Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time home brew, in a competition!

Options
  • 12-06-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Right,

I've gotten roped into a competition in work. We're split into team and we're having a brew off. I'm in a team of 5.
    Brewing experience on my part is limited, I've done a few home ciders with varying success. Of the other 4, one has done a fair bit of brewing (and has all the gear), the rest have last years brew off as their only experience.

The competition is pretty intense and I'm looking for suggestions as to what we should brew.

Good people of the home brewing forum, dazzle me with your knowledge!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Depends on the judging criteria, I guess. I've found that a good clean and aromatic pale or blonde ale works well as a crowd-pleaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Right,

I've gotten roped into a competition in work. We're split into team and we're having a brew off. I'm in a team of 5.
    Brewing experience on my part is limited, I've done a few home ciders with varying success. Of the other 4, one has done a fair bit of brewing (and has all the gear), the rest have last years brew off as their only experience.

The competition is pretty intense and I'm looking for suggestions as to what we should brew.

Good people of the home brewing forum, dazzle me with your knowledge!

What's your time frame and are the
    Judges into the beers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Competition isn't til mid/late August afaik (dates to be confirmed still).

The judges will be customers of ours (I work for an IT firm). So no professional judges and unlikely to be any out and out picky beer drinkers in the judging panel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Then deffo a 1.048-ish pale pale ale; low bitterness; neutral yeast; and dry-hopped with something lovely: Galaxy, Amarillo or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

I've gotten roped into a competition in work. We're split into team and we're having a brew off.

If my employers happen to read this - take note. :rolleyes:

Good luck dude. If its just a case of what tastes the nicest - probably worth researching what people are feeling. We had a work night out in alfies and one table (my table) were happy drinking all sorts. but everyone else was drinking erdinger or fischers.

Maybe go for a hoppy wheat beer, try appeal to the masses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

So it looks like we're going to do 2 beers. One will be an Irish Red Ale and the other one has to be decided.

Two beers gives us a decent chance of recovery if we make a complete hames out of one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

So it looks like we're going to do 2 beers. One will be an Irish Red Ale and the other one has to be decided.

Two beers gives us a decent chance of recovery if we make a complete hames out of one of them.

I second an American wheat beer perfect beer style for summer and not too challenging as most people will have tried a German wheat beer .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dukeellington

i'd go either one of two ways... belgian dark strong (go mental and top 12 or 13% ABV) because candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.

or go for a citrus-y hopped larger style to appeal....

Advertisement