Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA 2016 Qualifier; 17:00; Landsdowne Road: Republic of Ireland vs Scotland (RTE)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

blueser wrote: »
    And you expected....what?

Whoosh......

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

I think we can all agree that we have a poor grass roots setup.if we can keep teenagers in this country playing for league of ireland teams we will improve our national team
    But that's the main problem.league of ireland is a very poor standard with no money being pumped in as the FAI have none to give.
    With no money been given and very poor attendances at LOI grounds how can it ever improve to a level than even matches the Scottish/Danish/Norwegian or simalar sized countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lads it takes a shìt tonne more money to be good at football than it does at rugby, you only have to compare the wages of the best players in each sport to figure that.

Now, add to that that rugby was an amateur sport in the not so distant past.

And again, that sweet FA nations play it to a decent standard.

The two sports are on completely different levels and shouldn't even begin to be compared.

What the IRFU done in revamping the sport is commendable, but they took advantage of a period when the entire sport was in flux. And while the FAI are doing a ****e job, they're trying to catch up to a bar which is constantly rising, an altogether different task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I wouldn't say "we're no good at rugby", we are pretty good. However, I'd very much argue against any claim that Ireland are one of the best few rugby playing nations in the world - I don't think we could claim to be in the top 6 historically for example. Our best performance in a World Cup, the main competition that all the big teams build around, is the same as Canada:

Rugby_world_cup_countries_best_results_and_hosts_rev1.png

Canada made it to the quarter finals once, on every other occasion they failed to get out of their group, whereas Ireland has always made it to the quarter finals, except in 2007 when they failed to get out of their group. Canada's highest position in the world ranking is something like 11th, Ireland have been ranked 3rd numerous times. It's a ridiculous comparison to be honest.

I wonder how many people giving out about the Irish team were inside a LOI grounds in the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

aramush wrote: »
    Poland are no great shakes, don't let anyone be fooled.

They're still miles better than us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think Martin O Neill's Celtic connections run deep. I wouldn't be too surprised if he's having a beer with the Scottish camp tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ireland aren't good at Rugby.

You're digging a hole for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

need to educate coaches in the youth system, clubs and schools Thats where the players start their journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

need to educate coaches in the youth system, clubs and schools Thats where the players start their journey.

At the end of the day it is only football. Funding would be better spent on things like math and science in schools.

Incredible disappointment.

Unfortunately not surprising when you downgrade to an overrated manager who will hopefully get the bullet at the end of this campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

I know there was a deflection, but when I see goals scored against Given over the last few years, he always seems to be watching the ball drift into the net instead of diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Given should be saving that.

i thought so too, should have dived at least...did he think it was going out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

I know the talk is around MON and Keano resigning or not getting their contract renewed if we don't qualify, but I really don't know if a change in management is going to make that much of a difference.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I know the talk is around MON and Keano resigning or not getting their contract renewed if we don't qualify, but I really don't know if a change in management is going to make that much of a difference.

Maybe if we keep them we can be 5th seeds next qualifiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Godot. wrote: »
    I know there was a deflection, but when I see goals scored against Given over the last few years, he always seems to be watching the ball drift into the net instead of diving

Given was a great servant, but was past it 5 years ago or more. Anyone recall euro 2012?
    Considering there will be 32 teams 'still in it' after the group stages, and heaps of them are makey up 'countries' like San Marino, it'll be a poor reflection on the FAI if we don't make 3rd AS A Minimum. We never truly looked like beating a poor Scotland in either game. Fcuking Scotland. At times we made them look like Brazil.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Maybe if we keep them we can be 5th seeds next qualifiers

It's not about the management though, it's about the pool of players we currently have. There isn't a secret formula in the current squad that's going to have them perform better. The simple answer is to change management. It won't achieve anything.

Thought we were a bit unlucky tonight too though. We dominated for large parts of the match, another night we would have nicked it 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We treat our kids terribly in sports. We heap a load of pressure on them and then expect results, not fun. We ask 'Did you win' not 'Did you enjoy it'. We ask 'Did you score' not 'Did you play well'.
    I coach kids and left the last club to form my own as it was borderline abuse. 8yr olds told they are not good enough to get even 5 mins of pitch time in a B's match - that came from the child welfare officer!
    We are so wrapped in our misguided belief that we know what we are doing that we don't really give a **** if it is wrong, even when it is the kids paying the price.
    Unfortunately this attitude goes all the way to the top. My local club, their league, the SFAI & the FAI. None of them have development or the player at the heart of their long term model (though Ruud Doktors plan is a good start, shame the SFAI will reject most of it).

If you really want to support football then tell the local clubs to develop & not win. Start praising the kids, build their confidence & give them freedom to express themselves on the pitch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hamann was sounding uncertain about the Germans on RTE, we have a ray of hope.

Maybe not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Lets be honest. We just have to face that we got a rotten group and we aren't good enough. Scotland have better players than us. The outplayed us in the first game and still managed to get a draw in the second despite never going into 4th gear.

I actually think the Martin O Neil reign has been a complete disaster. We should have lost to Germany and Poland and we should have beat Georgia but we only got over the line with a moment of brilliance from Mcgeady. We only got one point from our main rivals for 3rd place in the group. As bad as watch Trap was to watch, he got the most out of our team. Scotland are miles better than us and so are Wales and Northern Ireland. If James McCarthy is one of our 'young stars' then there will be very dark days ahead for Irish fotball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rugby.... Ugh

Fai... Joke

Republic of Ireland soccer team.... Forget it

Never going to a game again to fund that excuse of an association

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Exactly. We simply don't have good enough players. They can get in Pep Guardiola for all the good it would do. Personally I reckon they should give MON and RK at least the WC 2018 qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

FatherTed wrote: »
    Delaney and co have been sleeping at the wheel.

Delaney has been doing anything but sleeping at the wheel. Making a small fortune for himself on the home front while manoeuvring himself up the footballing political hierarchy, more like. He understood the mindset of the average Irish fan perfectly and has played them rather well. Always dangling the potential of qualifying for the next big one in front of them like it were a carrot in front of an ass.

Meanwhile our footballing infrastructure has decayed horribly, but John knows full well the average Ireland fan pays little or no heed to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Wales have a shíte manager, but have Bale and Ramsey. It's the only reason they're doing so well.

MON is meh, and doesn't have the players. It's always going to be difficult with that combination.

Scotland have better players. Poland have a superstar in Lewandowski.

We need to punch above our weight through a superstar player or 2, or a manager who can get the most out of meh. Realistically, we have neither. Therefore, we never really stood a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Today was disgraceful.

Can't believe I oaid 70 quid to watch that ****e.

Mon's football is pathetic.How many times was the ball passed back to given for him to lump it up the pitch? Not only that but they weren't getting as much distance as they should be. He had a groin problem in the lead up to the FA cup final as we know from the Euros Given will cover up injuries just to play. Should have never come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

callaway92 wrote: »
    Heart - Ireland
    Head - Draw; perhaps even Scotland

1-1

Can't wait for it!

Fúck sake. some bunch of putrid cunce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

SlickRic wrote: »
    Wales have a shíte manager, but have Bale and Ramsey. It's the only reason they're doing so well.

MON is meh, and doesn't have the players. It's always going to be difficult with that combination.

Scotland have better players. Poland have a superstar in Lewandowski.

We need to punch above our weight through a superstar player or 2, or a manager who can get the most out of meh. Realistically, we have neither. Therefore, we never really stood a chance.

NO they do not

We have 13 premier league players compared top their 7

Stop falling for excuses

"We don't have the players
    We don't have the players..."

We should flap our hands and whine that we don't have the players instead of doing what Scotland do and just getting on with it. We've gotten at least 10 years out of that routine.

First off, I'd get rid of Delaney. But sure he's probably on the tear or crying snot nosed about his girlfriend somewhere while we pay him 300k and people will say he was great to get us 5 mill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Right now, today, Ireland are the European / Northern Hemisphere / Six nations champions. There are only six teams in it because the remaining teams aren't good enough. Whether that impresses you or not is completely academic.

Stick to football, you haven't a notion what statistics are telling you, you haven't the feintest idea about context. Leave the rugby to the fans.

It's not academic at all. I have played Rugby and watch the southern hemisphere version of the game.

The IRFU has four realistic challengers in this continent. There's more realistic competitors in northern Europe alone to the FAI than there is in several continents of rugby to the IRFU.

A higher standard required in order to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Pure utter ****. MO'N interview embarrassing waffle. His low point, it was pathetic.

