Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible DSL Speeds

Options
  • 12-06-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can you please look into my dsl speeds. My line is capable of 3mb but has only ever received 2mb for supposed stability reasons. Now for the last number of weeks I've only been greeting 1mb.

There has been no change to my setup over the years and connecting to the master socket makes no difference. Any fluctuations are due to the the supplied signal and not any internal configuration as in the past the speed has dropped but reverted to 2mb, again without Amy change to my internal setup.

This coupled with the fact that my estate is fibre enabled but my house can't get fibre, is making me a very dissatisfied customer.

Please advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

Can you please look into my dsl speeds. My line is capable of 3mb but has only ever received 2mb for supposed stability reasons. Now for the last number of weeks I've only been greeting 1mb.

There has been no change to my setup over the years and connecting to the master socket makes no difference. Any fluctuations are due to the the supplied signal and not any internal configuration as in the past the speed has dropped but reverted to 2mb, again without Amy change to my internal setup.

This coupled with the fact that my estate is fibre enabled but my house can't get fibre, is making me a very dissatisfied customer.

Please advise.
    Hi TechnoFreek

Please PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to this further for you

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Pm sent

Pm sent
    Hi TechnoFreek

I've run a number of tests & my results indicate that there is interference at your premises. This basically means an issue with the connection of the socket in your house which could be created by the way the modem and phone are connected - or indeed even possible faulty equipment like a fault splitter/filter or faulty modem.

My advice would be to  run a speed test to establish what speed you’re running at and then plug the modem directly to your socket (eliminating any phone connection or splitter) and run the same test. If the speed improves whilst the modem is plugged directly to the socket then that shows the issues are a result of the current set up you have.

To ensure accurate set up with no interference please try this link for help: http://bit.ly/PIBDSK

Thanks
    Al

Ok Al. I will try this over the weekend and revert.

Ok Al. I will try this over the weekend and revert.
    Thanks TechnoFreek

Al

• Advertisement

Al, I have the modem connected directly to the master socket in the house with all other phone connections and splitters removed. For reference the sky box was the only other device connected to a phone socket.

I'm still only getting 1mb.

The modem is still connected to the master socket. Can you retest from your end and advise.

Thanks

Al, I have the modem connected directly to the master socket in the house with all other phone connections and splitters removed. For reference the sky box was the only other device connected to a phone socket.

I'm still only getting 1mb.

The modem is still connected to the master socket. Can you retest from your end and advise.

Thanks
    Hi TechnoFreek

There interference is still showing in my tests - I'm sorry about this, the best advice I can further offer is to contact our technical support team directly on free phone 1901 or via WebChat here www.eircom.ie - technical support will be able to run further tests and arrange an engineer if required.

I'll make sure to note our correspondence on your account

Cheers
    Al

Hi TechnoFreek

There interference is still showing in my tests - I'm sorry about this, the best advice I can further offer is to contact our technical support team directly on free phone 1901 or via WebChat here www.eircom.ie - technical support will be able to run further tests and arrange an engineer if required.

Cheers
    Al

Thanks Al. Am I required to be at home for these further tests or could I operate the call/webchat from work?

Hi TechnoFreek

Cheers
    Al

Thanks Al. Am I required to be at home for these further tests or could I operate the call/webchat from work?
    No worries TechnoFreek

It's best to be at home to be honest - I would recommend being at home but you could check with them first if you prefer?

Cheers
    Al

Hey Al, spoke to tech guys over the weekend. They're saying the line is fine and think my modem is at fault.

Granted my modem is a generic, old model.

I want to order a replacement dsl modem. I tried ringing 1901 but couldn't find a way through the options to do this.

Is this something you could arrange for me please? I want to buy it outright and not get tied into another year contract.

Hopefully this works as tech support said I should be able to get 4mb plus on my line. I'm currently set up to get 2.2 but only getting just over 1 as things stand.

• Advertisement

Hey Al, spoke to tech guys over the weekend. They're saying the line is fine and think my modem is at fault.

Granted my modem is a generic, old model.

I want to order a replacement dsl modem. I tried ringing 1901 but couldn't find a way through the options to do this.

Is this something you could arrange for me please? I want to buy it outright and not get tied into another year contract.

Hopefully this works as tech support said I should be able to get 4mb plus on my line. I'm currently set up to get 2.2 but only getting just over 1 as things stand.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi technoFreak

I have discussed this with a manager in our technical support centre who thinks that this needs to be escalated to have the main socket checked due low attainable. He can't see any faults on the modem so he would rather have it escalated, we can arrange an appointment for Wednesday morning or afternoon or any after - is this ok with you?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

Oh right. Thanks for progressing this for me Al.

Friday morning would work well for me I think. Would there be a cost for this engineer visit?

Oh right. Thanks for progressing this for me Al.

Friday morning would work well for me I think. Would there be a cost for this engineer visit?
    No worries TechnoFreek

I'll arrange Friday morning for you now - no there will be no cost

Thanks
    Al

Perfect. I presume the engineer just needs access to the master socket in my hallway, have the modem setup there etc.

Perfect. I presume the engineer just needs access to the master socket in my hallway, have the modem setup there etc.
    Yes that's all Technofreak - the appointment is booked now :)

Al

Thanks Al. Do I get a call in advance? Is there any particular time or is it just morning?

Thanks Al. Do I get a call in advance? Is there any particular time or is it just morning?
    No worries at all - the best indication we can offer is between 8.30 and 12.30 although the engineer will call you that morning to arrange a more specific time frame

Al

Great. You have my mobile contact as I dont use the land line number?

Sorry for all the questions!

Great. You have my mobile contact as I dont use the land line number?

Sorry for all the questions!
    Please PM me your mobile number and I'll add it to the notes :)

Al

Thanks Al. Pm sent.

• Advertisement

Thanks Al. Pm sent.
    Perfect, That's added to notes now.

Cheers
    Al

Hey Al. I've been getting a number of texts from eircom the past few days regarding an unresolved open issue and that I would be contacted etc. I presume this is just due to the engineer visit scheduled for tomorrow?

Can you confirm that I am still booked in for a morning appointment tomorrow with contact via my mobile number?

Thanks

Hey Al. I've been getting a number of texts from eircom the past few days regarding an unresolved open issue and that I would be contacted etc. I presume this is just due to the engineer visit scheduled for tomorrow?

Can you confirm that I am still booked in for a morning appointment tomorrow with contact via my mobile number?

Thanks
    Hi TechnoFreek

Yes I can certainly confirm the appointment is still scheduled for tomorrow morning - between 8.30 & 12.30

Sorry for any confusion caused by the texts

Al

Hey Al. No call from or any sign of an engineer yet.

Can you please advise. I've had to take time off work to be at home.

Thanks.

Hey Al. No call from or any sign of an engineer yet.

Can you please advise. I've had to take time off work to be at home.

Thanks.
    Hi TechnoFreek

Yes, the engineer is on route - should be with you in within the next hour :)

Al

Hey Al. Engineer got the issue sorted. Gone from 1mb to 4!

He said my profile could handle 6mb though. Could you arrange this change for me please?

Thanks.

Hey Al. Engineer got the issue sorted. Gone from 1mb to 4!

He said my profile could handle 6mb though. Could you arrange this change for me please?

Thanks.
    Delighted to hear this TechnoFreek

Thanks for updating the thread - I'll send a request for this now :)

Cheers

Al

Hi Al, just wondering do you have any update on that request.

Thanks

Hi Al, just wondering do you have any update on that request.

Thanks
    Hi TechnoFreek

The download speed is set at up to 7Mb now, I've double checked with technical support and they have also confirmed this

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks Al. So whatever speeed I get now is going to be the max?

Advertisement