Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling sorry

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

There - fyp

A very out of date fu*king fruitcake

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

When a patient with an illness like diabetes has a relapse, doctors view it as an opportunity to update and reinforce treatment. The same should be done with addicts in relapse.

Wat.

How do you relapse with diabetes? For people with Type 1, it's a lifelong condition. Granted, some people with type 2 are able to manage it with diet and exercise but it's still there, that in itself is treatment :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

"In Ireland people have an interesting attitude to success; they look down on it. In America, you look up at . . . the mansion on the hill and say, “One day . . . that could be me.” In Ireland, they look up at the mansion on the hill and go, “One day I’m gonna get that bastard.”"

Hah, very true. Don't think we can really deny we're a nation of begrudgers at times! Tall poppy syndrome and all that.

I agree with the poster that commented about Justin Beiber and the likes. Kids who are thrown in at the deep end to a very big and dangerous world. They're in the public eye constantly, they're adored by their fans and hated by adults (!). Fashions come and go as to whether they're loved or despised (never got either beiber-love or beiber-hate, I don't know the chap at all, for heaven's sake! Not mad on his music though). They're also under pressure from the one side to be "cool" - go out, party, etc., and on the other side to be little role-models. No wonder that most of them revel and swing to the opposite side as soon as they get the chance - Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus is a good example.

Actually, a very good article about it is on a site called Cracked.com by the ex child-actress Mara Wilson (Matilda, Mrs Doubtfire) as to why she got out of Hollywood. If you search "Mara Wilson Cracked" you should find it.

As regards addicts - yes, I would feel sorry for them in the same way as I would anyone else. They may be rich and etc. but if they're still actively working, they're in a job that tends to be extremely high-pressure for a few months, and then nothing for another period. Easy to fall back into bad habits, I'd reckon. Depression is another big one. Robin Williams lost to his demons despite being rich, famous and beloved.
    Wat.

How do you relapse with diabetes? For people with Type 1, it's a lifelong condition. Granted, some people with type 2 are able to manage it with diet and exercise but it's still there, that in itself is treatment :confused:

Relapse is a tricky word, but yes, it is possible. I was friends with an uncontrolled diabetic for a bit, lost the run of himself, shall we say. It really messes with your head as well as your body once that starts happening. You could call the relapse a loss in controlling it through proper management, I suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's far too many public figures who feel sorry because they got caught.
    That's not remorse. And they don't deserve any sympathy for that.

It depends on the situation. once you have enough money to pay the bills and have the odd treat without worrying more money doesn't make you that much happier.

Having said that individuals who accumulate as much money as the poorest 100 million Americans should reflect on how many people could be freed from the pain of debt by a tiny fraction of their wealth. When considering the problems of the super-rich remember global poverty could have been eradicated by a small fraction of the gains they made during the recession.

There's far too many public figures who feel sorry because they got caught.
    That's not remorse. And they don't deserve any sympathy for that.

It depends on the situation. once you have enough money to pay the bills and have the odd treat without worrying more money doesn't make you that much happier.

Having said that individuals who accumulate as much money as the poorest 100 million Americans should reflect on how many people could be freed from the pain of debt by a tiny fraction of their wealth. When considering the problems of the super-rich remember global poverty could have been eradicated by a small fraction of the gains they made during the recession.

So.... are you saying that you do or don't feel sorry for rich people with addictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

Just a little bit, not that there happiness or pain add anything to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would u feel sorry for a millionaire eg rockstar, sports star etc ???

There millionaires and some of them go around like there's life's are **** eg complaing about being lonley, how there addicted to drink and drugs. Us normal people have bills, family's And jobs to think about

Rockstars go to rehab and suddenly there fine a few months later they can then go on tour and travel the world. While if any of us joe soaps go to rehab and come out we have to try and live normal life's where famous people can live off there millions.

Do u feel sorry for Ozzy Osbourne because he's an addict ??

Being wealthy doesn't insulate a person from the human condition or mean that they don't need help.
    I don't feel sorry for 'them' but I don't rejoice in their suffering either. If they need help, they should seek and get it. Same as everyone.

Advertisement