Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and Advice

• 11-06-2015 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I need some help please.
    I have a 1 year and 7 month old collie x
    We were away on holiday last week and on Friday night he was hit by a car
    My MIL was supposed to be taking care of him.

She didn't bring him to the vet when it happened because "she thought he wouldn't make it". And only brought him Saturday morning when she got up and he was still alive. I am absolutely livid over this (only found this out today after calling the vet she took him to and it was on his record) and if you can advise me on the best way to bring this up with her without causing too much of a fall out. We were not home until Tuesday, and she did not ring me to tell me what had happened. I did not know he was hurt until I arrived home Tuesday night.

She was very vague on what the vet said to her, told me he was on anti inflammatory pills and anti biotics, that he didn't need an X-ray, that he was to rest, not get excited.

I called the vet today because he's at the end of his medication and I am not happy that he's still in so much pain, and I wanted to know what was wrong and his proper diagnosis.

They're agreeing he should be showing signs of improvement but as it stands he is not even walking, he is howling and crying and distressed. He has a deep cut on his leg also.

I am going to see the vet tonight with him but I am nervous that he's going to be put to sleep.
    He is eating well, and drinking, and taking his treats and his pills without a fuss. He is eager to get up (although he can't) when the other dog has his squeaky ball. He is excited to see me in the mornings and after work which is an improvement on Tuesday evening and he wants to cuddle but again is not able to even make an effort like he usually would.

I am HORRIBLE in these situations. I don't know what to say, what to ask, what to expect. Please advise, and any suggestions on making him comfortable or helping speed up healing, natural pain relief etc please do share.

I just feel sick at the thoughts of him being frightened when I wasn't there, him being in pain severe pain all night without anyone to mind him and I feel like the worst dog owner in the world right now so I don't need lectures on what has happened or for leaving him, I feel bad enough already.
    Do you think they would suggest putting him to sleep tonight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I'm so very sorry for you OP. What a terrible situation. First of all the vet would need your permission to put your dog to sleep. You can't really weigh anything up until you know what precisely what the problem is. Hopefully they will be able to tell you. I would imagine that they would suggest x-rays. If you feel that you are not getting clear answers I'd suggest going to another vet ASAP. As to your MIL..... deep breath and not in anger I guess!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I am so sorry about what happened to your dog.

Whatever happens, your dog will never be put to sleep without your consent and should a vet tell me to put my dog to sleep after an accident, I would certainly not do so without first asking for a second opinion from another vet with a good reputation. I am sorry I can't give you any medical advice :( .

As for your mother-in-law, it is more than understandable that you should feel angry, but if my dog had been hurt I would feel angry at the whole world, not only at the person who is or might be responsible for his pain. So I do believe that you should try to forget about your mother-in-law for the moment and only deal with what you can do for your dog.

I don't think anyone will be feeling like lecturing you about leaving your dog for a week either. As long as bringing dogs in planes/bus/trains/restaurants/hotels/b&b,holiday homes ... is so complicated, we all have to deal with living our dogs behind sometimes and no matter how good the place/person we chose to care for him, we always feel guilty.

I really hope that your dog will very soon be OK but until then, give him plenty of love and bring him to the best vet in your area. You will always have time to deal with the rest later.

Good luck! I really hope you will get some good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats so dreadful for you, I agree with the other posts to just concentrate on getting your dog well for the moment, leave dealing with anything else until later, and do seek out another vet if you feel youre not happy with the present one. You need some answers. I so hope all will be ok for your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

Aww so sorry your fur baby is in pain. See what vet says. Might need more meds. Hopefully everything will be okay and if need be as someone said previously get a second opinion. Don't blame yourself for being away... As for mother in law... Not everyone understands the love we have for our furries and that they are family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

You need to get your dog back to the vet or preferably a second opinion.no dog should have been sent home unable to stand without xrays etc.however be aware it may be that you mil was only asking for basic treatment as she is not the owner and was not willing to pay a large bill ...but its still wrong to leave an animal in that level of discomfort so you need to find out the details of what has happened.
    talk to the vet and find out what has gone on their side of things.

Also Imo your dogs should never again be left with a person who leaves dogs they were supposed to be caring for overnight to suffer instead of ringing a vet.horrified at that :( the least she could have done was dog pain relief or to be pts if he was that badly injuried.all vets have a 24 hour service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Aru wrote: »
    You need to get your dog back to the vet or preferably a second opinion.no dog should have been sent home unable to stand without xrays etc.however be aware it may be that you mil was only asking for basic treatment as she is not the owner and was not willing to pay a large bill ...but its still wrong to leave an animal in that level of discomfort so you need to find out the details of what has happened.
    talk to the vet and find out what has gone on their side of things.

Also Imo your dogs should never again be left with a person who leaves dogs they were supposed to be caring for overnight to suffer instead of ringing a vet.horrified at that :( the least she could have done was dog pain relief or to be pts if he was that badly injuried.all vets have a 24 hour service.

Also this is not your fault op!im just horrified at your mil.

From the sounds of things strict rest etc it aounds as if your dog may have a suspect broken pelvis..is it a back leg thats damaged?

If it is the pelvis there is a good chance of recovery with strict rest if the nerves are not affected. But he should be reseen at this point if he is not able to get up and xrays may be needed to judge the extent of the damage.

is he peeing and pooing normally?

Advertisement