Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU and GPU

Options
  • 11-06-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

im looking at buying an R9 270X gpu and a amd 8350. what site is the cheapest to buy from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Can pick up either of these second hand if you want. Check on adverts. Otherwise amazon or hardwareversand. I'd go with amazon though for something like this. Cheap is good, but peace of mind with returns is worth a slight extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Thanks but ill go new as I want the warranty. Used to buy second hand on parts but they failed after a few months. So I'm only buying new

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Aee you set on the 8320? Have you already bought the motherboard? I would highly recommend steering clear of AMD for gaming builds (CPU wise) if at all possible.

Amazon ia your best bet for singular components, free shipping decent prices and excellent customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Gumbi wrote: »
    Aee you set on the 8320? Have you already bought the motherboard? I would highly recommend steering clear of AMD for gaming builds (CPU wise) if at all possible.

Amazon ia your best bet for singular components, free shipping decent prices and excellent customer service.

IMO, the 8320 will be overkill for that GPU. If you want to go AMD, the FX-6300, A-10 series APU's or the lower i5 models to be better.
    Why that Gumbi? The AMD FX-6300 has been a long time classic for gaming builds on budgets, as CPU's have a minimal impact on gaming. Also, with DX12 dropping this year, CPU overheads would be improved based on cores rather than threads, so AMD will see some nice performance jumps on the FX line (assuming the game in question allows for more than 4 core API task management)
    As for site, Amazon or Scan usually offer good prices.

Gumbi wrote: »

I have the an Asus m5a97 r2.0 with an fx4170. I want to upgradethe cpu to play dying light and a few others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    IMO, the 8320 will be overkill for that GPU. If you want to go AMD, the FX-6300, A-10 series APU's or the lower i5 models to be better.
    Why that Gumbi? The AMD FX-6300 has been a long time classic for gaming builds on budgets, as CPU's have a minimal impact on gaming. Also, with DX12 dropping this year, CPU overheads would be improved based on cores rather than threads, so AMD will see some nice performance jumps on the FX line (assuming the game in question allows for more than 4 core API task management)

6300+board is roughly 130
    i3+board is roughly 160

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4160-vs-AMD-FX-6300

40% increase on single thread. Intel still outperform AMD, even on a budget.

Thanks
    my specs at the moment are
    Asus m5a97 R2.0
    FX4170
    Nivdia GT 620
    Creative xfi music with front bay
    alpine 850w
    1tb sshd
    corsair H60 with a fan
    5uv cathodes, uv led strip, neon sata with inverter
    corsair 750d with 2 fans
    Dvd drive
    Multi card reader
    windows 8.1

Are you sure it's the CPU holding you back dmcm? Looks fair powerful to me

Are you sure it's the CPU holding you back dmcm? Looks fair powerful to me
    I want to play dying light and dead island 2 when it's out. Checked the requirements and it's my cpu and gpu that's the problem and I for to mention iv 8gb ddr 10666 I think

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    Thanks
    my specs at the moment are
    Asus m5a97 R2.0
    FX4170
    Nivdia GT 620
    Creative xfi music with front bay
    alpine 850w
    1tb sshd
    corsair H60 with a fan
    5uv cathodes, uv led strip, neon sata with inverter
    corsair 750d with 2 fans
    Dvd drive
    Multi card reader
    windows 8.1

Right I am up to speed now. It's the GPU holding you back anyways, 620 is an old card.

Eoin has listed a nice few cards above, the 270X would be a huge upgrade for you, alternatively you can get a 280X for €195 from Cex, with 12 months warranty. Excellent value for a fairly good card, should tick you over for a few years.

Your PSU is way overpowered. Not sure of the draw of cold cathodes, but 550w is the very max you need, you could turn a few euro selling it and getting a lower power one

• Advertisement

Dying Light is single threaded, meaning it only runs using One CPU core. Given that the 8350 runs at 4.0ghz and your CPU runs at 4.2ghz, I'd say that you're safe enough to chance it.

Overclocking your CPU to 4.5 or 4.6 if you're able would definitely get you by IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Even if you just bought a 270X on its own you would see your framerate pretty much rise by 500-600% in games. The Fx4170 is a pretty weak CPU compared to Intel's i3 and i5's but it's still able to play all of the latest games with a decent card. Don't let your experience with that GT620 convince you that you need an all system upgrade. You'll probably be happy with just a card upgrade to be honest. You can leave the CPU upgrade until another time.

The GT620 isn't even a gaming card, it's designed for media PC's and home theatre. It was never meant to play games, whoever sold that to you as a gaming PC should be ashamed of themselves!

The Fx-6300 isn't really relevant anymore, it's a budget CPU that had it's day upon release, but is now obsolete. It's single thread performance is poor and even in games that scale well across multiple cores, it plain just trails behind even low end i3's. Also, the socket is a dead-end, S1150 will offer viable upgrade choices for several years in terms of performance scaling. It just doesn't make sense choosing AMD for gaming builds at present.

It's easy to say that CPU's have minimal impact on gaming, and often they do, but that's not much use when you're trying to play brand new releases that are CPU hungry. Even the FX-8320 bottlenecks some of the better graphics card in a lot of games now.

Techspot had a good CPU chart for GTA V, the Fx-9590 at 4.5Ghz was two frames slower than the i7-4770 at 2.5Ghz - an entire 2GHZ faster and still slower despite using almost 3x the power as well! It's a good example why the FX line just isn't a smart choice.

I don't know why you would say the 8320 is overkill but then go on to recommend the A10 - very weak processors to pair with any mid to high range dedicated card and the same price as an i3 - or then an i5 - any current model i5 is faster than the 8320 in the majority of games. :confused:

I would advise that if you really want to upgrade the CPU, drop the FX line, sell your board + 4170 and switch to an i3. Faster in many games, socket 1150 will perform strongly for years and offer cheap upgrade paths down the line, and uses far less power. But I think the FX4170 will be fine for you for now and a good enough match with a 270X.
    Your PSU is way overpowered.

It's not really though, Alpine are the worst quality power supply on the market, about on-par with EZ-Cool. That '850w' psu is worth about 15 euro second hand and I wouldn't trust it to sustain more than about 250-300w at best. It's a heap of junk.

Would you say it'd safely handle a 270x then so Terror? Measured in peak output are they?

That Alpine 850 wouldn't sustain anything remotely close to a whiff of 850w for half a second. I've seen people on forums with 750/850w Alpines that went bang drawing 350/400w load.

In this particular case I'd probably leave the 4170 and get a 270X and something like a basic but reliable vs450 power supply.

I built the pc my self a few years ago and bought the gt 620 my self as I want 1gb card and I was on a budget back then. So what psu's would you recommend

He's only making an observation OP, he's not attacking you, just to be clear.

A Corsair, Fractal or BeQuiet PSU would be good brands to look at.

thanks how much are the corsairs do you know

Decent 500w from any of those brands is about €55-60

Thanks for the advise and iv decided I'm going with an r9 280x and a amd 8350. I'll get a new psu in a few months. The one I'm looking at is Corsair CP-9020062. I'll buying off amazon as it looks good on price

Given the hefty power draw of an 8320, putting a 280x in the system will push that Alpine hard. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Advertisement

So ill need a new psu befor I can get a new cpu and gpu. This one I was looking at Corsair CP-9020062-UK RM Series RM1000 80 Plus Gold 1000W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    So ill need a new psu befor I can get a new cpu and gpu. This one I was looking at Corsair CP-9020062-UK RM Series RM1000 80 Plus Gold 1000W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply

Christ that's the other extreme. Waaaay overkill. Grab a 550 watt bronze unit from corsair or something.

BeQuiet System Power 500w is €60 on hardwareversand, id say its £45 or so on amazon

thanks but im going for the corsair 1000w psu. so i can put an other 280x in the future and more components

You'll need a new board for a second 280x I'd say :pac: You're better with a small PSU and a 970 or 290x than a pair of 280x's, those things are hot

I Googled my board and they say u can use 2 gpus. I'd like to buy an r9 290 4gb but their to expensive that's why I'm looking at buying one r9 280 and then next year get second along with a custom water cooling loop. I only want to spend less than 650 on the upgrade this year.

An R9 290 isn't that much more expensive than an R9 280X, and the savings made on just getting a basic 550w PSU versus a ridiculously over-powered 1000w PSU would easily make it affordable.

Also your board is only 16/4x, which limits crossfire performance.

You're far better off getting a 550w corsair PSU and R9 290.

What r9 290 would be the best for value

The sapphire 9 280x is 195 and r9 290 is 300 sterling

• Advertisement

If you look around the R9 290 starts at about 215-220 sterling. You can easily get a 290X for way below 300 sterling even.

Advertisement