Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clery's O'Connell Street is gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BoatMad wrote: »
    or more likely centre city offices for which there is a huge huge demand at the moment

Floor plates are utterly unsuitable for what is in demand at the moment. There's plenty of unsuitable offices available in D1/2/4 already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I cant see it being another retail space - not if the Old Carlton building and Moore street redevelopment plans go ahead.

A hotel would be ideal. Plenty of demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

dpe wrote: »
    Why on Earth would Apple open a store there? And its too big anyway. If they open an Apple store in Dublin it will be on Grafton Street or in Dundrum. Go and look at the locations of their stores in other countries.

So Apple is considering a store in Clerys building :)http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/natrium-sets-sights-on-apple-store-in-clerys-building-1.2619976

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

bert911 wrote: »

an upmarket phone shop for O'Connell Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

If they go for the bottom floor and the top floor is offices then that's perfect space wise for an Apple store. I'm all for them moving in rather than Sports Direct. They'll restore the building internally and help bring more upmarket shops to O'Connell St which is only a good thing.

Just keep the Cleary's clock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

dmcg90 wrote: »
    If they go for the bottom floor and the top floor is offices then that's perfect space wise for an Apple store. I'm all for them moving in rather than Sports Direct. They'll restore the building internally and help bring more upmarket shops to O'Connell St which is only a good thing.

Just keep the Cleary's clock!

It,ll be replaced by a giant apple watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

neris wrote: »
    It,ll be replaced by a giant apple watch

Don't give them ideas!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

O'Connell Street is not a good location to put an apple shop IMO.

There is far too much junkies in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

bert911 wrote: »

Nowhere does that article say Apple is considering moving in. All it says is Natrium want's them to move in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Simon2015 wrote: »
    O'Connell Street is not a good location to put an apple shop IMO.

There is far too much junkies in that area.
    It's a genius business model though. Punter comes in buys latest Apple phone, walks out onto O'Connell Street gawping at the thing, local entrepreneur swings by on his freshly acquired bike and liberates the phone. The phone is over on Moore Street being fenced and unlocked by the time the punter has to about turn into the Apple store and buy another.

Welcome to late stage capitalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If Apple were to locate there, I doubt they'd occupy the entire ground floor. I've been to the ones in NY and London and while big, they are not as big as Clerys ground floor footprint. I'd say the plan is to subdivide the ground floor into maybe 4 semi large retail units and hopefully have Apple occupy one and some other international branded retailer occupy the others.

The worst outcome is for discount clothing/household chain Heatons to occupy it which their parent company Sports Direct is hoping to do. That would not add anything nor be a desperately needed game changer for O'Connell Street. Not against Heatons but they'd be more suited to the Boyers empty unity perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

neris wrote: »
    an upmarket phone shop for O'Connell Street

No worse than primark, McDonald's etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

No worse than primark, McDonald's etc

I don't think retail outlets like Penneys are the problem on O'Connell street are the issue. Its all the fast food outlets that are there thats' a joke.

If DCC had any ambition, they would attempt to turn it into a grafton street type street.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hopefully Apple will pay more tax. Might just help the lads that lost their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Hopefully Apple will pay more tax. Might just help the lads that lost their jobs

huh ???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

madness to think Apple could ever occupy the entire ground floor of Cleary's.. won't happen. It's a great pity more is not made of O'Connell St all the same. It's been lost to bad planning and feral junkies and scumbags....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If we got Apple in there and fingers crossed the Dublin Central scheme gets off the ground with a John Lewis, O'Connell st will be on the mend.

I'd like to see some more internationals come to Dublin. El Corte Ingles would be a lovely addition to the retail mix.

Strumms wrote: »
    madness to think Apple could ever occupy the entire ground floor of Cleary's.. won't happen. It's a great pity more is not made of O'Connell St all the same. It's been lost to bad planning and feral junkies and scumbags....
    AN apple store would be nice though , it looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't usually post here but I just read this and almost spat my tea out.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/former-clerys-staff-group-oppose-development-plan-418844.html

I'm sure that there's a series of complicated reasons behind the objections which aren't covered in the story but this line in particular I couldn't believe:

Susie Gaynor McGowan, a former Clerys employee, objects to the plan and said she hopes the council refuses permission.

She said: “There is a lot wrong with the plan. We are not Abu Dhabi here. This is O’Connell St. O’Connell St is a working-class area for decent, hard-working people. No one wants an open-top bar on O’Connell St."

