Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use mobile broadband to create local network with no interest access?

Options
  • 11-06-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Everybody's nightmare - a week in a self catering holiday home with the family in an area which apparently has no decent phone or internet coverage.

I was thinking of getting a wifi pay as you go broadband device from someone like Three and hoping that there is coverage, but if not, I was thinking of loading my phone with movies etc and streaming to Chromecast.

If there is no suitable broadband coverage in an area, can you still use one of those wifi hotspot devices to create a local network to allow this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

you'd need a mifi device, but most of them are limited to 5 devices, bring a normal wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

5 device limit shouldn't be a problem as I'd only be connecting 2 or max 3 devices, and I don't have a spare normal wifi router to bring.

Will this do the job? http://www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx?src=p&p=data&pid=2254&tariffType=prepay

also, if you use the above to only create a local network for your own devices to communicate to each other, do you still need to pay / top up to have an active broadband plan, even if you're not actually using the broadband connection?

Advertisement