Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA 2016 Qualifier; 17:00; Landsdowne Road: Republic of Ireland vs Scotland (RTE)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

NIMAN wrote: »
    We are where we are.

4th in that group is about our standard, time to accept it.

Just not enough quality. Relying on a 33 year old Championship player to provide a spark. John O'Shea is our current Player of the Year. Sums it up, really.

Ruud Dokter, the FAI high performance director, estimated it will take ten to fifteen years for Ireland's structure to get its act together and rival other nations.

If we miss out on the Euros we're likely to be 4th seeds from now on. We're looking at a lost generation basically.

Bleak times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

We won't be seeing any playoffs at this rate!

Correct. Poland away and Germany at home are tough assignments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Trap out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

obezyana wrote: »
    Ah look its not an Ireland campaign without the play offs :)
    Play-offs? How much have you had to drink? Next to no chance of getting to the play-offs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

This was one of the worst games I have ever seen in my life. Ireland are ****ing ****. The midfield is dreadful,and stop this ****ing **** that we can still qualify,we cant. Look at iceland and slovakia they are lifting and on paper we probably have a better team. I was hoping scotland would win so this **** could be over and o Neill would be gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lads on the panel speaking a huge amount of sense about structural problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

This was one of the worst games I have ever seen in my life. Ireland are ****ing ****. The midfield is dreadful,and stop this ****ing **** that we can still qualify,we cant. Look at iceland and slovakia they are lifting and on paper we probably have a better team. I was hoping scotland would win so this **** could be over and o Neill would be gone.

Never understood anyone wanting their team to lose while they still had a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Brady getting MOTM just for his crosses. His decision making in open play was pretty poor. He plays like a guy who knows if he puts in a few very good crosses people will say he done good. Saying he played great is really overstating it.

A blanket of averageness across the whole team, absolutely no one stands out in open play. Taking Hoolahan and bringing Keane on was madness too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Eamo looking for more street players, he's making sense in fairness.

• Advertisement

Darragh Maloney has no business making contributions to these discussions. Stupid questions, stupid arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

no one should be surprised, we have been regressing internationally for a long time now. Just don't have the players anymore. Whoever thought bringing roy keane on board would be any help really needs shooting. Disappointing? yes, surprising? God no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Ia dunphy basically saying let the youth structure return to the 1940's where every kid was better than messi in ringsend?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

What's the point of the FAI? How are we going to develop players when our own league is in shambles, another tournament out the window. Time to prepare for Russia. Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

What upbringing did hoolahan have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Trap out.

Trap back in...

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »
    What upbringing did hoolahan have

Played for Shelbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hopefully Gibraltar do us a favour in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Ia dunphy basically saying let the youth structure return to the 1940's where every kid was better than messi in ringsend?

I don't think he was saying that at all? :confused:

This might be taboo, but I prefer Darragh to Bill....

Play Germany on o connell Street, well beat them on the streets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

my friend wrote: »
    My gripe? Don't make me laugh, Given is the clown who went to the Euros and after an embarrassing performance claimed he had hidden an injury.

Given should never have been brought back after that, there are options and a good manager would blood the same and build their confidence

We are talking about his performance in the game because thats what your posts are about. Given is far from the main issue with our team. The majority of it is around a pathetic midfield and just generally a pathetic team who arent able to finish off teams or get 3 points when we need it. We drew the game or more to the point didnt get the win simply because we are ****, as a team, not just pointing the finger at one player. Plenty of time to blood players now when ever other country is off playing in the Euros and Ireland are at nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

He needs to go with Giles
    He has no credibility

I'd love to know when was the last time he was at a St. Kevin's, Home Farm etc game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This might be taboo, but I prefer Darragh to Bill....

It's not taboo.. but it is wrong. Darragh isn't a shadow of the host/moderator Bill was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

klose wrote: »

Come on now, how likely is that unless a few Germans get sent off or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

MON = passionless zombie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

We would have won if Giles was still on the panel.

"what do we need now martin?"

"ehhh....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lads on the panel speaking a huge amount of sense about structural problems.

I remember a chap who posted here on Boards who talked about a friend of his who had become a coach of a team of young players. The coach tried to emphasize a passing style of play on the young kids and told them not to worry about the results, just concentrate on playing football. Then a few weeks later he was confronted by the parents of the kids who told them they were sick of their kids losing and they wanted him to revert to a more direct, long-ball approach like the other teams were doing.

