Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed regarding council rules.

Options
  • 12-06-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I need advise for a friend of mine who lives in a different county, so I'm not sure if all council rules are the same ? I've told her they are for Waterford but hopefully someone can tell me if they are the same elsewhere and what she can do ?
    My friend and her family were living in a council house when their home was targeted by an arson attack, and the council have decided the family has to move back when the house is fixed.
    To me this is absurd but apparently the rule here in Waterford is the same as there, the council won't do transfers for people who are on the receiving end of anti social behaviour ?
    Is this not against human rights though expecting someone to live in fear ?
    I'm sure there must be some rule in place that can help her as she is sick with worry over it all.
    If anyone has any advice I can give I'd appreciate it as I have run out of ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I tend to agree but there is a theory (pretty bonkers one IMHO) that people might start setting fire to places so they get a move, while I don't subscribe to this theory I suspect there are a few civil services employees that so.

My advice would be to contact FLAC and/or see if a lawyer would take a case pro bono. You could also look at the legal aid route.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Yes I can understand what you mean, yes I suggested that to her as she does have a lot of back up of how many times gardai were called etc and how often she had gone into the council before it happened due to threats received so I think she would have a good case.
    But I can appreciate to how people can't just move etc but at the same time surely sometimes there can be exceptions if good cause ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Pretty sure its a nationwide rule. We haven't been moved even though our house has been targeted.

hdowney wrote: »
    Pretty sure its a nationwide rule. We haven't been moved even though our house has been targeted.

I was hoping there might be a county that didn't have the rule so she could use that as an example or something.
    It just seems crazy to me that not only her and her family. but her neighbours will have to live in fear when she moves back in, I just hope she does get legal aid and can do something about it.
    Really hope you do too. It's no way to live.

Thanks. We have to document everything and report every little thing to the guards until they can get something concrete they can hopefully use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Op your friend could try contacting

http://www.mercylaw.ie

This is a free legal resource for people in social housing at risk of losing their homes. The website states its for the Dublin area but they may be able to advise her of her rights or precedents in other local authorities.

Of course if the reason for the targeting of the family is a member of the family I.e a wayward teenage son involved in drugs or whatever a move wouldn't sort her issue the problem might follow to any new address that they are transferred to. She could also look for a voluntary transfer with another tenant. You would advertise this yourself. She should check with the local authority if they allow it.

Thanks. We have to document everything and report every little thing to the guards until they can get something concrete they can hopefully use

Yes she has been doing this too, but unfortunately not much evidence to prove who is doing it.

Kelly06 wrote: »
    Op your friend could try contacting

http://www.mercylaw.ie

This is a free legal resource for people in social housing at risk of losing their homes.

Of course if the reason for the targeting of the family is a member of the family I.e a wayward teenage son involved in drugs or whatever a move wouldn't sort her issue the problem might follow to any new address that they are transferred to. She could also look for a voluntary transfer with another tenant. You would advertise this yourself. She should check with the local authority if they allow it.
    They have been told that the way people used to do house swapping isn't allowed anymore, and especially not for these kinds of cases.
    No it's nothing like that no wayward teenagers, only child living at home and they are very quiet no mad parties.
    But I will pass that on thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

They have been told that the way people used to do house swapping isn't allowed anymore, and especially not for these kinds of cases.
    No it's nothing like that no wayward teenagers, only child living at home and they are very quiet no mad parties.
    But I will pass that on thank you.

I edited my post to say that they act in the Dublin area but she could contact them and see how such things are handled in other local authorities.

Kelly06 wrote: »
    I edited my post to say that they act in the Dublin area but she could contact them and see how such things are handled in other local authorities.

Thankyou, yes worth trying because I'm sure they might know someone in her area who could help or if there is a rule or law that might help them.
    Thank you for the advice. I just hope it can help, either her or anyone else needing help.

• Advertisement

Yes she has been doing this too, but unfortunately not much evidence to prove who is doing it.

Yup. We KNOW without a shadow of a doubt who is doing it. But proving it... I'll get the little ..... one day in the act of something and then by God.

Yup. We KNOW without a shadow of a doubt who is doing it. But proving it... I'll get the little ..... one day in the act of something and then by God.

Yes same for her and her family they know too but same as you getting them. Totally different, hope you do get them it's beyond a joke having to live like that on edge.

Advertisement