Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Energy Company

Options
  • 12-06-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Basically landlord ended lease early due to ongoing issues with the structure of the house he was unwilling to fix. I told him I was locked into a 12month contract with an energy company. He told me not to worry he'd fix it up. So I submitted a final reading - I didnt give the company an instruction on this just did it on their site. They sent me subsequent bills in the following months.

Energy company now claim I owe them a few hundred euro which is not the case. They are plaguing me with calls. What should I do?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

whodafunk wrote: »
    He told me not to worry he'd fix it up.

Did he expand on what he meant by this?
    So I submitted a final reading - I didnt give the company an instruction on this just did it on their site.

Did you just submit a normal reading? Was it expected by you that the landlord would close the account?
    They sent me subsequent bills in the following months.

Energy company now claim I owe them a few hundred euro which is not the case. They are plaguing me with calls. What should I do?

Cheers

Have you rang them up and talked with them about it? Have you talked with the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

No - he just he'd sort it out in a conversation I had with him and not to worry about it.

I submitted a normal reading for what I used.

I'm a little worried ringing them up to be honest. I've not spoken with the landlord.
    Should I just ring up and be honest about the whole thing? I didnt want calling them as I thought they would try to penalise me as I was breaking out of a 12 month contract but what was I to do under the circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Honestly, you're entirely liable because you never closed the account. In the circumstances you could have had the contract transferred to the landlord.

However, they might show some leniency. Throw yourself on their mercy and if that doesn't work contact the landlord.

Advertisement