Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being screwed over by my landlord?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'd pay up, WychWillow.
    Otherwise start looking for an Ark on DAFT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Had you paid a pet deposit previously?
    Its just a bit curious- the 4,300 is almost exactly the deposit that Irishlandlord.ie suggest for your menagerie of animals.

If you have already paid a deposit for the pets- I'd dispute the damage- and tell him to take it from the deposit (and he can chase you for the balance if he so wants to).

If you haven't-

you have a few options-

1. PRTB for invalid notice of termination of tenancy
    2. Argue over the bill
    3. Pay up and bear the cost philosophically
    4. Leave

If you pursue 1. you'll probably find you're issued with valid termination of tenancy- its just a matter of your landlord getting his ducks lined up.

2. If you've already paid a pet deposit- the cost of damage comes from that in the first instance- and then from your deposit secondly- finally- he has to chase you for the balance.

3. If you want to stay long term- you will have to pay up- as the landlord can simply bide his time until the rolling 4 year period is up- and then legitimately evict you without giving a reason.

4. Leave- it'll make the landlord happy- well, it won't- but he'll have his house back- even if its vacant with no tenants. He doesn't seem to care.

Re the 4 solicitors you say you've consulted- Threshold are not qualified, as an organisation, to even suggest that you are being blackmailed- though they do seem to have form in playing fast with what they're supposed to be advising. FLAC- it depends on who you're talking to. The other 2- God only knows.......

You seem to want a fight- and to be pigheaded insistent that there was nothing wrong with bringing a couple of huskies into the house- sure you had 2 cats and a whippet already........ I really don't know what else any of us can say here.

PM me, with a good reason, if you'd like the thread reopened.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement