Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas connection on Electric Cooker

Options
  • 11-06-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi there,

I've seen a house having Gas Heating but cooker in kitchen is electric.
    Is it big deal to have Gas connection / piping for a Gas Cooker if decide to replace Electric cooker with Gas Cooker or do we have to get it approved / done by Gas Company and need separate connection?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You must get an RGI Gas Plumber to do the work. He will run a new pipe feed to the hob either internally or externally and pierce the wall where required.

He MUST give you a receipt afterwards with his RGI number and what he done.

DO NOT mess around with gas appliances, if you want to save money, do it elsewhere, not with the gas or electrics to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 roofi

kceire wrote: »
    You must get an RGI Gas Plumber to do the work. He will run a new pipe feed to the hob either internally or externally and pierce the wall where required.

DO NOT mess around with gas appliances, if you want to save money, do it elsewhere, not with the gas or electrics to some extent.

Thanks kceire,

Any idea on average, what cost involves and is it a big job or a couple of hours job?

We have been using gas cooker for long and wouldn't be comfortable cooking on electric hobs as it takes much longer to cook for family with kids.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

roofi wrote: »
    Thanks kceire,

Any idea on average, what cost involves and is it a big job or a couple of hours job?

We have been using gas cooker for long and wouldn't be comfortable cooking on electric hobs as it takes much longer to cook for family with kids.

Thanks.

It depends on the hob location compared to the gas meter or nearest point of connection.

My plumber charges €50 for a disconnection of hob, and reconnection of new hob. He had to run a new pipe from the meter to the kitchen for another job for me which was externally and then in through the wall and connection to the gas boiler. That job was €150 because of the time and materials.

It really depends on the house layout to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 roofi

It depends on the hob location compared to the gas meter or nearest point of connection.

My plumber charges €50 for a disconnection of hob, and reconnection of new hob. He had to run a new pipe from the meter to the kitchen for another job for me which was externally and then in through the wall and connection to the gas boiler. That job was €150 because of the time and materials.

It really depends on the house layout to be honest.

Thanks again for prompt reply.
    Would that mean, I don't need to inform Gas company for this gas extension connection in kitchen for gas hob/cooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rajatparihar

Hi Kceire, I also want to swap my electric cooker to gas. My apartment has gas central heating and I too live in North Dublin (Dublin 3). Would you mind sharing the contact number of your plumber by PM? Thanks in advance.

Pic for reference:
    nd4gly.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Consider an induction hob too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

colm_mcm wrote:
    Consider an induction hob too.

Agreed, could even be quicker than gas, I would prefer gas but not at much of a price point

Advertisement