat. I wasn't that impressed. The burger was grand in that messy burger style, the chips ok and plentiful. Way too expensive for what it is. I understand there are very high costs with renting a unit in such a place, but there's a real air of gouging going on.

Would definitely prefer the burger in Bunsen. That said, I'm slightly sceptical about the whole fetishisation of burgers that is going on. The 5oz burger that is cooked to order in Supermacs isn't that much different to what is being offered in these places. It's greasy fast food at the end of the day.

Supermacs 5oz burger is as a good a burger as you'll get anywhere imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭danny004

Well I like 5 guys when in the USA but last year when travelling home (I'm lucky my company fly business class) from Washington to Dublin I had the misfortune of three of the five guys brothers sitting around me in the plane.i m no prude and like a laugh but these guys were really drunk. The one sitting next to me was rabbiting on about opening the store with Dermot Desmond's son in Belfast and how his brother couldn't wait to meet the ira. Then he spilt wine all over me and one of his brothers said give him 5 dollars to shut me up. They were quite rude for 3 idiots whose father I understand had started the business so not exactly self made gentleman ,assholes I dare say lol but I do like their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.rsvplive.ie/life/food/five-guys-opening-dublin-city-12249743

Resurrecting old thread but Five Guys opening in former Dunnes Stores homeware shop on South Great Georges Street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/life/food/five-guys-opening-dublin-city-12249743

Resurrecting old thread but Five Guys opening in former Dunnes Stores homeware shop on South Great Georges Street!

Thanks for the headsup. Would be more excited except I finally got round to visiting the one in Dundrum before Christmas and, well, I'd probably prefer Eddie Rockets if push came to shove...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Will definitely give it a try now - Dundrum was a bit of a trek :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why is this place such a big deal? Its grand like, just seems very overrated!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Does 5 Guys do take out?

Good to see movement business wise on George's St all the same. Just having a Boojum now for lunch (bland crap tbh) which just opened last week.
    The old Opus music shop is becoming a new bar (O'Reagan's of Hogan's is doing it up and I like what he does) and the work in the old Camera Exchange is underway to become a Chinese restaurant.
    Hopefully the Walton's space won't be vacant too long.

humberklog wrote: »
    Does 5 Guys do take out?

Good to see movement business wise on George's St all the same. Just having a Boojum now for lunch (bland crap tbh) which just opened last week.
    The old Opus music shop is becoming a new bar (O'Reagan's of Hogan's is doing it up and I like what he does) and the work in the old Camera Exchange is underway to become a Chinese restaurant.

Caffe Nero opening on corner of George and Fade Street too and a hotel is planned for that long ugly Outlet centre with the dirty roller shutters up from Hogan's. That has been such a dreadful eyesore in such a bustling location.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know. I never heard of them until social media went bananas when they announced they were opening in Dundrum. I was in New York last summer and decided to try it then for the first time to see what all the fuss was. Nice burgers but as someone else said above, Eddie Rockets and countless other burger joints do nicer burgers.

I similarly scratch my head at the facination of practically everyone between the ages of 18 and 25 obsessing with Boojum! Sure, they do nice burritos but so do most other burrito joints and they're certainly not worth queuing three quarters of your lunch break for!!

I was served quick in Bojoom but it was an early lunch. I don't get the whole Mexico food thing. Sounds lovely, all that stuff in a roll/taco/ but whenever I get it all the good stuff meshes into banal mush (and I've tried them all afaik and they're all much of a muchness).

I'll miss the kebab shop that was there. Unfortunately they just weren't able to get the European crowd in.

5 Guys? I've never been. I like Rick's or Little Mac's in the arcade. Whenever I'm eating from them it's only a lunch break and fit what I want from a burger well. But I've a small business in the area and happy with any Biggies that move that bring people over this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That dunnes is massive for a retaurant/takeaway spot.
    Five guys is fine, nothing amazing but not terrible either. Theres definitely a few euros on top for reputation though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭LoMismo

What about that horrible outlet store opposite the long hall that has been vacant for what seems like years and years? Surely that's prime footfall area? Or is it? I guess if it was they wouldn't have a problem filling these spaces.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

retalivity wrote: »
    That dunnes is massive for a retaurant/takeaway spot.
    Five guys is fine, nothing amazing but not terrible either. Theres definitely a few euros on top for reputation though
    Originally they said two food outlets would be going in there and Neon was the first named. I hope that's still going ahead, I'd much prefer Neon over Five Guys, though I'll try out both :D
    LoMismo wrote: »
    What about that horrible outlet store opposite the long hall that has been vacant for what seems like years and years? Surely that's prime footfall area? Or is it? I guess if it was they wouldn't have a problem filling these spaces.
    Mentioned above, planning permission is in for a 100 bedroom hotel in that building at the moment.

• Advertisement

I had the chips in 5 guys in Vermont back in October (I'm ever so jet-set) and they were really good. I work close to George's St so I'll have to try the burgers when they arrive. Every time I try to go to Bunsen on South Anne st it's full and I can't be arsed waiting so I haven't tried them yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wakka12 wrote: »
    from what I read online and from people who went there it is not rated very highly. -esp. when taking the price into account.
    Does 5 Guys do take out?
    I guess so, seeing as they do delivery now in dundrum.

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-fiveguys-dundrum/menu

ongarboy wrote: »
    I similarly scratch my head at the facination of practically everyone between the ages of 18 and 25 obsessing with Boojum! Sure, they do did nice burritos but so do most other burrito joints and they're certainly not worth queuing three quarters of your lunch break for!!

FYP
    Boojum is fairly shíte, it's gone downhill fast in the last year. I definitely wouldn't recommend them to anyone now and I was a fan before.

Cienciano wrote: »
    FYP
    Boojum is fairly shíte, it's gone downhill fast in the last year. I definitely wouldn't recommend them to anyone now and I was a fan before.

I don't know, burritos are this decades breakfast roll I think. They all taste the exact same to me, not that that's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

LoMismo wrote: »
    I don't know, burritos are this decades breakfast roll I think. They all taste the exact same to me, not that that's a bad thing.

I thought that until I went to sabburito and had a ****e burrito!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Been eating in The Chilli Shack quite a bit lately. Amazing burgers. Fresh and well prepared. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Passenger wrote: »
    Been eating in The Chilli Shack quite a bit lately. Amazing burgers. Fresh and well prepared. Highly recommended.

+1 Im a fan. Wonder will they open a more central location than Stoneybatter?

Popped into the new George's St one today. Only got a burger- Bacon double cheese burger. 10quid. Nice enough burger but it's not 10quid worth of burger.
    It's a good big shop and it was very busy for 12.30. it's an unnecessarily noisy experience. There's a huge crew on the line and they're all shouting at each other "burger! Go!Go!, 64!, Bacon! BAG IT! 65! COOL! Bro! Enjoy!! 66!". Thankfully I was taking mine back to work otherwise I'd have had to sit on the kerb outside as I can't be doing with shouters shouting when eating.

They've big bins of free monkey nuts. I found this handy last night as I grabbed a handful to eat in the pub. I wasn't buying anything at that time and no one seemed to mind me helping myself.

I'd try it again but I wouldn't be excited about returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Does 5 Guys do take out?

Wash your mouth out :eek:

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    Wash your mouth out :eek:

Boojum has gone to shíte imho, I wouldn't bother with it anymore

Advertisement