Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible DSL Speeds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks Al. So whatever speeed I get now is going to be the max?
    I've just discovered something interesting technofreek....

I requested for your line to be retested at the exchange - it now seems that if your broadband was upgraded to ADSL2 you will be able to avail of approx 12 to 15Mb (possibly even 17Mb but that's a little too ambitious)

Basically what needs to happen is to change you from your current broadband subscription (Broadband advanced LOW unlimited) to the next level which is called (broadband advanced HIGH unlimited) - there is no extra price for this.

If this interests you please get on to the guys is sales WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow or on free phone 1800503303. I'm not sure how long this takes but in some cases it can take up to 10 days to upgrade as (in some cases) an engineer needs to change your line to an ADSL2 port.

Hope this helps technoFreek :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey Al. Thats interesting.

When the engineer called out he did say that he had connected me to a mini exchange at the top of my estate instead of directly to the main exchange much further away. So that probably explains the speed increase.

However he also said he made changes which would allow me to get fibre which was previously unavailable to my house specifically. Granted when I put my phone number in to the line checker it says fibre unavailable however the engineer supplied me with specific cabinet and cable reference numbers.

Fibre would probably be my first choice if I had to get an engineer out.

Please advise.

Hey Al. Thats interesting.

When the engineer called out he did say that he had connected me to a mini exchange at the top of my estate instead of directly to the main exchange much further away. So that probably explains the speed increase.

However he also said he made changes which would allow me to get fibre which was previously unavailable to my house specifically. Granted when I put my phone number in to the line checker it says fibre unavailable however the engineer supplied me with specific cabinet and cable reference numbers.

Fibre would probably be my first choice if I had to get an engineer out.

Please advise.
    That's very interesting TechnoFreek - leave it with me and I'll explore the possibility of eFibre further...

Cheers
    Al

Great. I'll pass on the cabinet and cable reference numbers if and when you need them.
    Hopefully you will need them!

The engineer politely described my estate as being wired up arseways!

Great. I'll pass on the cabinet and cable reference numbers if and when you need them.
    Hopefully you will need them!

The engineer politely described my estate as being wired up arseways!
    No worries, please feel free to PM me this information so I have it to hand

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

PM sent Al.

For reference I was was still getting between 4 and 5mb download last night. I didn't see any change after my profile was set to 7mb.

Anyway not too worried about this for now if I can get Adsl2 or better yet, fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

PM sent Al.

For reference I was was still getting between 4 and 5mb download last night. I didn't see any change after my profile was set to 7mb.

Anyway not too worried about this for now if I can get Adsl2 or better yet, fibre.
    Hi TechnoFreek
    Al is off today but I will get details on this and send on for further update.
    Tony

No worries Tony. Thanks for the update.

No worries Tony. Thanks for the update.
    Hi TechnoFreek

I'm back today, I still don't have more information on the situation surrounding efibre but leave it with me and I'll keep chasing this up.

Cheers
    Al

Thanks Al. The engineer had no doubts that this Will work as he specifically did some work to enable me for fibre.

So it's just a case of the ordering process accepting the cable reference information provided by the engineer.

• Advertisement

Thanks Al. The engineer had no doubts that this Will work as he specifically did some work to enable me for fibre.

So it's just a case of the ordering process accepting the cable reference information provided by the engineer.
    I've no further update TechnoFreek - although I can assure you I will continue to chase this up until I have...

Cheers
    Al

Hey Al. Just a gentle bump for an update. Thanks

Hey Al. Just a gentle bump for an update. Thanks
    Cheers TechnoFreek

I have had more information on this. At present the line is not qualifying for eFibre and eircom can't give you the service - however upon escalating the content of the PM your sent me (regarding the cabinet) to the planning department they have advised that your line (including others in your area) will be re-tested for eFibre service between the 8th & 12th of August. Only after this date will we be able to offer you a definitive answer on this. Sorry I don't have anything better right now technofreek - the option to upgrade to ADSL2 is available right now though.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al. Remind me what I need to do to order this?

Also is there any physical works required at my property to perform this upgrade e.g. replacing master socket etc

Thanks Al. Remind me what I need to do to order this?

Also is there any physical works required at my property to perform this upgrade e.g. replacing master socket etc
    Hi TechnoFreek

There's no physical works required for the ADSL2 upgrade - there is works required for efibre install, for example the installation technician installs a new updated faceplate.

