Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and Maintanence Fees but not grant

Options
  • 11-06-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all would like this cleared up if anyone can help me at all.

I am hoping to get back to education in September when I start my degree and I also want my fees paid for as I believe you can get both?

My question is how do I apply for maintanence fees without applying for a grant?

I seen on the back to education allowance form they ask if you have applied for grant. If I give my details to susi do they automatically put me down that I applied for grant and fees? I don't want to get refused fees because of some mistake on their side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

stephen.87 wrote: »
    Hi all would like this cleared up if anyone can help me at all.

I am hoping to get back to education in September when I start my degree and I also want my fees paid for as I believe you can get both?

My question is how do I apply for maintanence fees without applying for a grant?

I seen on the back to education allowance form they ask if you have applied for grant. If I give my details to susi do they automatically put me down that I applied for grant and fees? I don't want to get refused fees because of some mistake on their side.

You declare to Social Welfare that you have applied for a Grant and you declare to SUSI that you have applied for BTEA.

This way, if you are eligible for BTEA you will get it and if you are eligible for the fees part of the grant from SUSI you will get it.

If you are not eligible for BTEA, you can inform SUSI of this as a change to circumstances and they will review your application to allow your application to be assessed for the maintenance part of the grant as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

If you have never been to college before and if you have Irish or EU nationality and if you have lived in Ireland or the EU for 3 out of the 5 years your tuition fees may be automatically covered through the Free Fee Initiative. You are usually asked about the above at registration and if you meet those criteria the college get your tuition fees from the DES.

To get your Student contribution of €3,000 paid you have to go through the SUSI grant application process. Its the same application process as the Maintenance grant, you are assessed for both student contribution and the maintenance grant but if you indicate on the form that you are getting BTEA they will suspend the maintenance portion of the grant and just pay the contribution.

Advertisement