Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland West Airport Knock Security / Customs Staff

Options
  • 12-06-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Any comments on the security / customs staff at Knock Airport when departing airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any comments on the security / customs staff at Knock Airport when departing airport?

Never had an issue. It's the airport with the least amount of hasssle.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Always found them very friendly and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Found them sound. ( That is high praise in Mayo )

Some years ago I was one of a party flying out. I was pulled for a random security check. No problem except that my packing was untidy

I mentioned a job I had done for the AIrport. Immediately told that was OK, good to go, no search.

In the meantime another staff member passing confirmed he knew me.

It would have been different in Dublin

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

nuac wrote: »
    I was pulled for a random security check.

Last time I flew out of Knock the machine flagged me for a patdown. I must have looked surprised - I'm a seasoned traveller, and know how to be completely metal-free for an airport scanner - so the security guy explained that the machine picks people at random for the patdown even if they scan clear.

I complained that I was being racially profiled. The security guy looked like he was about to get defensive, then realised I was taking the piss (my deadpan humour is going to get me in a lot of trouble some day) - happily he saw the funny side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

nuac wrote: »
    Found them sound. ( That is high praise in Mayo )

Some years ago I was one of a party flying out. I was pulled for a random security check. No problem except that my packing was untidy

I mentioned a job I had done for the AIrport. Immediately told that was OK, good to go, no search.

In the meantime another staff member passing confirmed he knew me.

It would have been different in Dublin

Hopefully it would have been different in any Airport that takes the security of it's passengers seriously.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it would have been different in any Airport that takes the security of it's passengers seriously.

Meh. It's all theatre anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Several years ago I arrived back on a very delayed flight from Spain into Knock. I realised I'd lost my car park ticket and asked a security guard where I should go to sort the matter out.

He looked me and my exhausted family up and down, then produced a ticket from his pocket saying "this'll get you out". Saved me forty euros or more in parking charges!

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Meh. It's all theatre anyway.

True. Sure why would anyone be carrying something dangerous onto one of them airplanes anyways? It's daftness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Ive used knock quite a lot in the past few years and never had any issues with them. find the staff in all irish airports fine to be honest.

I was travelling out of dublin for a quick trip to the uk once and had genuinely forgotten i had my knife with a 3-inch blade in my backpack. I seen it on the machine as the bag was coming through. they just said its grand but i have to confiscate it.

True. Sure why would anyone be carrying something dangerous onto one of them airplanes anyways? It's daftness.

Yup. I personally make sure that my house is completely free of nail scissors and bottled water at all times. You can't be too careful.

• Advertisement

Ah, but your home isn't a pressurised steel tube occupied by 300 strangers being propelled at 700km/hr while 35,000 feet above the ocean ....or is it?

Ah, but your home isn't a pressurised steel tube occupied by 300 strangers being propelled at 700km/hr while 35,000 feet above the ocean ....or is it?
    It's not, but if it was, I would probably still feel the same about nail scissors and bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Staff are great in Knock, none of that nonsense about tasting baby bottles in front of them as a precaution.

Great little airport, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

If i have a choice of coming back from long haul holidays either into Dublin, or into London and onto Knock with a small stopover, i take the London-Knock route because i know i'll be off the plane and out the gate of airport within 25 mins. Its a cracking setup!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭am946745

I love security at Knock!! I think my world record is 30 seconds. Like any security just have your liquids in bag. metal in trays etc. that way its pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

They do have a drug dog there sometimes. Just saying as that can be a concern to us open minded people.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Not really. Personally known to a staff member as very unlikely to be a bombcarrier.

Recall being asked in the queue at Heathrow if I was carrying explosives or other prohibited items. My reply accepted altho nobody there knew me.

Advertisement