Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA 2016 Qualifier; 17:00; Landsdowne Road: Republic of Ireland vs Scotland (RTE)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The above does no favours to Irish fans

How do you mean? I think we have a better team, out players play at a higher standard etc. Their team seems to play better as a unit, but if we play to our ability I think we will shade it.

Surely it's better to think that then play the underdog card we so love in Irish sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Paully D wrote: »
    The words removed:

CHYx8T7UYAEcNtT.jpg

Certainly worth €10,000 :rolleyes:

Cant blame Delaney on this one, what a ****ing shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The words removed:

CHYx8T7UYAEcNtT.jpg

Certainly worth €10,000 :rolleyes:

Inevitable really seeing as the FAI gladly took 5m as a settlement and agreed to keep it quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Scotland have inferior players to us, of we play with any sort of balls we should have a fair shot of 3 points.

And, shur, if Greece could win the Euros, why can't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Ireland team: Given, Coleman, Brady, Wilson, O'Shea, McCarthy, Whelan, Hendrick, Hoolahan, Walters, Murphy.

Very interesting line-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No real pace in that team at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ughh, no Long up front?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Murphy ahead of Long? Odd choice.

Also fúcking ridiculous that Given is starting. I can see him costing us.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nib wrote: »
    Ireland team: Given, Coleman, Brady, Wilson, O'Shea, McCarthy, Whelan, Hendrick, Hoolahan, Walters, Murphy.

Very interesting line-up.

Given

Coleman---O'Shea---Wilson----Brady

Whelan

McCarthy
    Hendrick

Walters
    Hoolohan

Murphy

I hope. Alternative is Murphy and Walters as a two which will be too narrow imo

RasTa wrote: »
    Ughh, no Long up front?
    Murphy ahead of Long? Odd choice.

Also fúcking ridiculous that Given is starting. I can see him costing us.

Murphy knows where the net is and will rough up their backline. Long can come on if necessary.

Agree on Given unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The March of the Scots up fleet Street was impressive

Not a fan of Walters on the right at all. He's much more effective through the middle.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Murphy knows where the net is and will rough up their backline. Long can come on if necessary.

Agree on Given unfortunately.

tbh I don't even know which Murphy that is :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not impressed with that team, no McGeady or McClean?

At least we have an extra man in the centre where we were outplayed in Scotland but hard to see where the goals will come from

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    Not impressed with that team, no McGeady or McClean?

At least we have an extra man in the centre where we were outplayed in Scotland but hard to see where the goals will come from

McGeady was an injury doubt. Would have liked to see McClean, though he tends to make a good impact coming off the bench against tired full backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is Shane long injured or what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Is that the same Murphy who could not hit the barn door when playing for Celtic :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

poor team in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Great promo by RTE :)

Anya is a huge loss to Scotland, he has been excellent for them in this campaign.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Thought it was that one, not good enough for the PL. Long should be in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Disgusting to have Given starting. What does that tell the team if an outdated player can just waltz in before other players who have consistantly performed better.

This team selection could be the final nail in martins tenure as manager if we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Wasn't optimistic this morning and with this team news I am definitely consigned to a bore draw. Hopefully the boys prove me wrong and give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Good god this has to be the worst irish team ever!! How glen whelen continues to get a games ill never know, o neil still cant put out a settled team, this is gonna be depressing:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No pace at all.

Awful team selection, and one Trap would've been rightly destroyed for.

I hope I'm very, very wrong and we pull out a winning performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Don't understand all the cries for Shane Long. He's had all the time in the world to claim his place up front and he's never done it. I don't have any more confidence in him than in Murphy. May as well play the man who knocked in 27 this season.

For all his appearances, Long has only scored TWO goals for Ireland in competitive matches. The others all in friendlies.

Yeah Murphy could be genius or a disaster, Hopefully the former.

• Advertisement

RGM wrote: »
    Don't understand all the cries for Shane Long. He's had all the time in the world to claim his place up front and he's never done it. I don't have any more confidence in him than in Murphy. May as well play the man who knocked in 27 this season.

Murphy starting has little to do with the 27 goals IMO.

He's a lump who you can hit with a direct ball. MON loved Heskey for instance. It's what we knew before he took the job, and nobody should be surprised that this is how we're looking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

this is going to be terrible stuff altogether 0-0 written all over it, hope i"m wrong and we scrape a 1-0 but dont know where a goal will come from. I think the scots have set up for the 0-0

SlickRic wrote: »
    Murphy starting has little to do with the 27 goals IMO.

He's a lump who you can hit with a direct ball. MON loved Heskey for instance. It's what we knew before he took the job, and nobody should be surprised that this is how we're looking now.

With Keane out, one lump is as good as the next.

MON's disdain for Tony O'Donoghue is always entertaining though.

RGM wrote: »
    With Keane out, one lump is as good as the next.

Long isn't a lump though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

mug75.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'd say Long is a bit more skilful at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mushy wrote: »
    Just saw a pic on FB...will there really be a plane calling for Delaneys resignation over the Aviva today?

Just saw on fb they got a message 5 mins before the plane was due to take off saying it wouldn't be happening. I guess Delaney got his goons involved again.

Both times Long has scored in competitive matches for Ireland (again, that's just twice), he was on as a sub. That includes the last game vs Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

For the lads giving out about the ireland team selection as a scot I can't believe we are not playing anya, fletcher or adams

Ireland and Scotland agree on scoreless draw, more on the scandal at nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Scotland will be delighted Long does not start, he has everything Murphy has and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nice to see Didi with a place on the programme. It'd be great if he could ever be a permanent panelist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The obsession with Hoolohan is bizarre IMO. He's not even a first choice player for Norwich and is far from the saviour some think he is.

The obsession with Hoolohan is bizarre IMO. He's not even a first choice player for Norwich and is far from the saviour some think he is.

Reminds me the way some man u fans use to go on about kagawa. The less he played the better he was it seemed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Yeah he only played 40 games last season starting 30 of them,fringe player at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The line up could be 4_2_3_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm pretty shocked at that team selection, particularly going with Murphy up top. I have to say I'm less confident than I was before.

Just have to hope the lads can deliver, though I fear this could be a tough watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Looks like Brady really hates sadlier.

Murphy is a much better finisher than Long, that's why he's in. We need to put the ball in the back of the net this evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement