Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clery's O'Connell Street is gone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Just heard. Sad to hear that, I have some very fond memories of going there as a child, especially at Christmas.

macc_89127228-1885-0578-61f3-3d7a53079367-1.jpg

One of the most recognisable things in Ireland.

Anyone any idea who Natrium are?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Stheno wrote: »
    All of the official figures are the opposite end of what you are saying, unemployment is at it's lowest since 2007, tax take is ahead of target as two examples

Exactly

There is more being invested into affordable/council housing, did you miss the plan announced for Dublin this month as an example?
    I'm in a startup and seeing a massive increase in business opportunities which are coming to fruition, am better off now than during the boom.

Maybe you should start reading some papers? Your view is one that is very skewed from the stats coming out from the Troika, the Government and even the international agencies who grade us in terms of credit rating.

sorry guys, you will NOT convince me. all the investments you ve mentioned are too little too late. im waiting for the s*it storm, hopefully it wont happen but im not convinced. thank you for your advice but im dyslexic so reading is a bit too much for me at times including these threads at times. apologies, didnt read your full response above. getting too tired now reading. i go on pure observations in life, im not seeing any major signs of recovery. most families i know are struggling, some serious, some facing home repossession. life is relative. it depends where you are in it and what your options are. i will stress this again, ireland is not just about dublin! again, i will stress, you will NOT convince me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i go on pure observations in life

That's a mistake. Anecdotes, or one persons experience of life is no reflection of what's going on in the wider world.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    That's a mistake. Anecdotes, or one persons experience of life is no reflection of what's going on in the wider world.

fair point but as i keep saying, im not convinced at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

i....i will be convinced when i see far less families struggling. ........

I'm with you on this. Yes there is recovery. But it will a long way back for a lot of people. You see a lot of people struggling. But then you also see people who weren't that effected and take advantage of opportunities.

Clerys was an iconic store. I've a lot of memories of it. Sorry to see it go and for the people working there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Clerys Facebook page got taken down with nothing informing customers about the closure

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

There is a mix of things at fault here in my opinion:

1. bad management
    2. uncompetitive trading conditions
    3. Dublin City Council overseeing and allowing the deterioration of the whole O'Connell Street area and environs which meant fewer people would go their to shop. Yes, believe it or not, making junkieville out of the northside of our city has consequences.

Agreed

beauf wrote: »
    I'm with you on this. Yes there is recovery. But it will a long way back for a lot of people. You see a lot of people struggling. But then you also see people who weren't that effected and take advantage of opportunities.

i just think we need to be cautious with using and saying such things as a 'recovery'. i am seeing something changing in the economy which is great but im fearing a large amount of people are going to be left behind in it and this is where i have the real problem. i just hope we have learned from our mistakes of the past because if we havent, the same thing will just happen again and maybe worse. unfortunately this is how modern economics works, those that can, will take advantage of those that cant. very morally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Maybe I'm wrong but I *think* I read something in the newspapers a few weeks ago about how it would make a great hotel. Maybe that's why the new owners were so quick to close the company and sack the staff etc...

To be honest, they are like end of the road, they have the same blinkered attitude except in this case it's the economy, and they seem to think the state should be subsidising all sorts of stuff down to school books for kids and free third level education

They've repeated the same stuff in at least twenty threads that I've read, and always end a debate where they are told they are wrong by saying they are dyslexic so can't read/research

Replying to them is a bit pointless

ignorance is a dreadful thing but the world is full of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

am seeing something changing in the economy

...otherwise called a 'recovery'.

The economy is recovering. Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

The shopping centres and destination stores like arnotts and BT and then the likes of H+M, TK, Maxx etc for younger folk, were always going to make things really hard for a shop like Clerys to compete in the retail market in 2015.

I don't buy the "OCS is an awful location and people are in fear of their lives because of zombie drug addicts" line, look at Pennies and Easons across the road sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

im fearing a large amount of people are going to be left behind in it

Personal responsibility. It's up to people to get involved and not left behind. It is not your responsibility to them. People have choices. Sit at home whinging and sulking or getting themselves up off the floor. Recovery brings opportunity but it does not bring jobs to people's doors.

Personal responsibility. It's up to people to get involved and not left behind. It is not your responsibility to them. People have choices. Sit at home whinging and sulking or getting themselves up off the floor. Recovery brings opportunity but it does not bring jobs to people's doors.

easier said than done im afraid. have a chat to those facing repossession, job loss etc. actually have a chat to the staff of clearys and you ll see what im getting to. life isnt black or white most of the time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

i just think we need to be cautious with using and saying such things as a 'recovery'. i am seeing something changing in the economy which is great but im fearing a large amount of people are going to be left behind in it and this is where i have the real problem.

People will get left behind as we become a society using technology more.
    I lost my job in 2010 and had to do a lot of upskilling to take on the job I took after that.

People need to realise, especially at the lesser skilled level of the labour market that they either accept the lower paid job and the risk they can lose it, or upskill to an area looking for people.

The IT Industry here is crying out for skilled staff, but failing to find them. Now not everyone can work in IT, but people need to realise that it's about skills these days, and not be relying on low skill/no skill jobs

L1011 wrote: »
    ...otherwise called a 'recovery'.

The economy is recovering. Get over yourself.

say that to the staff of clerys

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A shop which, with the best will in the world, was stuck in 1985.

They're going to find jobs elsewhere.

People will get left behind as we become a society using technology more.
    I lost my job in 2010 and had to do a lot of upskilling to take on the job I took after that.

People need to realise, especially at the lesser skilled level of the labour market that they either accept the lower paid job and the risk they can lose it, or upskill to an area looking for people.

The IT Industry here is crying out for skilled staff, but failing to find them. Now not everyone can work in IT, but people need to realise that it's about skills these days, and not be relying on low skill/no skill jobs

i understand what your saying and its great advice but life really isnt black or white. not all have the abilities or just arent in the position in life to do so. finance can be a major hurdle in retraining and reeducation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

i understand what your saying and its great advice but life really isnt black or white. not all have the abilities or just arent in the position in life to do so. finance can be a major hurdle in retraining and reeducation.

How?

There is numerous day and night courses available to everyone in this country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who will find it much easier now to find another job than in 2010

Bull****, where there is a will there is a way, there are free springboard courses, back to education allowance, FAS courses which include practical work experience.

I took a 30% paycut when I lost that job, that hurt, yet I still took it, and worked myself back to my previous level, then worked more and studied part time to get to where I am now.

What do you work at yourself?

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    A shop which, with the best will in the world, was stuck in 1985.

They're going to find jobs elsewhere.

You clearly have a massive chip on your shoulder about all this.

damn hope your right. very difficult to watch it on the news tonight

no i wouldnt say chip, just deeply concerned about our country. its very difficult to watch many families struggle at the moment. many losing hope. very hard to watch. i question authority all the time as i can see authority can get things dramatically wrong at times. always question authority.

Who will find it much easier now to find another job than in 2010

Bull****, where there is a will there is a way, there are free springboard courses, back to education allowance, FAS courses which include practical work experience.

I took a 30% paycut when I lost that job, that hurt, yet I still took it, and worked myself back to my previous level, then worked more and studied part time to get to where I am now.

What do you work at yourself?

disagree, life isnt black or white most of the time.

college

JustTheOne wrote: »
    How?

There is numerous day and night courses available to everyone in this country.

it looks like to me many people need to get out and talk to people that are in these situations. you ll then see the hurdles that are in the way of them doing so. again, life isnt black or white. same same

disagree, life isnt black or white most of the time.

college

Life is pretty much black and white, get the skills to get a job, or stay unemployed.

College will probably give you the knowledge/skills to get a new job.
    What area are you studying?

I'm currently in final year of a Masters to add to my qualifications, and this month have to take three professional exams given my customers requirements for me to get more work from them.

Life is pretty much black and white, get the skills to get a job, or stay unemployed.

College will probably give you the knowledge/skills to get a new job.
    What area are you studying?

I'm currently in final year of a Masters to add to my qualifications, and this month have to take three professional exams given my customers requirements for me to get more work from them.

can i ask what your age is? if thats too personal, no worries. im almost 40. most people i know are married with kids and the lot. i can see the strain on them. its not good. its actually making them ill.

fair play to you. i hope things work out for you. your definitely doing the best you can for yourself.

environmental. very much enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sad news,will always remember their window at christmas & queuing up outside to see santy,always had a great one ,good times

can i ask what your age is? if thats too personal, no worries. im almost 40. most people i know are married with kids and the lot. i can see the strain on them. its not good. its actually making them ill.

fair play to you. i hope things work out for you. your definitely doing the best you can for yourself.

environmental. very much enjoying it.

I'm mid forties, was married prior to losing that job, ended up having to pay a fair whack of maintenance to my ex for a couple of years despite the cut in pay, and having to upskill and continuously do it. I travel due to work a huge amount, I logged mileage related to work of 2560 miles in March, which is high, but it's not unusual for me to hit 1000 miles, which impacts on my personal life.

I have a partner, but no kids, and can work in excess of 50 hours a week, and up to 60 regularly as well as studying. Then I have periods where I have quiet weeks, as I'm self employed, where I get a breather.

It's definitely paid off for me, I'm now earning more than I ever did, even during the boom and have regained that loss in pay that I experienced.

It did take serious effort, and I think that's what people don't get, there aren't jobs out there for the taking, if you want a job that suits you, you need to work to make sure it's there for you

I'm mid forties, was married prior to losing that job, ended up having to pay a fair whack of maintenance to my ex for a couple of years despite the cut in pay, and having to upskill and continuously do it.

I have a partner, but no kids, and can work in excess of 50 hours a week, and up to 60 regularly as well as studying. Then I have periods where I have quiet weeks, as I'm self employed, where I get a breather.

It's definitely paid off for me, I'm now earning more than I ever did, even during the boom and have regained that loss in pay that I experienced.

It did take serious effort, and I think that's what people don't get, there aren't jobs out there for the taking, if you want a job that suits you, you need to work to make sure it's there for you

jasus fair play to you and best of luck with it all. ah sure life doesnt fall in your lap im afraid. great to hear your story though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

is online shopping taking its toll on high street shops??

or is there more to it than that??

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    is online shopping taking its toll on high street shops??

yea i think so and how the hell do we deal with that one

Advertisement