Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employment on Ships

• 12-06-2015 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

First time poster in these parts, so pardon my lack of knowledge.
    I'm going into 6th Year and considering possibly finding employment on a ferry after the Leaving Cert for a short enough period. I have an OK knowledge of shipping and the industry, but what would the likes of Stena and P&O look for in a service job on board the ferry (not on the technical side, serving customers etc.)? Do you need to be bi/trilingual? Lifesaving swimming? Previous experience? Do they hire young people much? Seeing as there's plenty of ferries on the Irish Sea employing thousands, I'll assume positions come up regularly. Feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

man98 wrote: »
    First time poster in these parts, so pardon my lack of knowledge.
    I'm going into 6th Year and considering possibly finding employment on a ferry after the Leaving Cert for a short enough period. I have an OK knowledge of shipping and the industry, but what would the likes of Stena and P&O look for in a service job on board the ferry (not on the technical side, serving customers etc.)? Do you need to be bi/trilingual? Lifesaving swimming? Previous experience? Do they hire young people much? Seeing as there's plenty of ferries on the Irish Sea employing thousands, I'll assume positions come up regularly. Feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Stena are the only ferry operator employing Irish/British crews on salary's above minimum wage.

Contact Stena in Holyhead. They generally take quiet a few seasonal staff for the hotel side, however as seasonal staff must do a few short courses (Sea survival, PSSR etc) those with experience are preferred.

I'd guess that at this stage, they've probably already hired their seasonal staff, but worth giving it a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Stena are the only ferry operator employing Irish/British crews on salary's above minimum wage.

Contact Stena in Holyhead. They generally take quiet a few seasonal staff for the hotel side, however as seasonal staff must do a few short courses (Sea survival, PSSR etc) those with experience are preferred.

I'd guess that at this stage, they've probably already hired their seasonal staff, but worth giving it a try

Thanks for the info, will look into it for next year. I knew about the business with IF sacking their workers and replacing them with minimum wage workers, didn't realise that P&O conditions weren't great either.

Advertisement