Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clery's O'Connell Street is gone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jasus fair play to you and best of luck with it all. ah sure life doesnt fall in your lap im afraid. great to hear your story though

Thanks

I'd actually say I'm more content in my life now than I've ever been. The fact I earn a decent living helps, but I genuinely love what I do, and know that the effort I have and am putting in qualifications wise makes a difference in my area.

I could have just tried to do what I did in 2010 when I lost my job, but chose to take a chance, and it worked out with a lot of effort on my part.

Putting in effort most of the time achieves results. My negativity towards your earlier posts is that I believe a lot of people don't feel they should make the effort and there should be a job there regardless of skill level etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not entirely sure why, in a thread about a big loss of jobs, and how people and business are still struggling. its appropriate to say you're never done better, and everyone who isn't is lazy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

beauf wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure why, in a thread about a big loss of jobs, and how people and business are still struggling. its appropriate to say you're never done better, and everyone who isn't is lazy.

I'm not saying that at all, I'm saying that people need to recognise that the work environment is changing and if you want to take advantage of it, you need to invest in yourself and your skills. Additionally I've posted plenty of information that the economy is recovering so jobs should be more readily available

If you don't adapt, you'll get left behind.

Where you got that I said people are lazy is beyond me. I clearly said that people need to understand the changing state of the jobs market and adapt their skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The LUAS extension is totally going to rejuvenate the area. If clerys was to relaunch then they would do very well.
    Property within the catchment area is going to raise

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Stheno wrote: »
    Thanks

I'd actually say I'm more content in my life now than I've ever been. The fact I earn a decent living helps, but I genuinely love what I do, and know that the effort I have and am putting in qualifications wise makes a difference in my area.

I could have just tried to do what I did in 2010 when I lost my job, but chose to take a chance, and it worked out with a lot of effort on my part.

Putting in effort most of the time achieves results. My negativity towards your earlier posts is that I believe a lot of people don't feel they should make the effort and there should be a job there regardless of skill level etc

ah no worries at all, i know what you mean. im just very concerned about a certain portion of our society. people like yourself will be fine. you turned your pile of s*ite into your future and im sure things will be fine you and yours but not all people will be able to do that for a whole pile of complicated reasons of which im not convinced are being addressed by our politicians. na you gotta work for what you want in life. simple as

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Very sorry that Clery's have closed. To be honest I rarely shopped there, and I am of the older generation. I usually went in when there was a sale to the Ladies Department and every year bought one or maybe two items. Can't remember when there was a crowd in it for the sale. The long period being closed after the flood must have had a terrible effect and I was looking forward to seeing the New Store when they advertised the relaunch so much, there was a blaze of glory all over the media when it was due to re-open. I went in a couple of weeks later to see what all the shouting was about, and I was presented with this bland landscape of a store, all white and cheap fittings, a very cheap finish to it all. It looked like everything had been just glued back together temporarily. I only went in there once or twice since. I met some relatives for lunch downstairs last year, the food was horrible, and one of my relatives wouldn't eat it. I swore I would never eat there again. I haven't eaten in the restaurant at the top of the building for many years so I don't know what that was like. Still, I am sorry its gone. Maybe John Lewis or Selfridge's might take it over. Dunne's would like it I'm sure. I'd like to see O'Connell Street as a centre for shopping and cafes again. I very much hope it doesn't end up the way the Carlton Cinema did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ted1 wrote: »
    The LUAS extension is totally going to rejuvenate the area. If clerys was to relaunch then they would do very well.

They wouldn't. Lived in Dublin all my life and the only reason to go there was for Santy in the 80s. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever bought anything in there, it just wasn't a place most people would go shopping in the city. The best thing it had going for it was the building itself.

I work in varied places.

One of them means I land on O'Connell St due to bus stops

At the most, I grab a coffee in starbucks, O'Connell Street to me is just a transit Street, I pass Clearys regularly and never go in there

I'll happily go shopping in Debenhams on Henry Street, or browse on Grafton Street, but never O'Connell St.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The best thing it had going for it was the building itself.

maybe they could have turned it into a tourist attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

No more UCC :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The LUAS extension is totally going to rejuvenate the area.

Like it did for Abbey St? :o BTW, the Abbey St stop is 90 seconds walk from Clerys.

That's not a dig at Luas by the way!

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Not surprised but really disappointed. Great memories of it at Christmas as a child. Feel very sorry for the staff. What could they do with that building other than retail ?

How?

apologies i dont know the place all that well but it seems like the building is iconic. maybe they could have run tours, explaining the history of the building etc. some tourists like to spend. just thinking of ways they could have maybe saved the business.

I think it would an amazing apartment complex, with a convenience store, a cobblers, dry cleaners, launderette etc on the ground floor.

Kinda like a micro village.

I work a lot in D2 and all those services are in five minutes walk of where I work, nothing like that on O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It is such a big building, I wonder if there is a possibility of accommodating more than one store. I would hate it to be run down and tacky.

I think it would an amazing apartment complex, with a convenience store, a cobblers, dry cleaners, launderette etc on the ground floor.

Kinda like a micro village.

I work a lot in D2 and all those services are in five minutes walk of where I work, nothing like that on O'Connell St.

you d never know, it might happen yet

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

I think John Lewis would be a good replacement although I think they previously planned on redeveloping the Carlton cinema site

apologies i dont know the place all that well but it seems like the building is iconic. maybe they could have run tours, explaining the history of the building etc. some tourists like to spend. just thinking of ways they could have maybe saved the business.

It's too big to make that feasible really. I think it was just out of touch with the city.

It's too big to make that feasible really. I think it was just out of touch with the city.

It's just in the wrong place tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

porsche959 wrote: »
    So the iconic Clery's survived two world wars, the eighties recession, the 2008/2009 bust, but didn't manage to survive the Fine Gael/Liebour "recovery"!

Eh sorry ? What an idiotic statement. I don't support this government but it's not there fault that clearys is not making money ?

Let me ask you a question. When was the last time you shopped in clearys ?

It's just in the wrong place tbh

ive seen this happen in my own city to. unfortunately as the city develops and grows, so to does the main areas, and they have the tendency to move, over time leaving black holes where the main hotspots were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

+1

I remember it in the 80s but I don't think I've been in it in 10yrs. That said Id almost never shop in city center and I've worked near it for years.

beauf wrote: »
    +1

I remember it in the 80s but I don't think I've been in it in 10yrs. That said Id almost never shop in city center and I've worked near it for years.

Same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

INO, there is little on O'Connell St to attract the consumer. O'Connell street has been allowed to deteriorate as a shopping destination. The City Council have done little. And now Arnotts are (amongst other issues) reaping that fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I bought the occasional item in Elverys. And I got my current phone in CPW. I expect (or maybe just hope) both of these, and other concessions, may simply pop up elsewhere in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Eh sorry ? What an idiotic statement. I don't support this government but it's not there fault that clearys is not making money ?

+1 - store was just completely out of touch.

Retail sales growth so far this year.

CGFo4riU0AAGjpl.jpg:large

And they couldn't tap any of that growth!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's a grand building. Maybe they could put in some amusements.
    A burger and chip place upstairs. Snooker on the top floor.

Nah we need something classy like an Eddie Rockets.

Seriously though it's bloody awful news...I'm expecting to see people posting in Bargain Alerts when the liquidation sale on....:rolleyes:

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I bought the occasional item in Elverys. And I got my current phone in CPW. I expect (or maybe just hope) both of these, and other concessions, may simply pop up elsewhere in the vicinity.

There's s CPW and Elverys all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

People have a lot of nostalgia and goodwill towards Clerys but ask anyone how often they actually bought something there you'd get blank faces all around. They became irrelevant.
    Bit like Rover cars when they went Whallop.

Advertisement