Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing

Options
  • 12-06-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys, first time posting here just looking for some advice. I'm currently living with my parents in an overcrowded house. I have 1 daughter and am on the waiting list for council housing. There is a house across the road which has become vacant and I am looking for advice on a way to go about getting this house?! I have contacted a td but I was told about getting a petition signed by neighbours anybody know anything about this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How long are you waiting on the list ,there is currently 8000+ waiting to be housed in cork alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SineadAll

Gatling wrote: »
    How long are you waiting on the list ,there is currently 8000+ waiting to be housed in cork alone

Hi I'm on it just 3 years but the problem is that my house is overcrowded. I understand that there is over that many people but there is currently at least 10 houses as it is boarded up in my area. I have rang them but no satisfaction they won't even hear me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You are obviously and rightly frustrated but there is a list.

That boarded house has to be returned to original spec before it can be rented back out and there is neither the funds to refurbish or maintain a new stock of council housing at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Terrible seeing boarded up houses.
    Taxpayers money used to build them and then they are boarded up.
    So a person on the waiting list can't use them, the council doesn't get any rent from them and instead must spend money to board them up. They then become anti social behaviour magnets; litter, graffiti, broken into, fires, drugs etc.

I know Alan Kelly has been making a big deal of the funding they are giving to Councils to reduce the waiting list which includes refurbishing vacant houses.
    However I am pretty sute the councils themselves have gone to the Department with a list of boarded up homes they want to refusrbish so if that house isn't on that list then you'll be waiting.

A few councillors have asked officials if those on the waiting list could take over empty houses and repair them themselves but the officials have said no way.

I'd get on to your local councillor and ask them what the story is with the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

The reason most houses get boarded up is because of the state the previous tenants left them in.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    You are obviously and rightly frustrated but there is a list.

That boarded house has to be returned to original spec before it can be rented back out and there is neither the funds to refurbish or maintain a new stock of council housing at present.

Hi, the house that I would love actually only became vacant on Monday and I knew the people that lived there, the house is perfect. I know all the neighbours but the council do not wanna hear about all that. I'm so frustrated as my house is overcrowded and my daughter needs her own space

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Terrible seeing boarded up houses.
    Taxpayers money used to build them and then they are boarded up.
    So a person on the waiting list can't use them, the council doesn't get any rent from them and instead must spend money to board them up. They then become anti social behaviour magnets; litter, graffiti, broken into, fires, drugs etc.

I know Alan Kelly has been making a big deal of the funding they are giving to Councils to reduce the waiting list which includes refurbishing vacant houses.
    However I am pretty sute the councils themselves have gone to the Department with a list of boarded up homes they want to refusrbish so if that house isn't on that list then you'll be waiting.

A few councillors have asked officials if those on the waiting list could take over empty houses and repair them themselves but the officials have said no way.

I'd get on to your local councillor and ask them what the story is with the house.

Totally agree with you. They wait until the houses are ruined which is a disgrace. The house that I have contacted them about only became vacant on Monday and I knew the people that lived there, the house is perfect. They won't hear me out. I have contacted 2 councillors and they have sent letters but don't think this will do much?! I know all the neighbours this house would be perfect for me. It's so frustrating that they won't even hear me out. My house is overcrowded with currently 8 of us living here.

calnand wrote: »
    The reason most houses get boarded up is because of the state the previous tenants left them in.

Yes this is true but I know the previous tenants of 1 vacant house and I know they left it perfect but the council still won't hand this out.

Advertisement