Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you don't drink?

• 12-06-2015 7:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

if you happen to be in a pub, what do you consume? I don't particularily like fizzy drinks or Red Bull, and a lot of the time that's the only alternative, a lot of the time there is no tea or coffee, or capucchino's, never mind herbal teas available.

How else do you reward yourself after a hard day's work? Can anyone recommend any really nice Herbal teas? experimenting with them, as well as dark chocolate, or a really nice healthy meal? could anyone recommend something healthy and tasty?.

I'm not a big drinker at all, I know a lot of people say that and are, but I'm not and am also fairly fit. However the default setting is still to reward myself with a drink. I frankly don't feel any better after a drink and am slightly worse for wear the following day, it's no longer feeling like a reward. I need an alternative.

Advice or experiences appreciated.

Thanks S :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Pint of blackcurrant (and its usually free!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Herbal teas or sparkling water with drop of lime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

yourpics wrote: »
    Pint of blackcurrant (and its usually free!)

Most places i go to charge up to 2e for a pint of water with blackcurrant / lime.

In fairness once you make a bit of 'oh im driving' small talk the barman usually doesnt charge after that.

But yeah pint of water (with or without mi wadi) or a coffee or tea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

BKWDR wrote: »
    Most places i go to charge up to 2e for a pint of water with blackcurrant / lime.

In fairness once you make a bit of 'oh im driving' small talk the barman usually doesnt charge after that.

But yeah pint of water (with or without mi wadi) or a coffee or tea :)

I find that its free in pubs but 1 euro in niteclubs. Talk about penny pinching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I made the mistake of drinking 5 pints of rock shandy one night. By closing I couldn't stop wizzing plus my body was shaking from all the sugar!

It's a nightmare if you don't drink in this Country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Normally just pints of water and the odd sprite if I am out. Like drinking coffee but when you are in a pub just stick to water.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

When I stopped drinking the booze, I used to drink copious amounts of lucazade. Since it didn't agree with my stomach, I stuck to water and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Raymond Darcy

Sparkling water with lime-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I remember arguing with pubs, well maybe not arguing, but certainly complaining, about their refusal to serve coffee....at a festival (in a town) had to leave the pub and go down the road to get coffee...it's as though there was a sponsorship agreement with Red Bull and Carlsberg, with very little else available, Red Bull was the non-alcoholic option...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Get yourself a non-alcoholic cocktail. They taste exactly the same as the real things! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 damok89

Ashbx wrote: »
    Get yourself a non-alcoholic cocktail. They taste exactly the same as the real things! :)

I only did that myself last weekend when I was out with friends. They taste exactly like the real thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

Spirogyra wrote: »
    , Red Bull was the non-alcoholic option...
    :eek: I wouldn't like to imagine what your heart rate would be after that Spirogyra!

I always have one Lucozade, followed by glasses of sparkling water. In winter, I freeze after so much water the barman makes me a coffee :p

By the way, I like Raymond Darcy's idea of a dash of lime in the water so I'll have that tonight!

PippaChic wrote: »
    :eek: I wouldn't like to imagine what your heart rate would be after that Spirogyra!

I always have one Lucozade, followed by glasses of sparkling water. In winter, I freeze after so much water the barman makes me a coffee :p

By the way, I like Raymond Darcy's idea of a dash of lime in the water so I'll have that tonight!

Did the Raymond Darcy idea of water and dash of lime do down well? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Do drugs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    Do drugs.

Reported.

Pint of Blackcurrant or a still water. Or if it's early in the day a nice cappuchino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Bols creme de mente, although it takes some getting used to

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Bols creme de mente, although it takes some getting used to

Be aware: Bols c de m is an alcoholic drink.

<<<Category(s): Liqueur
    Group(s): Creme de Menthe , Creme Liqueurs , Mint Flavoured
    Producer: Bols - www.bols.com
    ABV: 24%
    Brand: Bols
    Country of Origin: Holland
    Flavour: Mint
    Liqueur Type: Herbal>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Ah there must be some mistake, there is a non alcoholic version. Sorry maybe I have the wrong name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I find a pack of Trebor's extra strong mints and ice water to be quite good, keeps your breath fresh, and the mints help the pint of water last longer. Similar to the OP, I would definitely not want to be drinking soft drinks all night in a pub/club.

Erdinger is a very nice non-alcoholic beer as well

I find a pack of Trebor's extra strong mints and ice water to be quite good, keeps your breath fresh, and the mints help the pint of water last longer. Similar to the OP, I would definitely not want to be drinking soft drinks all night in a pub/club.

Erdinger is a very nice non-alcoholic beer as well

I was with some friends last night and tried the non-alcoholic Erdinger. It's nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of drinking 5 pints of rock shandy one night. By closing I couldn't stop wizzing plus my body was shaking from all the sugar!

It's a nightmare if you don't drink in this Country.

+1. I'm abstaining from alcohol for a while (health reasons) and while I don't miss it I had trouble getting to sleep the other night after all the soft drinks I had!!
    Sticking to sparkling water next time....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Steve320

Red bull , usually free as I'm the designated driver plus usually get loads of free cigarettes so worth it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Blong!hahaha

TBH I wouldn't opt for drinks with lots of chemicals like Red Bull etc.. just water or tea or coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

A mineral or two then on to water. Any more than 2 soft drinks and I feel sick. Diet coke, bitter lemon or cidona are my current 'usuals'.

Advertisement