Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh cyclists..

• 13-06-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Just seen 3 eejits jump red in Dun Laoghaire, one had Velux on his jersey. Hope you read that and shame on you..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

This'll be quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    This'll be quick

It shouldnt be quick whatever you mean by this. I waited 15 sec for the green. It wouldnt hurt them to wait either.

Imagine if I jumped that red with them in my car. Id be probably reported or stopped by gardai before I got to blackrock. But it seems when cycling a lot of folks think theyre immune to law.

Im saying this as a cyclist and driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Need a Locksmith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I just drive into town. Guy in a golf did the same thing at a red light at the Bleeding Horse.

It's anarchy out there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

omri wrote: »
    Just seen 3 eejits jump red in Dun Laoghaire, one had Velux on his jersey. Hope you read that and shame on you..

That was me - all 3 of them. Tobh I feel kind of proud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Oh yes!! Another cyclists vs motorists thread!! I'm sure this one will have some new insights and ideas that the other 40 sqillion threads haven't had already.

endacl wrote: »
    It's anarchy out there!!!

Tru dat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

jjpep wrote:
    insights
    jjpep wrote:
    Oh yes!! Another cyclists vs motorists thread!! I'm sure this one will have some new insights and ideas that the other 40 sqillion threads haven't had already.

This is what I was referring to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

jjpep wrote: »

how is this a motorist versus cyclist thread ?

surely this is simply yet another thread on how some cyclists can't follow the same road rules as everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Throwing themselves into the road...

https://youtu.be/QlhwR8EogiE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

donegal. wrote: »
    how is this a motorist versus cyclist thread ?

surely this is simply yet another thread on how some cyclists can't follow the same road rules as everybody else.

Everybody else? Have you ever actually used a road?

jjpep wrote: »

Well I tend to do more km weekly on my bike than in my car - am I motorist or am I a cyclist.

This may not be relevant (and I mean no offence to anyone) but one would expect some casual cyclists using dublin bikes to just skip the red here and there and not "pro" looking guys in their full kit.

But again you can have eejits in any type of vehicles on the road these days. So whats better way to point it out here if theyre keen cyclist chances are they will read the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm off to the Triathlon / Duathlon forum to complain about the people in wetsuits running across the road in Skerries this morning. Shame on them.

Everybody else? Have you ever actually used a road?

i'm sorry i don't understand you. This comment makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Commuter cyclists tend to be reckless. Surprised you witnessed this behaviour from enthusiast cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

donegal. wrote: »
    i'm sorry i don't understand you. This comment makes no sense.

Your comment implied that everybody else (other than some cyclists) obey the rules of the road. I was simply pointing out that this is nonsense as anyone who regularly travels the roads of this country will happily attest.

I thought that was pretty obvious but whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

This one time, right, I saw people doing stuff. Illegal stuff. So I went on the Internet to complain. And they all saw what I said.

And it never happened again.

FACT!

Your comment implied that everybody else (other than some cyclists) obey the rules of the road. I was simply pointing out that this is nonsense as anyone who regularly travels the roads of this country will happily attest.

I thought that was pretty obvious but whatever.

i didnt imply that everybody follows the rules, but rather that the rules govern everybody equally.

the OP mentioned cyclists in a cycling forum, it has nothing to do with motorists was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

It shouldnt be quick whatever you mean by this. I waited 15 sec for the green. It wouldnt hurt them to wait either.

Imagine if I jumped that red with them in my car. Id be probably reported or stopped by gardai before I got to blackrock. But it seems when cycling a lot of folks think theyre immune to law.

Im saying this as a cyclist and driver.

Some road trip eh?

http://mlkshk.com/r/81S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Oi motorists I'm assuming your all the same and going to say you all have bald tyres like this one I just seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

I saw a car in a 24 hr Bus Lane today. String him up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

OP, while I agree with your point, you're just setting yourself up for a hiding posting here and stating what most of us know, ie there are eejits on two wheels as well on four. The majority will agree with you (so long as you acknowledge that motorists can be morons too!) but the cycling zealots will laugh and sneer at you as their Lycra can barely contain their egos and they can do no wrong :rolleyes:

Last week I was driving behind a group of local cyclists (won't name the club here) as I was dropping my daughter to her dancing class. They were cycling 6 abreast on both sides of my narrow country road holding up 8 cars behind them and forcing on coming cars to pull into driveways to let them pass. I was stuck behind them for 3 kms as they leisurely cycled up the road utterly oblivious to the queue of cars behind them. As a cyclist, I was shaking my head at the damage those morons were causing to the whole "responsible cyclist " cause, and giving motorists more stories to tell about stupid MAMILS.

Domane wrote: »
    OP, while I agree with your point, you're just setting yourself up for a hiding posting here and stating what most of us know, ie there are eejits on two wheels as well on four. The majority will agree with you (so long as you acknowledge that motorists can be morons too!) but the cycling zealots will laugh and sneer at you as their Lycra can barely contain their egos and they can do no wrong :rolleyes:

Last week I was driving behind a group of local cyclists (won't name the club here) as I was dropping my daughter to her dancing class. They were cycling 6 abreast on both sides of my narrow country road holding up 8 cars behind them and forcing on coming cars to pull into driveways to let them pass. I was stuck behind them for 3 kms as they leisurely cycled up the road utterly oblivious to the queue of cars behind them. As a cyclist, I was shaking my head at the damage those morons were causing to the whole "responsible cyclist " cause, and giving motorists more stories to tell about stupid MAMILS.

Bit surprised by peoples reaction tbh. On my way back seen 3 more guys jumping two red lights. Theyre all cycling enthusiasts judging by their gear. One in Lucan Village and two back in Dun Laoghaire.

I stop at red lights and as much as its annoying sonetimes I just do it. Period. I dont mind being s

I guess its a matter of mutual respect amongst the road users and this type of behaviour isnt helping in a long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Commuter cyclists tend to be reckless. Surprised you witnessed this behaviour from enthusiast cyclists.

Off their heads on energy gels maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Maybe the heat over the last few days just got to them!! Proves the point that we should drink more water!!

This could be down to colorblindness, and I don't think it's right the op should out them all on a public forum!

red-green-colorblind-vision.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What type of junctions where they jumping the lights at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I don't think this is a general moan about cyclists jumping red lights, it's about lads from clubs or guys that enjoy cycling as a sport and not as a means of transport, doing it, who aught to know better than to do that,and make a point of not doing it so as not to draw a bad name on themselves. Pretty sure the OP posts here a bit and didn't come in to do a bit of cyclist bashing. It's the enthusiast cyclists that end up getting abuse for the carryon from the clueless commuters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think we need another one of these threads, closed.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement