Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coarse fish on the fly

Options
  • 12-06-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I'm going out on a lake pike fishing Sunday and I'm wondering would it be worth bringing the small fly rod for roach or bream or whatever? Would they be interested in wets and nymphs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have never done it although I have heard of it. There are plenty of pieces on youtube etc about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Bring the big fly rod for the pike!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Catching pike on the fly is great crack and more importantly, very effective. Ull have to have the correct tackle though

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Haha ya would be fun alright! The heaviest rod I have is a 7wt though, my next investment will be a proper pike fly rod I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

There's a fishery out in Edenderry, Lough Aisling, that was a trout fishery until this year. Biggest problem catching fish there used to be getting past the Rudd. Went ballistic for any small black fly. It can be done alright, certainly something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I've caught loads of perch and roach on flies. They can be happily seen taking flies from the surface in the evening. They appear to have out competed trout which are a rarity on the stretch of river I fish. Good fun though.

Eph

Advertisement