Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question regarding bronzer/highlighter

Options
  • 13-06-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I've had a mind melt and can't believe I'm actually asking this question, but here goes..

What is the name of that stuff you brush across your cheekbones? From your ear to under your cheeks, I mean?
    You know that hollow part of the side of your face where you apply a dark powder?
    Is it bronzer or highlighter?

What does Hoola from Benefit do? I've seen ads for this stuff a lot recently.
    I'm pale...can I use the bronzer/highlighter?
    I normally apply foundation and then just blusher.

Also, I see a lot of girls applying tons of concealer under their eyes, on Youtube tutorials; it seems to be an awful lot...is this a new thing now?

Thanks girls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yes it's bronzer that goes under your cheek bones to warm up your complexion. You could also use a contouring powder which would be more grey toned than a bronzer and is used to create shadow. Benefit's 'hoola' is a bronzer and very popular! I'm pale too and I use it as its not as scary as some others around!

Highlighter then would go on top of your cheek bone, so just above where you've applied your bronzer. It's used to create/catch light and so used with the bronzer you've got a more defined and sculpted cheek bone.

Concealer is purely subjective and something you can use more or less of depending on your needs and what you need to conceal. If you don't feel need any then it's not essentially necessary to wear it. A little under the eye though is great for covering veins and dark circles. I use Mac Pro longwear concealer for under eye and find it amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks, anna, that's cleared it up for me.
    I was getting confused about bronzers, highlighters and contour powders...but you explained it clearly.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

The amount of concealer used in YouTube tutorials used to freak me out, considering the amount I normally put under my eyes. But then I realised (and it was also explained by one YouTuber), that most of these girls wear a lighter coverage foundation, so they just load up on concealer wherever they need fuller coverage. Also most of them use a lighter colour under their eyes as a highlight, so it looks like a lot on camera but most of the time it's just the difference in shades between the foundation and the concealer.

Hoola is a good product for us pale folk :) The lack of shimmer and the lack of extreme orange/warm tones, mean it can be used as a contour under your cheekbones, or else as a bronzer. Illamasqua's Hollow cream pigment is a great cream contour for pale skin as it's grey toned.

If you're ever getting your make up done, it's important to remember though that bronzer is the term for giving warmth to your complexion, so bronzers can be applied wherever the sun hits your face naturally, or all over to darken a lighter foundation. They can contain shimmer, or warmer/orange tones. Contour is to give the illusion of structure to various areas of the face, like cheekbones, or to slim down some parts, like under a jawline. The products, as said by anna above, are grey toned, and have zero shimmer. I had a friend who mixed up bronzers and contours, and ended up looking a lot darker than she wanted for her graduation. She wanted a strong contour, but ended up encouraging the MUA to go to town with bronzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Hoola bronzer is lovely for a subtle look. It is baffling how using really pale concealer under the eyes has become such a thing. Sure it may look okay in photos but in real like you look ridiculous. Subtle is always the best!

bscm wrote: »
    The amount of concealer used in YouTube tutorials used to freak me out, considering the amount I normally put under my eyes. But then I realised (and it was also explained by one YouTuber), that most of these girls wear a lighter coverage foundation, so they just load up on concealer wherever they need fuller coverage. Also most of them use a lighter colour under their eyes as a highlight, so it looks like a lot on camera but most of the time it's just the difference in shades between the foundation and the concealer.

Hoola is a good product for us pale folk :) The lack of shimmer and the lack of extreme orange/warm tones, mean it can be used as a contour under your cheekbones, or else as a bronzer. Illamasqua's Hollow cream pigment is a great cream contour for pale skin as it's grey toned.

If you're ever getting your make up done, it's important to remember though that bronzer is the term for giving warmth to your complexion, so bronzers can be applied wherever the sun hits your face naturally, or all over to darken a lighter foundation. They can contain shimmer, or warmer/orange tones. Contour is to give the illusion of structure to various areas of the face, like cheekbones, or to slim down some parts, like under a jawline. The products, as said by anna above, are grey toned, and have zero shimmer. I had a friend who mixed up bronzers and contours, and ended up looking a lot darker than she wanted for her graduation. She wanted a strong contour, but ended up encouraging the MUA to go to town with bronzer.

Thank you very much; you actually explained it perfectly, as did the previous poster.

I now know the difference...I reckon I'll pick up some of this Hoola stuff; it's rare I treat myself, but I might just do that.
    And yeah, now you've said it, bronzer ISN'T what I'd be after. I'm so pale, it was the contouring thing just at the side of my cheekbones I wanted to highlight, not make my skin oranger or browner!

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Luno wrote: »
    Hoola bronzer is lovely for a subtle look. It is baffling how using really pale concealer under the eyes has become such a thing. Sure it may look okay in photos but in real like you look ridiculous. Subtle is always the best!

I know! I was always of the mindset that concealer was to be used in small does, but seeing Youtube tutorials and the amount they use...it's baffling!

Advertisement