To Upgrade to ADSL2 please contact the sales team on free phone 1800503303 (better doing it on WebChat www.eircom.ie/chatnow) and requesting an upgrade to the "high" version of your broadband package. It's called broadband advance HIGH unlimited. There's no extra charge for it.

Cheers
    Al

Thanks Al. Never seems to be an agent available on that chat now.

Thanks Al. Never seems to be an agent available on that chat now.
    No worries TechnoFreek

Did you get your order in yet?

Cheers
    Al

Hey Al. Couldn't get an agent on chat now yesterday evening so rang sales on the number you provided. They hadn't a clue as to what I was talking about so they put me through tto technical support.

Tech support knew what I was talking about but said I needed to talk to sales. to be fair, the tech agent said he'd talk to sales first on my behalf to explain what I needed before transferring me.

I was on hold for ages then the tech guy came back and said sales were having issues with their systems and they would ring me back later.

I don't have a land line connected so if they were ringing that number I was uncontactable.

Al, is there anything you can do for me? Thanks!

Hey Al. Couldn't get an agent on chat now yesterday evening so rang sales on the number you provided. They hadn't a clue as to what I was talking about so they put me through tto technical support.

Tech support knew what I was talking about but said I needed to talk to sales. to be fair, the tech agent said he'd talk to sales first on my behalf to explain what I needed before transferring me.

I was on hold for ages then the tech guy came back and said sales were having issues with their systems and they would ring me back later.

I don't have a land line connected so if they were ringing that number I was uncontactable.

Al, is there anything you can do for me? Thanks!
    Hi TechnoFreek

I have arranged the order to be placed this morning. One thing I would like to mention is that the agent who placed the order for me advised that your line needs to be upgraded physically at the exchange (basically enabling ADSL2+) by an engineer and the expected completion timeframe can take up to 10 days. I requested that this be sped up but I can't guarantee an earlier time frame at the moment. Also, Just to note the upgrade does not effect the price or contract duration :)

Cheers
    Al

That's great Al. Much appreciated.

No worries about the timeframe and physical works.

So what happens next?

• Advertisement

That's great Al. Much appreciated.

No worries about the timeframe and physical works.

So what happens next?
    No problem :)

Basically just a waiting game now - you don't have to do anything or change any settings

Keep in touch for an update if you wish

Al

Hey Al.

Some good news. I came home last Thursday or Friday to find that my dsl speeds had gone up to 16mb. Thanks for organizing that for me.

Even better news. Now when I check for fibre availability my line and address show as fibre ready. Result!

Quick tech question before I order. If I needed the fibre modem placed in a different room to that of the master socket, what cabling do I require.

I have a phone socket in the room in question, the dsl modem is there and working as is.

Just need to understand what's involved.

Please advise .

Hey Al.

Some good news. I came home last Thursday or Friday to find that my dsl speeds had gone up to 16mb. Thanks for organizing that for me.

Even better news. Now when I check for fibre availability my line and address show as fibre ready. Result!

Quick tech question before I order. If I needed the fibre modem placed in a different room to that of the master socket, what cabling do I require.

I have a phone socket in the room in question, the dsl modem is there and working as is.

Please advise .
    That's fantastic TechnoFreek:)

The modem can only be installed at the point of the master socket I'm afraid.

Cheers for the update

Al

Can the location of the master socket be chaanged? Thanks

Can the location of the master socket be chaanged? Thanks
    Unfortunately not TechnoFreek - eircom do not arrange change of location for the master socket although you can explore this with a local electrician yourself

Cheers
    Al

Hey Al. My fibre installation is booked for this thursday.

As it is a while since I made the booking, could you just double check for me that is still booked in?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Perfect. I presume the engineer just needs access to the master socket in my hallway, have the modem setup there etc.
    That's correct TechnoFreek, 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Tracey, can you confirm my booking for this Thursday afternoon please. Also that my mobile number is the contact number.

Thanks

Tracey, can you confirm my booking for this Thursday afternoon please. Also that my mobile number is the contact number.

Thanks
    Hi TechnoFreek

Yes it's still planned for this afternoon. Sometime between 12.30 and 6pm. Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

No problem, thanks Al.

Advertisement