Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Latin - June 12th***

• 11-06-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I dunno if many are doing Ordianry level Latin here... but I decided to have a crack at it this year, and have done an analysis of the subject that might be helpful to anyone who is sitting it 2moro, so I may as well share it here...

Firstly, I've made a video that lists some of the chief topics I expect might be asked as part of Q5 on Roman history & culture:-

Secondly, here is a list (by author) of all the passages that have been examined (in Q2) since 1996:-

THE PASSAGES FOR LATIN TRANSLATION (Q2) (by author)

2014. Virgil:- “Neptune calms a storm (riot)”
    2013. Virgil:- “At dawn, the Trojans get their first glimpse of Italy.”
    2012. Virgil:- “Anchises prays for a fair wind for the ships; his prayers are answered”
    2011. Virgil:- “In the Underworld, Aeneas sees many souls fluttering like bees.”
    2010. Virgil:- “The Trojan Penates appear in a vision to Aeneas”
    2009. Virgil:- “Aeneas arranges for some of the Trojan women to remain in Sicily”
    2008. Virgil:- “The Trojans are caught in a storm at sea”
    2007. Virgil:- “Aeneas followers & reminds them of the burial of his father”
    2006. Virgil:- “Aeneas sails from Troy as Anchises asked. Names land after self.”
    2005. Virgil:- “At night, Trojans land near Italy; Palinurus checks winds & air.”
    2004. Virgil:- “Aeneas and Pallas go forth to war.”
    2003. Virgil:- “The heavens proclaim Venus is coming to the down-cast Trojans.”
    2002. Virgil:- “Palinurus gives the signal; the first sight of Italy.”
    2001. Virgil:- “Aeneas arranges last honours for Pallas; covers body with robes.”
    2000. Virgil:- “Fight between two bulls is like the fight between Aeneas & Tumus.”
    1999. Virgil:- “Dido awakens at dawn to find Aeneas & his men have left.”
    1998. Virgil:- “Aeneas threatening destruction. Queen is dead. Saces & Turnus.”
    1997. Virgil:- “Aeneas in thunder & lightning. Knows it’s sign from Venus.”
    1996. Virgil:- “Aeneas leads army to camp. Terrorises Ausonians.”

2014. Ovid:- “Io turned into a young cow. Returns to father, Inarchus & sisters.”
    2013. Ovid:- “Returning home with wealth, Arion is attacked by crew of his ship.”
    2012. Ovid:- “The greatness of Rome is foretold: it will be greater than all”
    2011. Ovid:- “Ovid describes his house the night b4 he was banished from Rome.”
    2010. Ovid:- “The Greek leaders returning from Troy, are welcomed by their wives”
    2009. Ovid:- “Paris is encouraged by his parents & Cassandra, not to go to Greece”
    2008. Ovid:- “Returning from the underworld with his wife, Orpheus looks back.”
    2007. Ovid:- “Ovid describes how Ceres enters a house & brings a boy back to life.”
    2006. Ovid:- “Thisbe, going out to meet Pyramus at night, sees and runs from a lion”
    2005. Ovid:- “Jason has left Queen Hypsipyle. She speaks to him as he sails away.”
    2004. Ovid:- “Ovid tells of his last night in Rome and his preparations for exile.”
    2003. Ovid:- “Celebrate festival of Anna Perenna by Tiber; & make sun shades.”
    2002. Ovid:- “By flight of birds, Romulus & Remus decide who’s the founder.”
    2001. Ovid:- “Ariadne frantically searches the empty beach for Theseus.”
    2000. Ovid:- “Great danger at sea.”
    1999. Ovid:- “The Fabii attack the enemy openly, but there’s a trap.”
    1998. Ovid:- “The Fabii attack the enemy openly, but there’s a trap.”
    1997. Ovid:- “King prepares ships, and say goodbye to wife, Alcyone.”
    1996. Ovid:- “Io turned into a young cow. Returns to father, Inarchus & sisters.”

