Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning emigrants

Options
  • 12-06-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello
    We (hubby and I) are returning to ireland in the next year after 25 years overseas. So we now start looking for a house. We will have about 400 -500,000 euros to spend. We are now 60 and don't want to move again. We'd like to be in Dublin city or close enough to it. Within easy reach of the airport and the road West as we like to visit Galway. We don't want a big garden and would like facilities like shops to be within reasonable walking distance. Would like to be no more than 45 minutes from dublin city centre. Any suggestions of locations we might start looking at? thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

joanmonroe wrote: »
    Hello
    We (hubby and I) are returning to ireland in the next year after 25 years overseas. So we now start looking for a house. We will have about 400 -500,000 euros to spend. We are now 60 and don't want to move again. We'd like to be in Dublin city or close enough to it. Within easy reach of the airport and the road West as we like to visit Galway. We don't want a big garden and would like facilities like shops to be within reasonable walking distance. Would like to be no more than 45 minutes from dublin city centre. Any suggestions of locations we might start looking at? thanks for any advice/suggestions.

The Dublin 20 area seems to fit the bill. It's located along the N4 which is the Dublin to Galway route. It's beside the m50 for airport access and fairly close to the city centre also with plenty of public transport links. Liffey valley shopping centre is nearby and there are plenty of local shops in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Here's one that seems to match almost all your requirements.

http://www.daft.ie/sales/30-lanesborough-drive-finglas-dublin/1057563/

Property has nothing to do with me.

Practically on M50, so easy for the west and airport. Good shops locally. Not too far from city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joanmonroe

thanks for that. What's Finglas like as a place to live though? I'm not a Dubliner, my only experience there as a student when I lived in Rathmines. My impression of Finglas from that time though was not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

thanks for that. What's Finglas like as a place to live though? I'm not a Dubliner, my only experience there as a student when I lived in Rathmines. My impression of Finglas from that time though was not good.

Finglas is a bit of a dump to be honest, I would say somewhere like castle knock would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Lucan sounds ideal for you. Easy access into the city, lovely village, close to m50 and m4 at your door for Galway. I've a few in laws in the laraghcon estate which is a lovely estate with a mix of house types. Your price range would get you a 3/4 bed. Good luck with your move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I lived in lanesborough for two years and wouldn't recommend it. Especially not suited to an older couple imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op over the last 25 years have you come back to Dublin much? And if you have visited where would you have stayed? If you are not familiar with Dublin, would it not be better to rent in the area you are planning to buy in before sinking half a mil into a house in an area that you might not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

thanks for that. What's Finglas like as a place to live though?My impression of Finglas from that time though was not good.

I live in the same estate and find it great. Lots of facilities. Lovely park. Lots of young families, but it's a quiet area. It did have problems a few years ago, but that has long gone, thankfully.

One of my neighbours is an elderly lady and she loves the place. Nice neighbours to chat to, and friendly residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Do you have family anywhere in the Dublin area?

Templeogue, rathfarnham, Knocklyon might suit. Lots of houses close enough to motorway, lots of facilities and parks etc. 30-40 min to airport depending on traffic etc.

You could also consider one of the Kildare commuter towns. Maynooth is lovely although you'd have to be careful that your estate isn't full of student rentals, celbridge is nice too. Leixlip a bit quieter but nice community spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hello
    We (hubby and I) are returning to ireland in the next year after 25 years overseas.
    IMO, rent somewhere, and look around for a place to buy. Finglas, like pretty much everywhere else, has it's good and bad areas. Also, ensure you walk around the area in the evening, to ensure there's no other reason that the house is for sale.

If you are looking to move into Leixlip do not buy a house in one of the newer estates, as all your neighbours will be young families. Go buy a 2nd hand house in one of the estates, and you'll have neighbours around your age.

Example; http://www.daft.ie/11061599

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 SoFluffy

Hubby and I are returning after 5 years in oz, trying to find somewhere to rent in Dublin....it's so disheartening to see the rent prices....how do people afford it??! Oh well, the search goes on..back to daft again:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Goat Paddock

SoFluffy wrote: »
    Hubby and I are returning after 5 years in oz, trying to find somewhere to rent in Dublin....it's so disheartening to see the rent prices....how do people afford it??! Oh well, the search goes on..back to daft again:-)

Isn`t the property market even crazier in Oz? At least in Sydney & Melbourne. I suppose wages are alot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Palmerston, chapelizod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Paulw wrote: »

If you squint and look at an angle.

Living in an area like Finglas when the OP specified something suitable for a couple heading towards retirement and also that they could afford something bigger, in a better area. I doubt anybody would want to be bringing bins through the house on a weekly basis during retirement, if they could afford not to, I know I certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Paulw wrote: »

http://www.daft.ie/sales/30-lanesborough-drive-finglas-dublin/1057563/

Property has nothing to do with me.

Practically on M50, so easy for the west and airport. Good shops locally. Not too far from city centre.

I lived here for quite a few years, it was not a bad spot and even did well out of selling the house. It was handy for work and family and friends. My brother still lives here and I am glad I got out when I did. I stayed up for a few days over Bloom and it's mad rowdy when the weather is good, it was never like that when it was first built.

I would not recommend it for people hoping to retire as it can be a lively area, you need something further out near Liffey Valley I would think. Look for an older estate or small bunch of houses, within walking distance to a local village.

I would not recommend anywhere off m50/n3 exit either, as theses areas are full of work commuters ad can clog the roads. The Christmas traffic at both m50 n3 n4 can be seriously manic. I lived in Blanchardstown for 4 years, it was off putting to say the least.

Look for a well established group of houses also, as starter estates will be very noisy after a while.

Do all the research you can before hand though,

Good luck with your quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joanmonroe

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. We plan to spend a six weeks in Dublin over the summer and have a look around. Having looked at daft.ie and myhome.ie it seems having a front and back garden is a strong selling point for estate agents as is, access to schools, neither of which is that important to us. In fact, having thought about it,we'd probably prefer an appartment. However, I suspect appartments in dublin are mostly young people on very short leases so you never know who your neighbours are. In most other european countries, people (owners or tenants) can live 30 years in the same appartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. We plan to spend a six weeks in Dublin over the summer and have a look around. Having looked at daft.ie and myhome.ie it seems having a front and back garden is a strong selling point for estate agents as is, access to schools, neither of which is that important to us. In fact, having thought about it,we'd probably prefer an appartment. However, I suspect appartments in dublin are mostly young people on very short leases so you never know who your neighbours are. In most other european countries, people (owners or tenants) can live 30 years in the same appartment.

When your in dublin checkout castleknock, its right beside the phoenix park and would probably tick many boxes. Its also got a rail link into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

groovyg wrote: »
    Op over the last 25 years have you come back to Dublin much? And if you have visited where would you have stayed? If you are not familiar with Dublin, would it not be better to rent in the area you are planning to buy in before sinking half a mil into a house in an area that you might not like.

This, and only this.

20-30k on rent for a year is actually money saved long term if it helps you choose the correct location.

Advertisement