Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does unlocked prepaid iphones lock to network ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah I'd be curious to know if it's true myself but sounds like meteor either having a laugh or unsure themselves!

Wouldn't believe it personally but the process may have changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Nah, it's not changed because in the last couple of weeks I unlocked my own ip6 and my nieces 5c contract phones following the usual request unlock from network, put unsupported sim in, synch with iTunes etc..

What meteor were harping on about the phone relocking is due to 1. they said they have seen it happen sometimes, and 2. these are the instructions they got from apple (highly doubtful I would say as it mentioned stuff about your phone being 'bricked' after the unlock. lol.). Basically covering their behinds in case something should go wrong or genuine ineptitude. Hard to tell. But plenty of morons on their site.

In any case my mate didn't even need iTunes/unlocking process. The phone was basically sim free from the get go. He paid 780 in CPH as he was too impatient to order from the Apple store and wait the couple of days. In the end he got the phone 20 euro cheaper and at least he can travel abroad now and use any sim he wants. It was very annoying for him as he was worried his phone could get relocked to some foreign sim if he connected to iTunes while he was away. But he is travelling next week so put the sim in today and it worked thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

I have a iphone 4 that was bought on meteor bill pay a few years back. i requested the unlock code and they gave me the same speech. They were right. When i put a 3 sim into the phone the phone locked to it. Now when i say it locked to it, it meant when i put the meteor sim or any other sim other than a 3 sim it would say invalid sim. So when i wanted to use a vodafone sim in it i had to restore the phone in iTunes and it would lock to vodafone then and let me use only a vodafone sim. a pain in the h@*e. Now i am with tesco mobile and it will not activate with them and they are not a proper carrier just a MVNO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

So it sounds like this unlocking/locking to network when you change sim could be related to an older iOS. As I have yet to meet anyone who has had a phone relock on iOS 8. Indeed with iOS 7 I believe the phone with lock itself to another carriers sim if you synched using a usb connection whereas with wireless sync this did not happen. So perhaps these instructions from Apple that meteor give out are just outdated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

For what it's worth, I unlocked a 4s on iOS6 and it stayed unlocked for good. I did use an online ebay slightly dodgy service to unlock it, but the process is the same and it was unlocked in a few days and works with any sim. I never updated from iOS6 on the 4s and it works aok with any sim still!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I've unlocked a 5c and 5s from Meteor and it never locked to another network EVER!! I'm using the 5s currently in the USA with T-Mobile and it hasn't locked at all not sure what Meteor do be talking about with that email I got it from them too.

Advertisement