2014. Caesar:- “Caesar’s troops construct a siege tower. Gauls laugh …at first.”
    2013. Caesar:- “Curio besiege Utica, but hears Juba & his troops have arrived.”
    2012. Caesar:- “Caesar befriends and rewards two brothers from the Allobroges.”
    2011. Caesar:- “After his victory, Caesar makes preparations for the winter.”
    2010. Caesar:- “Caesar helps a Rhodian ship which then helps defeat the enemy.”
    2009. Caesar:- “Caesar & Afranius outmanoeuvre each other in the mountains.”
    2007. Caesar:- “Caesar entices the enemy to attack.”
    2006. Caesar:- “Unsuccessful attack on the Roman camp by the Kentish kings.”
    2005. Caesar:- “In the civil war Afranius tries to stop forces coming to Caesar’s aid.”
    2004. Caesar:- “The citizens of Massilia prepare to meet the Roman attack.”
    2003. Caesar:- “Crastinus leads his soldiers into battle.”
    2002. Caesar:- “Caesar describes three types of horned animal found in Germania.”
    2001. Caesar:- “Search for food causes war; Caesar’s army fights powerful Veneti.”
    2000. Caesar:- “Gauls & Ariovistus escape; the family of Ariovistus is not so lucky.”
    1999. Caesar:- “Sabinus murdered, then Cotta killed in an attack.”
    1998. Caesar:- “Pompey looks to the Egyptian King, Ptolemaeus, for protection.”
    1997. Caesar:- “People of Carteia disagree on Pompey. Pompey flees, is pursued.”
    1996. Caesar:- “Enemy are near. Curio retreats & awaits reinforcements.”

2014. Livy:- “The consul, Aemilius, defeats the enemy, the Etruscans.”
    2013. Livy:- “Manilus accepts challenge of gigantic Gaul to single combat.”
    2012. Livy:- “At his trial, Scipio reminds of Battle of Zama: leads people to Capitol.”
    2010. Livy:- “T. Manlius accepts the challenge of a gigantic Gaul to single combat.”
    2009. Livy:- “Upon defeating Alba, Tullus brings Albans into ranks of the Romans.”
    2008. Livy:- “Scipio offers to return a beautiful young woman to her fiancé.”
    2006. Livy:- “On the death of father, Hannibal is called to the army by Hasdrubal.”
    2005. Livy:- “The Carthaginians confused; but the nearness of their camp helps.”
    2004. Livy:- “Hannibal receives an offer of assistance from the youths of Tarentum.”
    2002. Livy:- “Hannibal is wounded while attacking Saguntum.”
    2001. Livy:- “The priest tells Decius how to pray for a Roman victory.”
    2000. Livy:- “Mucius Scaevola is captured after failing to kill King Porsinna.”
    1998. Livy:- “Sertorius guves new arms & clothes to men after capture of Contrebia.”
    1997. Livy:- “Defeat of Hannibal. Disaster at Herdonea.”

2011. Cicero:- “Cicero reveals his knowledge of Catiline’s plans for his murder.”
    2008. Cicero:- “Milo and Clodius meet on the road, each differently prepared.”
    2007. Cicero:- “Cicero writes of the Sicilian city Segesta & a stolen work of art.”
    2003. Cicero:- “Cicero asks praetors to attack Allobroges at the Mulvian Bridge.”
    1999. Cicero:- “Cicero tells jusy why Sicilians want him to defend against Verres.”
    1996. Cicero:- “Cicero, governor of Cilicia. Fears war with the Parthians.”

Thirdly, I expect that Genitive Plural is the most likely case for the verb question in the grammar section (i.e. Q4i)

And finally... here are a list of the sections of the prescribed text (Virgil's Aeneid Book 1 lines 1-519) that have been asked since 1996:-

1996... v437-449
    1999...v124-136
    2003... v208-219
    2007... v402-412
    2011... v223-233

So from that, I'm hoping for something from 1-100, or possibly 250-400.

Also, I heard that Latin used to be acceptable as a substitute for Maths regarding matriculation purposes... Is that still the case?

Anyway... good lucik to everyone doing Latin 2moro! :) I hope this is of some use to someone! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lamph wrote: »

Also, I heard that Latin used to be acceptable as a substitute for Maths regarding matriculation purposes... Is that still the case?
    Not that I ever heard of; you might be gone back into mediaeval days there! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Not that I ever heard of; you might be gone back into mediaeval days there! :pac:

Yes, to the medival Collegium Sanctae et Individuae Trinitatis Reginae Elizabethae Juxta Dublin :P

Not sure if anyone has got in through the Latin route but they still print it in the prospectus every year! I'm sure they're the only college that lets you matriculate using Latin.

Nim wrote: »
    Yes, to the medival Collegium Sanctae et Individuae Trinitatis Reginae Elizabethae Juxta Dublin :P

Not sure if anyone has got in through the Latin route but they still print it in the prospectus every year! I'm sure they're the only college that lets you matriculate using Latin.
    Really?! Still??!

Ah, bless them for hanging on to a few (daft) old traditions! :D

Really?! Still??!

It'll be interesting to know if anyone has gone through with no maths in recent years though.

But it's just Trinity, so keep up your Hail Marys Ave Marias for maths, people :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Really?! Still??!

As daft as offering bonus marks for answering exams such as Chemistry or Biology in Irish? :p

• Advertisement

Lol, I take your point, but the scheme for answering trí Gaeilge was set up as one of number of measures to encourage use of what is, after all, still constitutionally the first language of the state, and (whether one agrees with it or not) it does still have some relevance.

That Trinity one literally harks back to medieval times when knowledge of maths wasn't that important, but a good knowledge of Latin was pretty essential. While I'd be the first to say that a knowledge of Latin can be somewhat useful if going on to study other languages, history, even English and linguistics in fact, could one by any stretch of the imagination describe it as essential, or as relevant as maths?

That said, I kinda like to see the occasional old / odd tradition survive, and Trinity is great for that. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doing Latin in the JC is on my bucket list. I have to do it before I go to visit Pompeii/Herculaneum.

spurious wrote: »
    Doing Latin in the JC is on my bucket list. I have to do it before I go to visit Pompeii/Herculaneum.
    Do eeet!!! :)

I never learned it formally, but I've picked up bits over the years, and I love deciphering old plaques and stuff when I'm wandering through old cities and towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Yeah I'm not sure there are many mathematicians going around publishing or debating in Latin :D

It's a subject I've always been scared of due to the many tales of woe from grandparents and parents; would be interesting to try and learn a little.

I've always wanted to learn it. I tried learning it online and gave up :o I might try it again this summer.

• Advertisement

ronivek wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not sure there are many mathematicians going around publishing or debating in Latin :D
    They used to, you know; virtually all academic discourse was conducted in Latin at one time.

Anyway, not sure this is much help to those facing into their Latin exam! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zagaluke

Good luck! I did it last year and it was definitely my favourite subject, really rewarding

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dingle123

Anyone else struggle big time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Latin used to be acceptable as a substitute for Maths regarding matriculation purposes...

I'm astounded by that. Just looked in the prospectus. Seems you need a pass in English, Maths and Irish/Language or Latin and another subject. Anyone who gets into Trinity satisfies the pass in another subject, so a pass in Ordinary Latin is equivalent to passes in the other three.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Dingle123 wrote: »
    Anyone else struggle big time?

I was a little jealous of the (H) paper. It looked nicer than (O).

The paper at ordinary level was ok. Though I would have liked a "life and works" question on Horace rather than just his works :/ and I'd have liked if the Circus Maximus, year of the 4 emperors, and Tiberius had made an appearance. Delighted with Caligula and Trajan's column.

I was pleased with the passage we got from the Aeneid, though the questions were a little irritating The (H) ones were better.

All I want is a 'D' so I was always gonna be happy with the paper I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dingle123

Lamph wrote: »
    I was a little jealous of the (H) paper. It looked nicer than (O).

The paper at ordinary level was ok. Though I would have liked a "life and works" question on Horace rather than just his works :/ and I'd have liked if the Circus Maximus, year of the 4 emperors, and Tiberius had made an appearance. Delighted with Caligula and Trajan's column.

I was pleased with the passage we got from the Aeneid, though the questions were a little irritating The (H) ones were better.

All I want is a 'D' so I was always gonna be happy with the paper I suppose...

I felt it was the unseens and comprehension which were the problem at HL

Advertisement