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »
    NO they do not

We have 13 premier league players compared top their 7

Stop falling for excuses

13? You counting Given and the relegated hull players in that, one that currently doesn't have a club? if you're a premier league player that makes you better?

SlickRic wrote: »

While I agree with you on the whole MON not having the players, I must say you're very harsh and ignorant to the setup Wales have. Alot of current and ex Swansea players in the squad, 3 in the backline. One of which is Williams whose a cracking Cb. Allen and Ledley are a better CM partnership than anything we or Scotland have in the middle... Then its down to Bale and Ramsey to take it from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Trilla wrote: »
    13? You counting Given and the relegated hull players in that, one that currently doesn't have a club? if you're a premier league player that makes you better?

Im saying that our squad played football at a higher standard than those in the Scottish set up

If you cant understand that its because you dont want to

Fact is that we where able to choose from a higher standard than they where but they where better

Anyone trying to pretend otherwise is in denial and its people like that who are the reason Irish football is so lackluster. A willingness to put up with mediocre performances from players just phoneing it in

Half that squad doesnt look like they give a f9ck half the time, let alone have any passion for the crest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Today was disgraceful.

Can't believe I oaid 70 quid to watch that ****e.

Mon's football is pathetic.How many times was the ball passed back to given for him to lump it up the pitch? Not only that but they weren't getting as much distance as they should be. He had a groin problem in the lead up to the FA cup final as we know from the Euros Given will cover up injuries just to play. Should have never come back

Everytime. If you rewatch the match, anytime Given got a pass back or it was a goal kick, the backs pushed up to the half way line and he lumped it long. Stone age long ball tactics trying to put pressure on there defence, which resulted in a single left foot shot on goal in the 2nd half by Robbie Keane... from 30 yards. Horribly negative manager with dinosaur tactics

Things changed abit when McClean was brought on for Glenn Whelan, there was a period of 5 or 10 minutes of good pressure but nothing really convincing. I would have liked a more advantageous manager. Trap was better at playing a similar style than O'Neill does now. McGeady and McClean are decent wingers who are capable of stretching teams, neither started tonight, I don't know if that was injury related or what.

Bringing on Robbie Keane is a sign of how desperate the Irish setup is, and I agree with alot of the posts about how poor grassroots for football are in Ireland. That said I still believe this squad of players are capable of more, at least of making the playoffs in this group. Gameover now though

Mr.H wrote: »
    Im saying that our squad played football at a higher standard than those in the Scottish set up

If you cant understand that its because you dont want to

Fact is that we where able to choose from a higher standard than they where but they where better

Anyone trying to pretend otherwise is in denial and its people like that who are the reason Irish football is so lackluster. A willingness to put up with mediocre performances from players just phoneing it in

Half that squad doesnt look like they give a f9ck half the time, let alone have any passion for the crest

Ireland had 8 BPL starting yesterday including Given.

Scotland had 5

Irelands other starters play for Ipswich, Norwich and Derby

Scotland also had a Derby and Ipswich player. One from promoted Bournemouth and another from the MLS. I think two others starting play for Celtic.

From the Irish subs I count 5 BPL players, 3 of which are relegated and one is Ward who hardly played for Burnley.

Scotland had 4 BPL representatives on the bench, they also had Anya whose a decent player for them.... And 3 more Celtic players.

Hardly better standards all round now come on! I look at their back 4 to be better, especially if we were to take Coleman out.

I'd have their options in midfield over ours, including the subs.

Scotland better keepers

Strikers - both sets not up to much imo.

No way Scotland have a better group of players imo.

They are better organised.

• Advertisement

We're not massively superior to them wouldn't you agree on that at the very least? Theyve 5 or 6 Celtic players, the rest are BPL, championship or MLS. Same as us really give or take.

Take Coleman out of our starting XI yesterday and I think the teams were even enough in terms of quality. Imo though their bench was stronger.

We're not massively superior to them wouldn't you agree on that at the very least? Theyve 5 or 6 Celtic players, the rest are BPL, championship or MLS. Same as us really.

Take Coleman out of our starting XI yesterday and I think the teams were even enough in terms of quality. Imo though their bench was stronger.

There's not much between us for sure. I just don't agree they are better than us.

Coleman was awful btw. Pretty overrated imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Ireland had 8 BPL starting yesterday including Given.