I'm probably beyond the open-top bar drinking phase of my life but this is Dublin's main road and could be Ireland's main tourist attraction. This is the kind of backwards thinking that has kept that area stuck in the 1970s.

As I said, I'm sure there's more to it than this and there's probably is a question to be asked about whether a six floor building behind Clerys is really fitting but will a fear of gentrification really be allowed to hold our City back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I hope they don't build high in O'Connell Street, anything planned should not dwarf the rest of the street. Not interested in a glass topped bar, but a glass topped restaurant might be nice, on one of our sunnier days of course! I would welcome some new general retail stores as Arnott's have it sewn up now that Boyers and Clerys are gone. We need more choice in D1. I'm sick of the smell of fast food outlets on O'Connell Street.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/former-clerys-staff-group-oppose-development-plan-418844.html

I'm sure that there's a series of complicated reasons behind the objections which aren't covered in the story but this line in particular I couldn't believe:

Susie Gaynor McGowan, a former Clerys employee, objects to the plan and said she hopes the council refuses permission.

She said: “There is a lot wrong with the plan. We are not Abu Dhabi here. This is O’Connell St. O’Connell St is a working-class area for decent, hard-working people. No one wants an open-top bar on O’Connell St."

I'm probably beyond the open-top bar drinking phase of my life but this is Dublin's main road and could be Ireland's main tourist attraction. This is the kind of backwards thinking that has kept that area stuck in the 1970s.

As I said, I'm sure there's more to it than this and there's probably is a question to be asked about whether a six floor building behind Clerys is really fitting but will a fear of gentrification really be allowed to hold our City back?

remember , these objections are not about what is being planned for the former Clearys site, the ex-workers who are objecting , couldnt care less what happens to Clearys.

This is an attempt to put pressure on OCS, so that , in a forlorn hope in my view, they will cough up some monies to make the protesters go away

The situation surrounding the Clearys workers was unfortunate , but it was the law of the land , whether that law is changed and to what extent remains to be seen, but its a difficult balance between a business "freedom to fail" and its right and responsibilities to its workers or former workers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I hope they don't build high in O'Connell Street, anything planned should not dwarf the rest of the street.

Rather hard to dwarf the rest of the street with a 400ft needle in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I hope they refuse all planning for these cnuts, put a preservation order on it, and let them stew

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

uch wrote: »
    I hope they refuse all planning for these cnuts, put a preservation order on it, and let them stew

And penalize every resident and every visitor to the city just out of spite?

uch wrote: »

what would that achieve, the then produce a derelict eyesore in the main street of the state

its rather bizarre how people respond , burn all around them to make a point , bizarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I hope they get permission.

It will be a great , badly needed rejuvenation for o'connell street. Yes what happened to the workers was disgusting, but Clearys wasn't very profitable, and this could change the street for the better.

I hope they get permission.

It will be a great , badly needed rejuvenation for o'connell street. Yes what happened to the workers was disgusting, but Clearys wasn't very profitable, and this could change the street for the better.

OCS holdings , which in effect owned both the building and the operations was not profitable and had serious bank debts that were to fall due in late 2016.

one way or the other the business was going to be shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Lads and lasses, yiz are talking about an iconic Dublin business on O'Connell St. since the 19th century and it's called Clerys. Can ye not even get the name right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she may have a point about the weather

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Oh dear god what drivel from yer waun.Since when is being working class a badge of honour? We are suppose to be a Republic also

Since when did Cleary's their old place of employment cater for the "wurking class"? This were not cheap there as it was about big name brands

O'Connell St suppose to be the Premier Street in the whole of Ireland, the most photographed street in the country. We need to give it an up market feel, high end retail or even business offices, anything to get people with money back to the street. Something distinctive. With more investment , the better the policing and the quicker we get the vermin off that street.

By her attitude, she thinks only the working class are the only honest to god decent working people. Good grief

She is worried about the working class,look at Moore Street, an utter kip.Wow she wants the Struppet City effect does she?The auld Bill Cullen penny Apple days?

This nonsense has held Dublin back for too long. Sure the bloody street is full of cheap fast food outlets. How many Burger Kings and McDonalds are there between O'Connell Street to Parnell and Ilac SC? Granted they get business but come on. It is such a boring looking street despite the GPO.

Advertisement