Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying plants

Options
  • 12-06-2015 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

I bought some seeds from Tesco (probably a bad idea) and they have finally started growing reasonably well. Unfortunately, they were just labelled 'garden meadow' and 'butterfly garden' so I have no idea what the particular plants are (or even if they're just weeds that would have grown there anyway). I was wondering if anybody might be able to identify?

The first one might be difficult as it hasn't started to flower yet. The leaves are beginning to clump together in clusters at the top of the plant.

DRJQl1r.jpg?1

This one seems to be the most 'weedy' of the ones.

lp3cohB.jpg?2

This one has a little ball that you can see attached to a stem, so I'm assuming it's going to be a poppy but the leaves are very different to the other poppy plants that are in the garden.

8IqSIhv.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The first is tricky, send on another pic when it flowers but could be something in the general chrysanthemum family.

The second looks like wild mustard.

The third is a poppy, possibly the opium one or a close relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with the above answers. The second one is a brassica - member of the very wide cabbage family - and will grow enthusiastically anywhere, I would consider it a weed. Growing mixed seeds like that is always a gamble as you are never sure until it is too late which are flowers and which are weeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Thanks for all your help. I will post a photo of the unidentifiable one once it flowers. It seems to be one of the main seeds in the box, so would be interesting (for me) to see what it is.
    looksee wrote: »
    Agree with the above answers. The second one is a brassica - member of the very wide cabbage family - and will grow enthusiastically anywhere, I would consider it a weed. Growing mixed seeds like that is always a gamble as you are never sure until it is too late which are flowers and which are weeds.

Yeah, will definitely not be doing the same next year. It was more a sudden decision based on moving in to a place early in the year. I didn't get the chance to really think about what to do with the garden.

Advertisement