Scotland had 5

Irelands other starters play for Ipswich, Norwich and Derby

Scotland also had a Derby and Ipswich player. One from promoted Bournemouth and another from the MLS. I think two others starting play for Celtic.

From the Irish subs I count 5 BPL players, 3 of which are relegated and one is Ward who hardly played for Burnley.

Scotland had 4 BPL representatives on the bench, they also had Anya whose a decent player for them.... And 3 more Celtic players.

Hardly better standards all round now come on! I look at their back 4 to be better, especially if we were to take Coleman out.

I'd have their options in midfield over ours, including the subs.

Scotland better keepers

Strikers - both sets not up to much imo.

What is this BPL you speak of ?

What is this BPL you speak of ?

Barclays premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

mzungu wrote: »
    Exactly. We simply don't have good enough players. They can get in Pep Guardiola for all the good it would do. Personally I reckon they should give MON and RK at least the WC 2018 qualifiers.

What evidence is there they have made any progress?

We have one of the highest paid managerial teams in international football and apart from kick and hope I have no idea of our plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Barclays premier league

Fair enough I don't normally hear it called that normally it is the EPL

Fair enough I don't normally hear it called that normally it is the EPL

It's more of a fantasy football and\or fifa video-game term I think.

They are better organised.

Scotland were not well organised yesterday, they were a mess. Any run at their defence had them at 6s and 7s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Sone of you lads need to cop on. Look at our squad..you honestly believe we should get 2nd place? Come back to reality ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's not about the management though, it's about the pool of players we currently have. There isn't a secret formula in the current squad that's going to have them perform better. The simple answer is to change management. It won't achieve anything.

We played much better yesterday than we did against Poland and against Scotland in the previous game. When we knew a draw wasn't good enough the team came out with a positive attitude and with the confidence to pass the ball.

This is a classic sign of an overly cautious manager failing to get the best out of a team.

There is a formula that would get the current squad performing better, but it's no secret. Pick our best players every game; set the team up to pass the ball and play proactively (through training, instruction and motivation); approach games positively, going for the win, rather than negatively, trying to avoid a loss (you can make exceptions to this point when facing truly dominant teams, but not for normal teams).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Playing not to lose is what Trap was endlessly vilified for.

MON is no different with this set of players, except he's not as good as Trap.

Everyone should've known this is what MON would do with the team. It's not a surprise. Everyone went into this with eyes wide open.

If we'd wanted something different, we should've gone for Brian McDermott or something. He'd have at least tried to trust our players to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that we have a poor grass roots setup.if we can keep teenagers in this country playing for league of ireland teams we will improve our national team
    But that's the main problem.league of ireland is a very poor standard with no money being pumped in as the FAI have none to give.
    With no money been given and very poor attendances at LOI grounds how can it ever improve to a level than even matches the Scottish/Danish/Norwegian or simalar sized countries?

The reason the FAI have no money to give to the LOI is because they're paying that plank Delaney ~400k p/a, while the winners of the league get 100k. It's a ****ing disgrace.

I'm starting to thong the same, it's been the same for a decade now. I used to think Trap was a bit mental going on about "mentalitee", but he was 100% correct. The team don't have any sort of mentality once they get in front in a game. You can see the fear straight away. I don't know if they work with a psychologist in camp, but if they don't, perhaps they should start looking at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What was the deal with the tactics from the Irish goal kicks?
    It appears all outfield players crowded into a space on the right hand side of the pitch, just past the half way line . At times there was no player at all in the left half of the pitch.
    It looked very strange and I don't think I've ever seen it before at a football match, was surprised the RTE panel didn't comment on it

Surely we should be looking for space, not playing into a congested zone which we manufactured.
    Even Brady was drifting over to the right, and we didn't really have a left midfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Does Martin O'Neill think that hoofing the ball up field will work in this day and age.

The opposition will not hoof it back to you. They will hold on to it and make you use loads of valuable energy chasing them.

Modern pitches and better technical (Even opposition defenders) players have made this way of playing just Ridiculous.

Don't give the ball away cheaply even in the attacking third.

What other Teams are trying to play this Way ! ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

fullstop wrote: »
    I'm starting to thong the same, it's been the same for a decade now.

Brian Kerr
    Steve Staunton
    Giovanni Trapattoni
    Martin O'Neill

So, three overly cautious managers and one clueless one.

Yeah, it's the players who are causing the overly cautious football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement