Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with RAM and PSU, rebuild

Options
  • 12-06-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice on re-building a PC that's had some parts stripped.

I have the following:
    Case
    Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E link
    Intel i7 chip (not sure which)
    Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI GPU link
    DVD RW drive
    Monitor etc

Need recommendations for the following:
    RAM (board is triple channel)
    PSU (have an Antec trupower 650 I can plunder from current PC.. is this good enough?)
    HDD. 1GB would be plenty, SSD not required but if it fits in budget would be a nice to have.

Budget: Cheap as possible, but willing to go to about 200 euro, might be able to push slightly higher given time.

Machine will be used for whatever games it can handle. leisure gaming.
    Regular internet browsing etc, some watching of, and sharing of media over network.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1tb HDD is about €55, WD Red or Blue, or a Seagate Barracuda
    Crucial BX100 250gb SSD is €85
    http://geizhals.de/?cat=ramddr3&xf=256_3x~5828_DDR3~5831_DIMM~253_4096#xf_top
    Anything there will do for RAM afaik, you can get dual channel ram and go for 8gb either, won't make a difference
    650w PSU is more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Thanks DS for the feedback and link,
    Turns out the motherboard is goosed, and as it's a LGA1366 socket, extremely hard to find a replacement.

Any ideas where I could get a reasonably priced 1366 socket board replacement? Have looked thru all the sites mentioned here and can find very few with that socket type, and they ones I do find are really expensive.

Might have to abandon that socket type and go for a new processor too .... :(

Amazon, hwvs, newegg done deal, cex and adverts are pretty much useless

Unless someone here has a spare they'd be willing to pass on you're out of luck I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Better off getting a new socket S1150 motherboard, 1366 is extremely outdated. Even though it's an 'i7' in name a 1st generation i7 would be on a similar level to a current generation €60 Pentium processor. If the i7 still works you can sell it for a decent few euro, depends on what model but up to about €80 - lot of people looking to upgrade old s1156 machines that don't want to have to change boards.

A basic €45 euro board and €60 euro Pentium G3420 or similar will suffice. 4Gb of ram and a 1TB hard drive will bring you in on budget.

Cheers lads, will see if I can flog the chip and add that to the funds and take it from there.
    Appreciate the input :)

• Advertisement

So, based on recommendations above and links in other threads here, I've come up with the following parts list:

CEX have the recommended processor for sale for 30 euro, so going to get that there allowing me to go for 8GB RAM.
    Also going for a new PSU so I can leave the other machine running. (It's an old AMD Athlon 64 X2, 32 bit, 2GB RAM, Radeon HD 5850)

MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard €47
    WD Blue 1TB €54
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 €53
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 400W - €45

€211 euro delivered from HardwareVersand, and if I can sell the i7 950, that will bring me well back under budget. (CEX selling them for 105, trade in only 25/36 euro for vouchers)

I lumped all the parts into this ( http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MGXZ3C ) to check compatibility and gauge power needed. (Some parts aren't exactly right but close, like DVD, Case, Fans etc) It says 376W total consumption.

Will the 400W PSU above be good enough there, or should I bump up to 450W to be safe?

Optional:
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 450W - €58

Cheers!

Go 450w, leave you a bit of headway

Advertisement