That sums up the stupid mentality in this country and I agree with Dunphy's comments about these parents pushing for their kids to get medals. Surely the main thing is that they get exercise, gain friendship, and learn how to actually play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MON = passionless zombie

There's not much emotion there alright but that'd be my impression generally.. he's not invested in the job at all.

klose wrote: »

Even if the whole population of Gibraltar started, Germany would still win

• Advertisement

Come on now, how likely is that unless a few Germans get sent off or something.

There's always a chance they'll invade poland and open a new spot in the table

What's the point of the FAI? How are we going to develop players when our own league is in shambles, another tournament out the window. Time to prepare for Russia. Class.

We've relied on English clubs to develop our younsters but since the beginning of the Premier League and the tons of money it brings, it is now easier for clubs to bring in more skilled and more athletic players from other countries. It's the same reason why England and Scotland have also gone to shyte in the last 20 years. The FAI have turned a blind eye to this while other countries' leagues and youth structures are produced quality. Delaney and co have been sleeping at the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pesky half time.......

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's not taboo.. but it is wrong. Darragh isn't a shadow of the host/moderator Bill was.

I disagree, but sure lets leave it there

Nib wrote: »
    We would have won if Giles was still on the panel.

...and if Billo was there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Can't do much without good goal scoring strikers and we have none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

jamesbere wrote: »
    Even if the whole population of Gibraltar started, Germany would still win
    Credit where due; that raised a smile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The three players selected in the middle was wrong. They all basically are the same type of player. The refusal of actual width in the team from the beginning is so disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Found it hilarious Dunphy's tirade on James Mccarthy he was championing him there at one stage in the trap era

• Advertisement

Found it hilarious Dunphy's tirade on James Mccarthy he was championing him there at one stage in the trap era

We all were, I think everyone expected alot more from macarthy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Nice to hear a manager for once not complain about a bad decision going against them.

Actually maybe if they lost he might have been singing a different tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The players deserve some credit, as I think the game plan and team selection was all wrong.

anyway, the campaign is all but over, and we'll be gone without so much as a whimper.

disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I think everyone has unrealistic expectations of the Irish team.

Qualifying should be seen as a miracle - it is a small country with a very limited selection of players to pick from. Look at what happened in 2012 - they were basically the joker team in the tournament.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Qualifying should be seen as a miracle - it is a small country with a very limited selection of players to pick from.

Yeah, our population and selection base is no bigger than minnows such as Scotland, Wales and Croatia for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Can't do much without good goal scoring strikers and we have none.

You're looking at that game incorrectly, we had scored, we were leading.

Lazy Given cost us a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Qualifying should be seen as a miracle - it is a small country with a very limited selection of players to pick from.

I am more disappointed this time than previous campaigns. It is much easier to qualify for the Euros than previous tournaments and we are going out with a whimper. We have also yet to see Ireland beat a team ranked higher than us in a competitive match (never really come close to be honest) and it's very disheartening to go into our last games knowing we have Germany and Poland in which we need a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Qualifying should be seen as a miracle - it is a small country with a very limited selection of players to pick from. Look at what happened in 2012 - they were basically the joker team in the tournament.

Why are Ireland so good at Rugby? The domestic league has money in it, strong support, good development structure. How many players in our squad play in the airtricity league? I can't talk cause I support a premiership side, but look at every other country , they have strong support in their own leagues. 55 quid minimum for a ticket to the aviva, where does the money go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Made the same point about the lack of ambition many times.

Linky
    Another linky

10 minutes left in the game, keeper plays it out to the left back. He plays it back to the keeper. Keeper plays it to the right back. He plays it back to the keeper. Pissed off that the lack of talent \ belief \ ambition means the ball keeps coming back to him the keper picks the ball up and 'gets rid of it' to a scottish player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You're looking at that game incorrectly, we had scored, we were leading.

Lazy Given cost us a win.

We get it..you dont like Shay Given...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Yeah, our population and selection base is no bigger than minnows such as Scotland, Wales and Croatia for example.

Ireland has the GAA which in most places in Ireland is the dominant sport/s.

Scotland and Wales have very little chance to do well if they do qualify.

Post-match everyone seems to have a reason why Ireland lost or didn't play as well they should of but the real reason is that they have are an average players in an average team that gives average performances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement